• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joining the "full" collector's society...seems like a no-brainer

37 posts in this topic

I have 3 books worth around $1000 each that I'd like to get graded. If the $99 fee gets me 3 free "Express" Submissions, wouldn't that be a much cheaper route to go?

Am I missing something here?

http://www.collectors-society.com/benefits.asp

"Your Choice of Free Grading with NGC & NCS, CGC or SGC! When you join, you get coupons based on your collecting preference.

If your collecting preference is Comics you'll receive: A coupon for 3 Free Express submissions with CGC. "

Given that I have 3 fairly expensive books to get graded, any reason NOT to choose this? Seems almost too good to be true.

Here's the regular "EXPRESS" pricing:

Express On-Time 5 business days up to $4000 n/a $79.00 PER BOOK.

So, if I can get 3 graded for $99, I'd be saving $132 on grading fees? Am I missing something?

Let me know before I pay 'em the $99...

Thanks!

One more thing:

I also noticed this "One year of direct submission privileges to NGC, CGC, SGC and NCS."

If I submit through Heritage I get 20% off. Any benefit to submitting directly?

I realize this probably should be posted in the "ASK CGC" forum, but I want to hear back from impartial sources - i.e. You guys who've done this already.

Thanks again...~!

I've been saying it's a "No-Brainer" for a long time... especially if you have a few larger keys you don't want to wait months to get back. The CS benefits are also useful.. the Serial # look up for instance.

There's no real advantage to submitting yourself afterwards. Stay with 20% option

I thinking about signing up my son and wife.

Do you think that'll work? You may have to use a different address, no? I know it;s not the same thing, but Columbia House & BMG, etc...won't let you sign up (you know buy 6 CD's w/in a year and get 15 free, or whatrever) if they already have an address on file. This happened to me in college. Tried to sign up, but someone the year before had joined w/ same dorm address.

Dunno, just thinking.....

Chris

I had put in for membership and the 3 free vouchers came about 1 1/2 weeks later along with a membership portfolio. I am also thinking of having my son sign up. He is honestly a collector of comics and I figure why shouldnt they allow it if he is legit. I dont believe that it should be by address but by person.

How long does it generally take to get the 3 free vouchers ? Or is it something your can redeem online as you place an order?

Thanks!

You do have to wait for the paper certificates to arrive... but it's worth it...

I have registered my wife, my cat, my tarantula, my toaster oven, my PS2, the rhododendron in the front yard, and this one fluffy cloud I saw one time that looked like Stan Lee...

I thinking about signing up my son and wife.

Do you think that'll work? You may have to use a different address, no? I know it;s not the same thing, but Columbia House & BMG, etc...won't let you sign up (you know buy 6 CD's w/in a year and get 15 free, or whatrever) if they already have an address on file. This happened to me in college. Tried to sign up, but someone the year before had joined w/ same dorm address.

Dunno, just thinking.....

Chris

I didn't do it, just thought about it. I mentioned it to Steve in Philly as a joke, but he made an expression that told me I could get away with it, but it wasn't in the "spirit" of the offer.

What if the Shuley's were room mates though?... that would suck! They'd have to flip Gman head or tail to see who gets the membership 27_laughing.gif oh the irony.. the "flipper" getting flipped 27_laughing.gif

What if you're not a Heritage member, is there a fee involved to sign up and get the 20% savings? Does Heritage also charge for shipping to CGC on your behalf (if so, you'd be paying double postage/insurance, first to Heritage then to CGC)? Does Heritage open and handle the comics as well or do they just pass them along? I'd feel safer if my books went from me directly to CGC, I think.

Lastly, can you pre-screen for blue labels (meaning, if restoration is detected CGC does not slab)?

What if you're not a Heritage member, is there a fee involved to sign up and get the 20% savings?

Sign-up is free and there is no obligation.

Does Heritage also charge for shipping to CGC on your behalf (if so, you'd be paying double postage/insurance, first to Heritage then to CGC)? Does Heritage open and handle the comics as well or do they just pass them along? I'd feel safer if my books went from me directly to CGC, I think.

You send your books directly to CGC...Heritage is only the portal for online submissions with the 20% discount.

Lousy coinee... mad.gif

893Funny-thumb.gif

Everybody knows you don't get five comic submissions...

But who listens to me... I did register in the name of my toaster oven...

"Why yes, there is a Sunh Beem who lives here but he's not here right now would you like to leave a message?"