• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Con - Forum Report

129 posts in this topic

I am really sorry that you didn't stop and look closer at the books. And I hope it wasn't simply because of my price on 1 book. I had 2 solid copies of Amazing Spider-man #17 in pretty good grade (7.5/8.0 at 650.00 sticker, and one slightly nicer at 900.00).

I don't want the reputation of being extremely aggressive with pricing. I don't really think it is deserved on most of my books, and I think every dealer I have ever looked at has some books which are too high. I have about 30 long boxes of high grade Silver Age which generally runs from 7.0 (mostly pre 1965 stuff) to 9.6, and those books are raw. I had a guy stop at my booth just a couple of shows ago and told me he got a 9.6 on a book from my boxes that I had priced 10.00 over guide(65.00). Most of the high grade dealers in the country regularly buy books from me at the same discount I will offer to any customer. Pretty sure that could not happen if I was too agressive with my pricing.

I will be the first to admit, I am generally not going to sell my CGC books at the same prices that they will go for on ebay. If that means I am too high, I guess I am. I know the last time I looked at GPA, there were 15 cent Iron Mans that were listed at 46.00. That is just insane. A 40 year old comic in 9.4 is worth more than that. I probably have submitted 600 books this year (not including 500 now in at CGC), and 9.4s and 9.6s are tough to get. All that being said, I try to be as fair and as reasonably priced as possible. I sold a Ghost Rider #18 and 20 last night for 75.00 each. I am not sure if that is high or low by GPA standards, but I thought it was fair, and apparently so did the customer.

I would suggest this. Stop by my booth and actually take a look at the majority of my inventory and make up your own mind. Especially before you say that I am extremely agressive in pricing(Chrisco37 I am really not trying to pick on you, I would welcome you to my booth anytime). Most shows I have at least 5 or 6 people come by the booth, look around the room, and then they come back and tell me that I have the best inventory at the convention. I am always very grateful, as I spend a ton of time shopping for books and I weed out all the low grade trash so you don't have to do it. Sometimes I pay alot to get this good stuff and have to price it accordingly. Sometimes I get better deals and can pass the savings along to you. I have a ton of repeat customers and I value them. I try to treat everyone fairly, and I will always make you the best deal that I can on a book.

I am really sorry that you didn't stop and look closer at the books. And I hope it wasn't simply because of my price on 1 book. I had 2 solid copies of Amazing Spider-man #17 in pretty good grade (7.5/8.0 at 650.00 sticker, and one slightly nicer at 900.00).

I don't want the reputation of being extremely aggressive with pricing. I don't really think it is deserved on most of my books, and I think every dealer I have ever looked at has some books which are too high. I have about 30 long boxes of high grade Silver Age which generally runs from 7.0 (mostly pre 1965 stuff) to 9.6, and those books are raw. I had a guy stop at my booth just a couple of shows ago and told me he got a 9.6 on a book from my boxes that I had priced 10.00 over guide(65.00). Most of the high grade dealers in the country regularly buy books from me at the same discount I will offer to any customer. Pretty sure that could not happen if I was too agressive with my pricing.

I will be the first to admit, I am generally not going to sell my CGC books at the same prices that they will go for on ebay. If that means I am too high, I guess I am. I know the last time I looked at GPA, there were 15 cent Iron Mans that were listed at 46.00. That is just insane. A 40 year old comic in 9.4 is worth more than that. I probably have submitted 600 books this year (not including 500 now in at CGC), and 9.4s and 9.6s are tough to get. All that being said, I try to be as fair and as reasonably priced as possible. I sold a Ghost Rider #18 and 20 last night for 75.00 each. I am not sure if that is high or low by GPA standards, but I thought it was fair, and apparently so did the customer.

I would suggest this. Stop by my booth and actually take a look at the majority of my inventory and make up your own mind. Especially before you say that I am extremely agressive in pricing(Chrisco37 I am really not trying to pick on you, I would welcome you to my booth anytime). Most shows I have at least 5 or 6 people come by the booth, look around the room, and then they come back and tell me that I have the best inventory at the convention. I am always very grateful, as I spend a ton of time shopping for books and I weed out all the low grade trash so you don't have to do it. Sometimes I pay alot to get this good stuff and have to price it accordingly. Sometimes I get better deals and can pass the savings along to you. I have a ton of repeat customers and I value them. I try to treat everyone fairly, and I will always make you the best deal that I can on a book.

