• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should a GD/VG 3.0 have brittle pages?

11 posts in this topic

Actually I was wondering if it was the just the edges that were brittle. Would the label have to say something like "brittle/slightly brittle" to indicate that the pages weren't brittle throughout?

Not sure how CGC would identify such but my assumption would be some sort of indicator like you suggest since they sue Cream to Off White, Tan to Cream, etc. Why not Brittle to Tan? But no way would I consider a book with any brittleness in the pages a G/VG 3.0.

This would make a good Ask CGC question (assuming I cannot find the answer on the main web page). I recently picked up a CGC World's Finest #7 with "Slightly Brittle" pages. Was sweating it somewhat since as a CGC comic, no returns allowed. Once I cracked the slab, I found the book to have at least what I consider average paper quality for early Golden Age. Pleasantly surprised, as I've gotten a few books that lose small paper flakes every time you try to turn the page! flamed.gif Thankfully this book was a long way away from that state.

So my new guess is that "Slightly Brittle" is a page quality designator somewhere along the White/Off-White/Cream continuum. But I've not yet stumbled upon an official statement to that effect, and I'm not sure where "Tan" or "Brittle" fit along that scale. Anybody?

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gifThis is a rhetorical question, correct, as since there is a link, clearly the answer is yes. Why do you waste my time with this drivel? 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Here's a better question -

"Since CGC has given a Universal G/VG 3.0 Grade to a book with Brittle pages, how high do we think a book can be graded WITH Brittle pages?"

Ask that question instead of whining about how CGC has graded a book. mad.gif

I guess that's what happens when you ship a book to an anthrax high risk site and the USPS decides to "microwave" your book... confused-smiley-013.gif

I didn't know Tom Daschel collects comic books???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gifThis is a rhetorical question, correct, as since there is a link, clearly the answer is yes. Why do you waste my time with this drivel? 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Here's a better question -

"Since CGC has given a Universal G/VG 3.0 Grade to a book with Brittle pages, how high do we think a book can be graded WITH Brittle pages?"

Ask that question instead of whining about how CGC has graded a book. mad.gif

Instead of whining about my post, maybe you should 893blahblah.gif and 893blahblah.gif or 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Christ, what's up your arse? It's not like I addressed the post directly to you. Instead of wasting your time, ignore the thread.

There, I changed the "can" to "should." Ya happy, Slappy?