• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago Friday Night Aug 10 Dinner at Frontera Grill: Anyone Interested?

26 posts in this topic

Ok, here's the deal: The Forum Dinner is Saturday Aug. 11. On Thursday night a bunch of the hard-cores who go to preview night will likely hit the Ram in Rosemont.

Some people (hi hi.gif Ze-Man!) have expressed interest in having dinner at Frontera Grill in downtown Chicago (see http://www.fronterakitchens.com for info) on Friday night. Sounds like a good idea to me as it's my favorite restaurant in all da city. cloud9.gif

How many people would be interested? If it's just a handful, we can probably get a table in the regular dining room for up to 8 people. If it ends up being a bunch, we will likely have to try to get the private room downstairs.

SO: Please post here if you're interested in attending. And serious about it. Frontera just won the James Beard Award for Outstanding Restaurant. The chef/owner Rick Bayless has been all over TV lately such as the Today Show, Oprah, Iron Chef, and he has his own TV show. It's a hot ticket at the moment.

If we only have a few people and do a table upstairs, we should be able to order off the regular menu. If we have a larger group and do the private room, I may need to set up a selected menu and it'll probably run about $50 or $60 a head (I can get more specific costs once I know how many people we have).

There ya go! Post here with interest and how many people would be attending in your party. thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

Of course I'm in. Three days in a row with comic geeks. Yikes.

Please note that my sister-in-law's due date is 8/10, so if she's on time, I'll be bailing.

The food there is really outstanding. The drinks aren't bad, either grin.gif

Angelo

So.... Are you in? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Working on it grin.gif

Angelo

Good news, I'm in!

Angelo

yay.gifheadbang.gif I'm thinking Pre-hero Monster theme. You have to have a name tag that says "Hello my name is _____" with Zzutak, Googam, Thorr, etc. 27_laughing.gif

The food there is really outstanding. The drinks aren't bad, either grin.gif

Angelo

So.... Are you in? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Working on it grin.gif

Angelo

Good news, I'm in!

Angelo

yay.gifheadbang.gif I'm thinking Pre-hero Monster theme. You have to have a name tag that says "Hello my name is _____" with Zzutak, Googam, Thorr, etc. 27_laughing.gif

"Hello, my name is Gomdulla" headbang.gif

I am in too!!

Sorry for my tardiness I had not checked the Events forum recently.

Myself, Greta and little Ellen will be able to make it (if its ok with everyone that Ellen comes, she behaves pretty darn well when out with company)

And we will also have a car if anyone needs to hitch a ride to the City.( I might hitch a ride back into town if Greta and Ellen need to bail early)

Thanks for doing this Steve, Greta will be thrilled to get a chance to go back there, it has been years.

Let me know what money you need up front to cover expenses.

Ze-

Ok, here's the update for today, June 18

What:

Frontera Grill Mini-Forum Dinner

When:

Friday, August 10, 2007 (Friday night of Wizard World Chicago), Time TBD but shooting for 8:00 pm

Where:

Frontera Grill/Topolobampo, 445 North Clark Street, Chicago IL 60610 tel: 312-661-1434

http://www.fronterakitchens.com

Attendees thus far:

Rhino (I can take 3 or 4 people who need a ride) and possibly Mrs. Rhino

143ksk

Flying Donut

theWatcher (aka Gomdulla)

HUSH + HUSH's brother

Ze-Man, Greta, and Ellen

That's 9 people, and if we get up to a dozen or so I'll try to get a private room downstairs. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If you're interested and want to come, speak up! thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

How close is this place to the con?

It's in downtown Chicago. Probably about a half hour or so drive with traffic, 20 minutes with no traffic.

Angelo

27_laughing.gif on a Friday night? frustrated.gif

It's in downtown Chicago. Probably about a half hour or so drive with traffic, 20 minutes with no traffic.

Angelo

27_laughing.gif on a Friday night? frustrated.gif

If it's at 8:00 pm, shouldn't be too bad. Your times may vary. There, are you happy? poke2.gif

Angelo

Travel times can vary greatly depending on traffic, and on a Friday night it'll be semi-heavy. I did figure an 8:00 pm dinnertime would give people plenty of time to get out of the con at the end of the day (the con closes at 6:00 pm but if any dealers decide to join us I wanted them to have time to pack up) and then of course traffic to downtown.

My advice: leave early, so you have more time for margaritas! thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

And Pirate, if you need to hitch a ride I have room in the Rhino Taxi.

--Steve

Ok, here's the update for today, July 7.

I am hoping to confirm everything with the restaurant within the next week week, so if you're interested please post or send me a PM! Thanks!

What:

Frontera Grill Mini-Forum Dinner

When:

Friday, August 10, 2007 (Friday night of Wizard World Chicago), Time TBD but shooting for 8:00 pm

Where:

Frontera Grill/Topolobampo, 445 North Clark Street, Chicago IL 60610 tel: 312-661-1434

This is downtown, not by the convention center -- but well worth the trip! I can take 3 or 4 people in my car if anyone needs a ride.

Web site: http://www.fronterakitchens.com

Attendees thus far:

Rhino and possibly Mrs. Rhino

143ksk

Flying Donut

theWatcher (aka Gomdulla)

HUSH + HUSH's brother

Ze-Man, Greta, and Ellen

That's 9 people, and if we get up to a dozen or so I'll try to get a private room downstairs. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If you're interested and want to come, speak up! thumbsup2.gifyay.gif