*sigh*

I probably should just post nothing on this subject, but I think I've got to be fair -- otherwise praising some dealers and criticizing others really becomes meaningless if I don't publicly say what I would probably say privately. What I mean is this -- I've met Dale -- I like Dale -- but... I cringe when I hear the justification that a 40 year comic book "has" to be worth more than $46 -- because it's 9.4 and old. That logic makes no sense. Just like the statement that GPA should be studied as if it is a pricing bible. The truth is, prices are determined by what's in demand -- not the age + condition gives you a price. For right now, it's a apparent that Iron Mans in the 40s simply don't reflect sales data that would warrant paying over $50 (and that's if its slabbed).

Is Dale "extremely aggressive" in pricing? On the whole, probably not. At least not in comparison to many other dealers. Is $650 an agressive price for a 7.5 ASM 17 -- well who makes that call? Can I find one accurately graded for much less? Absolutely. Does that make the $650 price "aggressive" -- not necessarily. Obviously dealers rely on their own data about what they can and can't sell and for what prices. Most buyers do NOT approach buying like people on the boards. They see a book, they make up their minds if they can afford it and want to pay that. No haggling, just, I can afford this, and this book is a nice looking old Spidey.

Whether this is a good way to approach or not is irrelevant -- only that dealers have to converse with all sorts of customers -- and that includes those of us who are tire kickers and grade scrutinizers and price debaters and GPA quoters. Maybe that makes us more "informed" buyers -- and we are more patient as a result -- but dealers are going to price their books according to the masses.

Does Dale have a nice wide selection -- ? Yes. Would I recommend him? Sure. But -- generally when a board member criticizes for pricing -- especially one as knowledgable as chrisco, who has shopped with many, many high end dealers -- it does say something credible about some potentially aggressively priced books. Still -- just one guy's opinion.

*sigh*

I probably should just post nothing on this subject, but I think I've got to be fair -- otherwise praising some dealers and criticizing others really becomes meaningless if I don't publicly say what I would probably say privately. What I mean is this -- I've met Dale -- I like Dale -- but... I cringe when I hear the justification that a 40 year comic book "has" to be worth more than $46 -- because it's 9.4 and old. That logic makes no sense. Just like the statement that GPA should be studied as if it is a pricing bible. The truth is, prices are determined by what's in demand -- not the age + condition gives you a price. For right now, it's a apparent that Iron Mans in the 40s simply don't reflect sales data that would warrant paying over $50 (and that's if its slabbed).

Is Dale "extremely aggressive" in pricing? On the whole, probably not. At least not in comparison to many other dealers. Is $650 an agressive price for a 7.5 ASM 17 -- well who makes that call? Can I find one accurately graded for much less? Absolutely. Does that make the $650 price "aggressive" -- not necessarily. Obviously dealers rely on their own data about what they can and can't sell and for what prices. Most buyers do NOT approach buying like people on the boards. They see a book, they make up their minds if they can afford it and want to pay that. No haggling, just, I can afford this, and this book is a nice looking old Spidey.

Whether this is a good way to approach or not is irrelevant -- only that dealers have to converse with all sorts of customers -- and that includes those of us who are tire kickers and grade scrutinizers and price debaters and GPA quoters. Maybe that makes us more "informed" buyers -- and we are more patient as a result -- but dealers are going to price their books according to the masses.

Does Dale have a nice wide selection -- ? Yes. Would I recommend him? Sure. But -- generally when a board member criticizes for pricing -- especially one as knowledgable as chrisco, who has shopped with many, many high end dealers -- it does say something credible about some potentially aggressively priced books. Still -- just one guy's opinion.

all good points, but you lost me at "...as knowledgable as Chrisco..." seeing as he actually bought a book from Crazy Ed.

poke2.gif

*sigh*

I can buy that, and I would agree with all of it, except the part about the prices for the CGC books/ GPA prices. Price is not dictated by demand along, it is also dictated by supply. I have not gone back and looked, but it seems like most of those issues which were 40 something dollars, there was very little sales data. I can tell you one thing. Let someone, anyone in the country break out about 1000 15 cent Marvels on set up day at San Diego for 40 - 70.00 each(and I am talking about Hulks, Caps, Iron Mans, etc), and that guy won't have ANY books by the time the show starts, because ALL of the dealers there will be buying the books up.

Another note to that, I have sold Hulks, Iron Mans, Captain Americas, Daredevil, Sub Mariners, Captain Marvels and more from this exact same time period for 90 - 135.00(depending upon the books) and several copies of some of them. Of course these sales are not reported, because they are at conventions. I would guess the majority of GPA is based on ebay sales, which is limited to the value which 2 people place on a book at 1 given time. There are books on ebay everyday that I would purchase for more than the items end at, but I simply don't have time, or won't take time to look.

