• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Tale of Two Churches

45 posts in this topic

There is also my More Fun #52 CGC 5.5 Rockford/Cage copy. It was previously graded as a CGC 6.5 restored copy. The restoration was removed and it was resubmitted. But the pedigree designation was conveniently left off by the submitter - deliberately (no doubt to disguise the prior history which was viewed as potentially stigmatizing). I purchased the book from dealer Steve Lauterbach. I resubmitted the book to CGC so that they could "restore" the lost pedigree designation, and they did.

Mark;

Any idea who the submitter was for this book when the restoration was removed?

Any chance that it might have been Lauterbach himself since I have heard nothing but bad news about this guy? His is one of the names that constantly seems to come up on these boards whenever the topic of manipulation and undisclosed restoration is brought up.

As a collector, there are some dealers that it's just safer to stay away from no matter how nice their books may appear to be. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know for sure whether he or a colleague of his was the submitter, but the story behind the book that Steve provided me once the history became clear did not jive when I investigated it. As far as I am concerned, he knew what had taken place and tried to intentionally hide it.

The irony is that by trying to hide the book's past he likely undersold the book. BTW, the truth was exposed (by Comic-Keys of all people as I recaIl) while I was in the process of negotiating for the book so I purchased it knowing the history.

It's a brainteaser to try and follow the resale provenance of Cage's More Fun #52...

Year: 2002

• Cage copy originally certified on July 18, 2002.
  • Graded as an Apparent FN+ (6.5) with a label notation stating restoration as being: "small amount of glue on spine of cover".
  • Cage designation on right-hand side of label.
  • Restored copy did not/not have the Rockford pedigree designation on the label.
  • Cage copy sold at auction on October 9, 2002. Although the pedigree designation wasn't on the label, it was listed as being from "the respected Rockford pedigree".
  • No mention of copy being from the Nicolas Cage Collection in auction description.

Year: 2004

• Copy appears at auction again on September 30, 2004.
  • Label changed to Blue Universal with a grade of FN- (5.5) and label notation of: "Very minor amount of glue on spine of cover".
  • Cage designation not/not on label.
  • Rockford pedigree designation not/not on label.
  • Auction closes on October 2, 2004, and the book is: Not Sold.
  • No mention of Rockford or Cage in auction description.

Census:

• Original certification number: 0055531012. This number is searchable in certification database.
  • 2nd certification number: 0084149001. Copy is listed as being from the Rockford pedigree and "From the Collection of Nicolas Cage".

mf_lable_6.5.jpgmf_lable_5.5.jpg

There is also my More Fun #52 CGC 5.5 Rockford/Cage copy. It was previously graded as a CGC 6.5 restored copy. The restoration was removed and it was resubmitted. But the pedigree designation was conveniently left off by the submitter - deliberately (no doubt to disguise the prior history which was viewed as potentially stigmatizing). I purchased the book from dealer Steve Lauterbach. I resubmitted the book to CGC so that they could "restore" the lost pedigree designation, and they did.

Mark;

Any idea who the submitter was for this book when the restoration was removed?

Any chance that it might have been Lauterbach himself since I have heard nothing but bad news about this guy? His is one of the names that constantly seems to come up on these boards whenever the topic of manipulation and undisclosed restoration is brought up.

As a collector, there are some dealers that it's just safer to stay away from no matter how nice their books may appear to be. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know for sure whether he or a colleague of his was the submitter, but the story behind the book that Steve provided me once the history became clear did not jive when I investigated it. As far as I am concerned, he knew what had taken place and tried to intentionally hide it.

The irony is that by trying to hide the book's past he likely undersold the book. BTW, the truth was exposed (by Comic-Keys of all people as I recaIl) while I was in the process of negotiating for the book so I purchased it knowing the history.

It's a brainteaser to follow the resale provenance of Cage's More Fun #52...

Year: 2002

• Cage copy originally certified on July 18, 2002.
  • Graded as an Apparent FN+ (6.5) with a label notation stating restoration as being: "small amount of glue on spine of cover".
  • Cage designation on right-hand side of label.
  • Restored copy did not/not have the Rockford pedigree designation on the label.
  • Cage copy sold at auction on October 9, 2002. Although the pedigree designation wasn't on the label, it was listed as being from "the respected Rockford pedigree".
  • No mention of copy being from the Nicolas Cage Collection in auction description.

Year: 2004

• Copy appears at auction again on September 30, 2004.
  • Label changed to Blue Universal with a grade of FN- (5.5) and label notation of: "Very minor amount of glue on spine of cover".
  • Cage designation not/not on label.
  • Rockford pedigree designation not/not on label.
  • Auction closes on October 2, 2004, and the book is: Not Sold.
  • No mention of Rockford or Cage in auction description.

Census:

• Original certification number: 0055531012. This number is searchable in certification database.
  • 2nd certification number: 0084149001. Copy is listed as being from the Rockford pedigree and "From the Collection of Nicolas Cage".

mf_lable_6.5.jpgmf_lable_5.5.jpg

Well that's some crazy mess! And your point is?