• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey FF!! Is this X-Men 15 hacked on the right???

37 posts in this topic

Why is everyone so sure this book is not trimmed? From looking at the scan in the auction, the right side of the book gets wider at the green stuff around baldys head, then gets wider until it gets to the robots head, then comes back in and gets wider again once it passes the robots neck. How does a book get trimmed at the factory like that?

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=supapimp&page=3&items=25

Check out the feedback left by infinitecapcity to supashill.

infinitecapcity( 105) Not a registered user May-09-02 15:52:36 PST 1071776472 S

Praise : ACCURATE GRADER!!! beautiful books and outstanding packaging...EXCELLENT SELLER!

Looks like you're your own best customer!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Why is everyone so sure this book is not trimmed? ...How does a book get trimmed at the factory like that?

I can't tell whether it's trimmed or not. It definitely looks weird, but since I haven't been around the cutting equipment used at the presses like DiceX has, I can't tell for sure without looking more closely at the edges, which you can't do with a scan.

And I'll throw in another $100 for a side bet that nobody can produce a blue top slabbed X-Men 15 that is measurably narrower than this one WITH A VERIFIABLE SLABBING DATE PRIOR TO TODAY. This is not off by anywhere near accepted tolerances as someone above suggested that it falls "within the range". Across the top, the book is stupid small. It does get wider at the bottom, but not by much.

You're all PO'ed at Tom because he has the 893censored-thumb.gif to admit what his eyes are telling him???

CGC can grade their 893censored-thumb.gif off. Amongst the best graders in the hobby. There's alot of excellent graders in the hobby. I have a large selection of CGC slabbed books and if I didn't believe in them, I wouldn't buy them. I buy raw too. I buy the book...nothing else. If there's a label on the slab, I ignore it and go directly to what my eyes tell me about the book.

But since no humans are God (as far as I know, even thought most here have assigned that divine honorarium), we are subject to error. My eyes tell me that the X-Men 15 isn't only narrow, it's stupid narrow. Measurably narrow, and if you allow for even liberal manufacturing tolerances in "cut", it's still not even close to an arbitrary minimum.

It's my opinion that the book is way off. Not right. Tom's also, it appears. If you'd like to crucify us for speaking our mind amidst the CGC reverant, Amen.

And I am grateful that Steve and Co. extend the courteousy to me of allowing to give my opinion regardless of their personal beliefs. That's what makes a forum interesting...divergent beliefs.

And I'll throw in another $100 for a side bet that nobody can produce a blue top slabbed X-Men 15 that is measurably narrower than this one WITH A VERIFIABLE SLABBING DATE PRIOR TO TODAY. This is not off by anywhere near accepted tolerances as someone above suggested that it falls "within the range". Across the top, the book is stupid small. It does get wider at the bottom, but not by much.

I can't imagine that there weren't presses which erroneously produced comics which were 1" wide, 2" wide, 3" wide, and so on, all the way up to the standard width the comics were supposed to be. It's the job of the operators to toss out the copies which get produced incorrectly, and I'm sure the majority of them did get destroyed. But did all of them? Surely some worse-than-average miscut comics made it out onto the stands. How can we say for sure this wasn't a production error? Were the blades so steady that they never shimmied or swayed during slicing? I don't really know; I'd like to hear DiceX or Shuley's input on this.

There are trims you can tell for sure...trims you suspect but can't be sure of...and I would be surprised if there weren't trims which nobody can detect using the popular methods. I've heard tales of CGC missing trims, including the one on that Spidey 122 you sold to Procrustean that you claimed came back trimmed upon resubmit after being Universal the first time around. I've heard no conclusive proof of them missing a trim, but I would think that they've likely missed more than a few.

PRIVATE - gotcha..... I thought he meant private as in person to person, not business to person, my bad!

Now see, I read that differently. I thought Steve meant by "PRIVATE" as the following:

A Private Auction to dissuade the "Thrill/Joy-Bidders" that are generally attracted to books of this nature in these extreme grades, to preserve the integrity of the auction for the well-intending bidders, and to ensure bidder/winner confidentiality.

Not that I know enough to comment about comic-keys as I don't buy high grade silver (or any grade), but that's how I interpreted Steve's comment....

PRIVATE - gotcha..... I thought he meant private as in person to person, not business to person, my bad!

Now see, I read that differently. I thought Steve meant by "PRIVATE" as the following:

A Private Auction to dissuade the "Thrill/Joy-Bidders" that are generally attracted to books of this nature in these extreme grades, to preserve the integrity of the auction for the well-intending bidders, and to ensure bidder/winner confidentiality.

Not that I know enough to comment about comic-keys as I don't buy high grade silver (or any grade), but that's how I interpreted Steve's comment....

That is what he was saying.

I can end this discussion right now.

The BOOK has a BLUE LABEL and therefore will be SOLD and BOUGHT as an UNRESTORED BOOK.

I have no idea if the book is trimmed or not. I will let the experts at CGC determine that. Is it possible that they could miss some restoration? I guess so.

Is it more likely that on one day they could grade the same book a NM and on another day grade it as a NM-. Yes it is.

Will the amount of money paid for the NM book be significantly more than the amount of money paid for a NM-. Yes it will.

MY POINT:

The reason CGC is in existence is quite simply because collectors got tired of buying books at ONE GRADE AND/OR UNRESTORED and then when it came time to sell, having to sell the book at ANOTHER GRADE AND/OR RESTORED.

If I bought the book in question and then decided to sell the book, I would sell it as an UNRESTORED book in the GRADE assigned. I have relied on experts (who are human), to determine any possible restoration and the grade, and will LIVE with their decision.