• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relationship of Golden Age books to New Collectors?????

29 posts in this topic

ok, another great question from Spartacus....

Well, i have been struggling with this one for some time. I picked up a captain america comics #17 (GREAT monster cover, black logo background & a GIANT cap in action) in GD. Its the only gold superhero book I have, and while i think its really cool, i keep wondering if i should flip it to buy something i love more. I do actively collect pre-code horror, so if you consider that gold, well then i am in. My main love other than pre-code horror is 1961-1964 Marvel, and all comics from 1972-1985. I have had other gold, like Black terror #6, Detective #105, etc., but always flip them for other books. I still haven't decided on the cap#17 yet.... I would prob trade it for a Key pre-code like weird Mysteries #5 though.

Pre code horror has not been reprinted with any consistancy, so that is the only way to read a good chunk of the great stories.

I would never advise beyond what I'm familiar with. Ask me about a new book and if it is worth picking up off the shelf. That's about as far as I'll go. That is a funny page you put up; though nipple pinching geriatrics as not my cup of... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Funny thing is I'm 29 as well confused-smiley-013.gif It's not all about completing a run and then comparing yourself to your peers for me. It's the sense of accomplishment. And the thrill of the hunt. It's why I'm chasing after variants. There is one known complete set. Maybe there are more hiding in the shadows. I want to finsh mine, just because I do. They are not great reads or beautiful covers but it's all about completing the set for me.

Oh, I try to refrain from the namecalling myself tongue.gif

First thing. 5 Stars to all those who replied. Thanks

Great info for us to deseminate and possibly we can all learn from the answers given when correlated.

Its seems from reading the posts that Golden Age is here to stay as a collectible comic. Its just the factor of worth that seems to be the unknown entity. Except for the orginal art collectors who prefer to collect in their specific area it seems from the answers given that you all will accept a Golden Age book readily. It seems to be only a matter of importance either in profit or how it fits into your other collecting needs which makes the decision for you as to wether you keep it or not. What ALSO seems to be evident is that the collecting or non collecting of Golden Age books seems to be determined by many of you by its story or lack of story content. Yet its also evident that those who are not interested in the story but in a cool cover are those more in line to collect them.

So, what in essence are we saying here. Interpretation?!?!?!?!?\

From what I am gathering. Even 10, 20, or 30 years from now, Golden Age books will always be a collectible part of our hobby, even accepted by those who do not collect them specifically. It seems only their value may change.

If you agree or disagree, please feel free to voice an opinion or add to this your own observations.

Good collecting, Jeff

It has been stated many times in one form or another that Golden Age books are no longer collected by the new or current generation of comic fans. Many say Silver or Bronze books are where these collectors spend their hard earned money due to a number of reasons.

Being a GA collector I don't qualify for the questions. But in my opinion, it will take some time for new/current gen collectors to finally be at a place where GA is a consideration. And a particular mindset on the part of the collector. I started collecting current new and then-modern back issues around 1980. I then started looking at SA and really enjoyed the less "gliizty" look (BA wasn't really BA when I started collecting - it would have been a plain old back issue). I also enjoyed seeing the characters I had gotten to know appearing in their earier incarnations. Then I started doing GA, all kinds of GA, finally settling on pre-code horror, crime and GGA. Ultimately ended up in horror but that is starting to chnage.

Anyway, I believe the collector mindset that would lead one through a similar reverse evolution requires an appreciation of the past and an appreciation of - how to phrase it - the "realness" of something. By this I mean holding a GA book in your hand and realizing that this book actually was made 50 or more years ago and represent the building ancestors that sired the later comics. Amoung the new and modern gens I know there are those who will get that thrill and want to start adding GA to their collection. One of the nice things about GA is that a LOT can be had for nt a lot of money. Lower grades, sure. But then the mindset comes into play again, when they realize they can get a VG GA book of interest for the same or less than many of the more modern HG books.

Anyway, I believe the collector mindset that would lead one through a similar reverse evolution requires an appreciation of the past and an appreciation of - how to phrase it - the "realness" of something. By this I mean holding a GA book in your hand and realizing that this book actually was made 50 or more years ago and represent the building ancestors that sired the later comics. Amoung the new and modern gens I know there are those who will get that thrill and want to start adding GA to their collection. One of the nice things about GA is that a LOT can be had for nt a lot of money. Lower grades, sure. But then the mindset comes into play again, when they realize they can get a VG GA book of interest for the same or less than many of the more modern HG books.

I know exactly what you're saying there. The reason I like Golden Age stuff is that when I first got into collecting, DC was reprinting a ton of Golden Age material in their 52 page and 100 page formats. To this day I try to only buy a Golden Age book if its stories are not already available in cheaper 1970s reprints.

But here is the paradox: with DC's Archives, we have more Golden Age material available in reprints than ever before. So I buy the books, but do I read them? Unfortunately, no. I mean, the Spectre Archives book is amazing (can anyone imagine a collection of those original More Fun Comics?) But reading 1 after another Golden Age Spectre stories is just too much! They worked much better for me as single stories sandwiched between say a Jerry Robinson Batman reprint and a Steve Ditko Creeper reprint.

There is hope however, as some of the newer fan-favorite series like Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Robinson's Starman, and Johns' JSA have a true reverance for the past, that might make a 3rd generation comics collector take an interest in the original material.

Cheers,

Z.

Cheers,

Z.

Not to go off topic here but: Isn't cheers something you usually say before you toast a drink? Not a closing?

I've always wanted to ask you that. Plus, I watched a rerun of Saturday Night Live the other day, where Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Jay Mohr were standing around a Polar Bear cage, jumping in and getting slaughtered. Before Jay jumped in, he said "Read 'em and weep". Norm McDonald said "Hey, that's something you say before you lay down a poker hand, not before you jump into a polar bear cage".

For some reason "cheers" made me think of that. Strange how the mind works!

Cheers,

Shield

Collecting golden age is definitely an acquired taste. I certainly didn't start off my collecting gold; it took many years and making a decent amount of money to begin collecting. Plus, let's be honest; without having EBAY and all these issues available, it'd be very tough to complete any runs.

Not to go off topic here but: Isn't cheers something you usually say before you toast a drink? Not a closing?

I've always wanted to ask you that.

Yeah, but it's just something I picked up at work. Most everyone signed off email with 'Regards' it got to be so monotonous so when some people started saying 'Cheers' (believe this closing is more popular overseas) I picked up on it just for variety.

Thanks for asking!

Regards,

Z.