Regardless, as I said, I would agree with most of what you have to say. My goal is not to be the cheapest dealer at the show. That guy never has any books. My goal is to provide quality books to quality buyers at a reasonable price. And I would welcome business from any of you guys. Foolkiller, as you know, I am new here. I don't really know who you are(I am sure I would if I knew your name or saw your face), but you seem like a very reasonable guy. Stop by and talk to me some time. Later

One other note on this topic, I sold 6 - 8 different Iron Man issues between #21 - 52) which were raw and probably in the 8.5 to 9.2 range this weekend. All of those books sold at Overstreet guide price, which means those issues sold from $35 - $18. How can raw books bring those prices and a CGC 9.4 be worth only $45.00? I am really just throwing that out for discussion, not trying to specifically argue with 1 person.

*sigh*

I can buy that, and I would agree with all of it, except the part about the prices for the CGC books/ GPA prices. Price is not dictated by demand along, it is also dictated by supply. I have not gone back and looked, but it seems like most of those issues which were 40 something dollars, there was very little sales data. I can tell you one thing. Let someone, anyone in the country break out about 1000 15 cent Marvels on set up day at San Diego for 40 - 70.00 each(and I am talking about Hulks, Caps, Iron Mans, etc), and that guy won't have ANY books by the time the show starts, because ALL of the dealers there will be buying the books up.

Another note to that, I have sold Hulks, Iron Mans, Captain Americas, Daredevil, Sub Mariners, Captain Marvels and more from this exact same time period for 90 - 135.00(depending upon the books) and several copies of some of them. Of course these sales are not reported, because they are at conventions. I would guess the majority of GPA is based on ebay sales, which is limited to the value which 2 people place on a book at 1 given time. There are books on ebay everyday that I would purchase for more than the items end at, but I simply don't have time, or won't take time to look.

Regardless, as I said, I would agree with most of what you have to say. My goal is not to be the cheapest dealer at the show. That guy never has any books. My goal is to provide quality books to quality buyers at a reasonable price. And I would welcome business from any of you guys. Foolkiller, as you know, I am new here. I don't really know who you are(I am sure I would if I knew your name or saw your face), but you seem like a very reasonable guy. Stop by and talk to me some time. Later

Dale -- you do know me... I'm Brian Ketterer (the Asian guy with glasses who's also a tire kicker). I played poker with you once at Harley's game in Baltimore -- and I wander by your booth whenever you're at a show I'm at -- I last saw you at the NY Comic Con when you and Richie Evans were hanging out and I was searching for 10 cent DCs... see you in Chicago.

With regards to the sales, sure GPA is just one tool, not the pricing bible. On the other hand, I think dealers can also become married to their way of thinking regarding pricing -- and they stop looking at what's going in the market beyond their world. Which means that there are going to be some buyers who see their pricing as "high" in comparison to other outlets they have available to them. In some cases, I have to admit that i think dealers need to readjust their pricing -- but not just because GPA says so.

Brian - cool, of course I know you - Good to talk to you again. I don't really consider you a tire kicker, just a discerning buyer. I think if I had what you wanted, you would buy it. You know how incredibly tough 10 cent DCs are, and I think if you find the right books, you are willing to pay the price it will take to buy them.

In regards to pricing, I am always thinking about pricing. A few years ago, a few of the "high grade" dealers were constantly buying me out of almost everything that I got in. 2 very prominent high grade dealers in particular bought a ton. 1 guy spent almost 100K in a years time, and now he is one of the biggest high grade guys around. I think if you compare my books to other guys who actually have high grade comics, you will find that my prices are competitive and in most cases lower, and my selection as good as anyones. And alot of my stuff is new. Sure, everyone has some books that hang around a while, but I hardly every do a convention in which I don't have at least a couple of boxes of brand new product. That is approximately 1 /15th of my inventory and generally at a good convention, I will sell nearly that much product.

Any time that I have a convention that I consider a little bit down, I always think about pricing. Anyone in business should. It is always a balancing act between being able to find the product at a reasonable price and pricing the books so that they will sell. Sometimes I have to pay more than I should, and sometimes I take a chance on a book, knowing that I am probably paying too much, but I think the book is hot or in demand enough to bring a premium. That is pretty much what I did with the Bat #232. I have seen a 9.0 sell recently for 300.00 (comiclink). There are 2 on comiclink basically at 1000.00 (one of those is mine, the prettiest and cheapest one by the way). Probably too high right now, but I would probably sell that book for 850.00 at a convention. By the time Josh or Ebay take 10%, that is basically what I am getting anyway.

