• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko Art! Let's see it . . .

45 posts in this topic

Supposedly, Ditko retains most of his Dr. Strange artwork. They should see the light of day at some point.... when he is done using them as a doormat on rainy days... blush.gif

I've heard similar things, Dan, from people who have been to Ditko's place. He has OA laying around that he uses as a buffer matt when he cuts thing on his artboard with an exacto knife, etc. Don't know if it's really true, but that's the rumor.

I've heard the exact same thing for years. Really, the only one who knows the truth is Mr. Ditko himself.

He's still shunning the spotlight. Still doesn't do sketches, still no interviews. I've heard he did some essays for a fan project/magazine called "The Comics." I"d love to read some of those, just to see what he thinks about.....well....anything.

Ditko has produced a decent amount of work over the past 10 or 12 years but much of it has been for independent publishing books and a lot of it has focused more on his beliefs in objectivist philosophy rather than traditional superhero type comic books.

There's a great TPB called Avenging World by Ditko that was produced by him and Robyn Snyder in 2002 and reprinted lots of his stuff from the 1970s through 2002.

Well, I certainly respect Ditko's right to keep his art, but it'd also be nice if he could benefit financialy from his years of work. If he really is hanging on to his art, he could make a fortune if he ever put them o the market. I guess he could be saving them for his family. We might find out some day.

Well, I certainly respect Ditko's right to keep his art, but it'd also be nice if he could benefit financialy from his years of work. If he really is hanging on to his art, he could make a fortune if he ever put them o the market. I guess he could be saving them for his family. We might find out some day.

People often think this, Snappa, but Ditko subscribes to objectivist philosophy. And although Ayn Rand embraced capitalism, a central theme of objectivism is that one live one's own life to suit oneself. Ditko has not seemed to be interested in financial gain (perhaps due to the altruistic and right/wrong aspects of objectivism which often leads to the view that taking money that comes from a source one feels is "dirty" or corrupt or wrong is as bad as being corrupt or wrong oneself). Only Ditko knows for sure, but the bottom line is that he's living his life to suit himself, and as long as he doesn't feel the need to sell his art, or that for some reason selling his art goes against his beliefs, he won't sell it. He knows what his art is worth and the financial benefit it could bring him. He has simply chosen not to sell it, for reasons that only he knows.

People often think this, Snappa, but Ditko subscribes to objectivist philosophy. And although Ayn Rand embraced capitalism, a central theme of objectivism is that one live one's own life to suit oneself. Ditko has not seemed to be interested in financial gain (perhaps due to the altruistic and right/wrong aspects of objectivism which often leads to the view that taking money that comes from a source one feels is "dirty" or corrupt or wrong is as bad as being corrupt or wrong oneself). Only Ditko knows for sure, but the bottom line is that he's living his life to suit himself, and as long as he doesn't feel the need to sell his art, or that for some reason selling his art goes against his beliefs, he won't sell it. He knows what his art is worth and the financial benefit it could bring him. He has simply chosen not to sell it, for reasons that only he knows.

I can see both sides here. On the one hand, why not sell some art and live very comfortably? On the other, if he's already happy, why change anything?

I wrote to Mr. Ditko years ago when he did the Dark Dominion cards for Defiant, asking him to sign a book for me. He hand wrote a half page letter telling me he was too busy to sign it. I thought it odd that he could write the letter, but not sign the book. I've learned so much more about him since then, and I really respect his decisions and his ability to stick to them, regardless of what the rest of the world thinks.

I like that attitude and philosophy, I wish I could adopt it more in my own life.