• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Annual GA Forum Memorial Day War Cover Post-A-Thon

363 posts in this topic

Greetings to one and all.

Welcome to the 1st Annual Golden Age Forum's Memorial Day War Cover Post-A-Thon! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Within this thread, I invite all Golden Age collectors who wish to participate to post their war cover comics that span the era between 1930s-1950s. High grade, low grade, Timely, DCs, WW2, Korea, any other conflict, it doesn't matter; if its a war cover published in the 30s, 40s, & 50s, its fair game.

However, this thread isn't being started to merely accumulate hundreds of awesome GA war covers for us to share and ogle over (though, that's a great side benefit!). The real reason is to generate donations for worthy veterans groups during a time of the year where we give thanks to those who sacrified for this country.

The rules are simple: state your pledge before you post and the organization you will be donating to. After that, feel free to post as many war covers as you wish.

A good rule of thumb is a dime per war cover posted in this thread. For example, if from today to next wednesday, we as a board post 300 total war covers, you've committed to making a $30 donation to the veteran's organization of your choice. You can also choose to make a flat pledge (say $25 or $50) or set a cap on your per book pledge (say $50 ot $100), that way you can better manage your total donation.

Some simple rules for posting:

1). Please make a pledge if you chose to post. Obviously, I can't enforce this rule, but the idea here is to generate donations AND have a great time by sharing our war covers with one another. Even a minimal donation ($10) would be appreciated if you choose to post your books. Heck, if your low on funds, you can even opt to donate needed goods to a local vets group of your choice

Viewing the thread, of course, is free! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Alternatively, you can choose to make a pledge and NOT post any books. Remember, our main goal is to generate some $$$ for those who need it most.

2). Try to keep the pics and scans to one per book. I would prefer to avoid "group shots". This will keep our post count growing and help us better appreciate each war cover on its own merit.

3). Please post your own books (or perhaps a book that used to be yours that you kept a scan of). Don't swipe scans from comic sites or Heritage just to bump the post count, well intentioned as you might be. wink.gif

4). If you have a funny or interesting story to share on how you acquired a particular book, feel free to share it....we're here to have fun afterall.

5). The thread will remain "open" for new posts until late Wednesday, May 30th (the actual Memorial Day). The next day, I will post a total cover count and a list of every participant and their total donation amount. After that, everyone can go about making their donations.

This is working on the Honor system, so each poster is responsible for completing their own donations either via phone or internet donation. Feel free to post back in this thread when you're done.

If you need an organization to donate to, here are a few for your consideration:

Disabled Veterans of America

Paralyzed Veterans of America

Operation Gratitude (for those still serving in the field)

Homes for Our Troops

Blinded Veterans Association

Walter Reed Healthcare system

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to post them.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Golden Age guys pull together on this one and make a difference. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy the upcoming weekend! thumbsup2.gif

I guess I'll start things off. I'm making a flat pledge of $100 to Disabled Veterans of America.

As for my first book, this is one of my gems...great Subby vs. the Ruskies war cover. (hey, the Cold War counts too!)

SubMarinerComics-35-92_1014.jpg

I'm in and will make a dime-a-book pledge to Disabled Veterans of America.

I'll start off with this Batman #17 with the classic eagle cover. More to come! thumbsup2.gif

1808787-batman17.jpg

1808787-batman17.jpg.b1a07b73b8573805025b3b3eef3c580c.jpg