• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alex's Paradise Comics Convention report

46 posts in this topic

Well,

Since Jim did such a great job on the report from the dealer side, I will take you through the con from the guest and sketches side.

FIrst off, I would like to say thanks to Peter and Kevin for making this another great year. I think I had more sketches at this con than any other (more on that later).

Right now, I am in a good deal of pain from walking around for 3 days. But it was worth it. That was a lot of fun.

There were tons of signatures to get as well for the Signature Series. Thanks to everyone who sent in books. Everything was done for SS books. thumbsup2.gif

FRIDAY

The only notable person who didn't make it was Dale Keown. Which was even stranger, as there were people who were setting up his booth on Friday, an hour before the show started. confused-smiley-013.gif

So, Friday I rolled in about an hour and a bit before the show started. I said hi to the CGC guys (Paul, William, and Scott). I took a quick look around to see who was there and went to town. My first goal was to snag a piece or original art by Joseph Linsner. And so the stalking ensued. I eventually saw them trying to find their booth and led them to where they needed to go. And after giving them a chance to settle down, Eva (Hopkins) was kind enough to work out a commission with Joe. I managed to pick it up on Sunday. I absolutely love it:

LinsnerElektra.jpg

I also bought the brand new limited edition of Girls and Goddesses, the new pin-up book by Joe Linsner. Make sure you don't read it if your wife is around, as there is lots of nudity in this one:

goddess.jpg

As the show started, the fans started to roll in. I said my hello’s to Michael Golden, Marv Wolfman, Georges Jeanty, Jerry Robinson, Tom Grummett, and Dave Sim to name a few. Speaking of Dave Sim, I managed to snag an absolute awesome sketch from him of Cerebus as Captain America on a Fallen Son sketch issue. He spent 3 hours on it:

cerebus.jpg

And if you think that is awesome, wait until you see the back cover. I won’t show that one until it comes back from CGC. Needless to say, it will knock your socks off.

As I made my way through the artist alley, I said hi to my good friend Alex Perkins. He had done a commission for me from a previous show and had finally completed it. This was totally beyond my expectations. He truly kicks *spoon*. This guy will one day be drawing for a major title:

PerkinsElektra.jpg

I said hi to Chris, Drew and Jim. Went past Cyclone Comics and said hi. Saw Carlos (Gotham Central on the boards).

Went by and got a sketch from Georges Jeanty for my wife:

GeorgesSpike.jpg

He was really cool. I did get in trouble for calling him sir. Very nice guy though.

My next sketch was from Tania Del Rio who draws Sabrina the teenage witch:

TaniaDelRioElektra.jpg

I heard there was a nasty storm that hit around 5:00 PM, but I never saw it. I left around 8:00 PM and began writing up CGC forms at home. More later…

I really like this....

PerkinsElektra.jpg

c'est tres bon!

did you really request the "death scene," or did he just draw it that way? either or, pretty killer

I really like this....

PerkinsElektra.jpg

c'est tres bon!

did you really request the "death scene," or did he just draw it that way? either or, pretty killer

I just said "Elektra". He did the rest.

More stuff tonight. I'm really swamped at work right now to do any more.

Alex

SATURDAY

Believe it or not, I had a tough time getting to sleep on Friday night. I think I finally went out at about 1:00 AM. Woke up with my daughter at 5:30 AM, and went back to sleep at 6:30 for an hour. I looked like I had been drawn by Charlie Adlard (insert zombie joke here) when I got to the show. tongue.gif

But enough of me. I got a chance to meet a whole bunch of people on Saturday including Matt Wagner, Kaare Andrews, Cary Nord, Mark Sparacio, Billy Tucci, Gail Simone, and John Livesay just to name a few. I spent most of the day getting SS books signed including Marv Wolfman who signed a huge stack of books in a private signing.

I also had a chance to meet former wrestler Trish Stratus. She is actually married to a guy whose brother is a comic dealer. I had someone take our picture, and he looked at the back of my non-digital camera and asked where the screen was. 27_laughing.gif

TrishStratus.jpg

The Silver Surfer made an appearance at the convention:

Surfer.jpg

I didn't get a lot of sketches for my sketchbook on Saturday, but that was mostly because I was getting head sketches on books. Wait till you see some of these. I'll post Pirate's if he will let me. They are awesome. headbang.gif

Here is a sketch that I managed to pick up from Marcio Takara later in the day:

Marcioelektra.jpg

Before I left, I bought a stuffed toy for my daughter. It was what is called an "Ugly doll" but this one was really cute:

F1000005.jpg

At the end of the show I got together with Jim, Drew and Chris and went to Hooters. Jim proceeded to make fun of my Michael Golden sketch (and no, I will not post it). We sat on the patio roof and shot the *spoon* for a couple of hours.

When I got home I was pretty sure I was hallucinating. This is a picture of me on my couch at home on Saturday night:

Simpsons.jpg

Sunday to come...

Started Sunday morning getting a quick sketch from Matt Wagner:

wagnerbeast.jpg

I had private signings with Darwn Cooke, J. Bone, and Kaare Andrews on Sunday but other than that it was sketch city. First up is Jason Yungbluth:

YoungbluthElektra.jpg

Jason Yungbluth also wins my annual award for book to check out. He put out a book called Weapon Brown, which is basically a post-apocolyptic vision of Charlie Brown as a cyborg. Funny and creative, but not for the faint of heart. Check it out if you see it:

weaponbrown.jpg

I managed to get one more sketch for my sketchbook from Mike Perkins:

MikePerkinsElektra.jpg

And a commission from J. Bone who is working with Darwyn Cooke on the new Spirit book:

Jbone.jpg

I also managed to get 2 Fallen Son sketch issues for Beyonder and Ares, but I don't have scans of those.

Before the show ended I got my picture with Joe and Eva:

JoeandEva.jpg

Towards the end of the show I got my picture with local TV celeb Liana K.:

LianaK.jpg

But then I "accidentally" took things too far:

Lianaheadlock.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Over the next month or so, I am sure you will see additional sketches. It was a ton of fun. thumbsup2.gif

Another great Con report. I am really glad to see you had a great time.

Thanks for posting the photos, and scans Alex.

thumbsup2.gif

Ze-