I remember specifically 1 book which you looked and and commented on at NYCC. Green Lantern #76 which I had graded at 8.5/9.0 and priced at 800.00. You thought the book had a very good shot at a 9.0. I looked the book over thoroughly and thought it was probably an 8.5. However, another dealer from the NE bought that book from me at retail price. I don't know if 8.5 for 725.00 is a good price. I know that it sold, and to another dealer at that.

Anyway, it is a reasonable discussion to have, and I think it is good to have a dealer's input instead of only customer's input.

Bats 232 is a great example. Since there are multiple outlets I could buy a CGC 9.6 Bats 232 for less than $1k, probably around $875, then why pay $850 for a 9.0? The market has shifted on this book, and a 9.0 is no where near a $850 book.

I don't disagree with the fact that your inventory and selection is very nice. I also know other dealers have shopped with you and been satisfied on the whole. But I also know that sometimes people come by, especially on keys, and see a book they want but are immediately turned off if the price is "outrageous". Of course, I'm not saying that a dealer ought to completely change their pricing habits -- simply that there should be some recognition of the buyer's pricing data when negotiating a price. If there isn't some give and take on keys and bigger books, then it makes it difficult to really have a dialog.

I welcome having a dealer's input. And I always seek out hearing the dealer's side of the table -- and I think I understand it as well as any collector -- but I also view some dealers as being arcane (not you) with how they view their aggressive pricing, and I do believe that in many cases, it's really hurting them more than they realize.

By the way, if you come up with 10 cent DCs I was looking for, yes, I'd buy them -- though these days I've been appeasing my boredom by buying ultra high grade Caps and some Spideys.

Hey Dale, Welcome to the Boards!

I dropped by your booth and picked up some really pretty ASM Annuals on Friday.

The price was higher than others, but the HG grades were WELL WORTH IT!

I am the guy in Steven's pizza photo enjoying a nice Cuban Montecristo Cigar

after a fine meal with brews.

You might remember me as the guy pestering you about CGC's.

grin.gif

I stopped by your booth quite a few times during the show, Dale. And, I checked out the above Spidey's. They were very nice books.

Sorry that it looks as if I singled you out in my report. I didn't mean to come off as attacking your pricing. You are allowed to price books however you want. I would have liked to have purchased some books from you. For the record, Dale had the best inventory at the show, IMO. Lots of books, and most in HG. The kind of dealer that I usually look for first at a show. Those that know me, know that I will usually pay sticker for a book that I want (unless I'm either: buying a bunch of books at once, or if I've bought a good amount fromyou at the show earlier). Do I like a deal? Sure, who doesn't? Will I take a lower price, if offered? Of course! I'd be a fool if I didn't (see my comment about the book I bought from Crazy Ed. I was checking it out, and he asked me what price I would pay!). I'm not one of those collectors that comes to a Con armed with my Guide and ready to open it up and debate over a few bucks. I don't even use GPA; I don't sell/buy near enough to warrant it, and I very rarely go to eBay (35 feedback in 4+ years tongue.gif).

All that said, when I check out a display and there are a bunch of books that are what I think are "agressively priced", I'll usually pass on looking further as, even if I were to get a discount, it would still be a little higher than what I would feel comfortable paying. Maybe a poor assumption on my part, as I have never bought a book from you and don't really know "how it works" with you. The Bats #232 was one that stuck out for me. I think that book is a $750-800 book in 9.4. I sold my 9.2 for $325 at peak Batman Begins movie-hype (granted it was to a buddy, so I didn't want to squeeze every last penny I could out of it). Your 9.4 was a very nice book (smoked my 9.2 "gift-grade" copy). I just don't think it's a 1K book. Hopefully, for you, someone else does.

Again, I apologize if I singled you out, and I certainly didn't feel like you were picking on me in your response. Just defending your pricing. I welcome the "debate" and dealer input here. It' always good to hear from the other side of the table, even if it's not in line with my thoughts. I will most certainly stop by your booth and check out your books. If you've got something I want, at what I feel comfortable with paying, I'd buy it.

So, no hard feelings. flowerred.gif

I def checked out your books as well. Very nice all around. I know in my case i was on a very limited budget and knew exactly what i wanted. I know i wanted a few of the books you had to offer, I JUST couldnt pay the price. But someone will. I think its just a matter of who wants it and how bad.

Thanks guys. Sounds like I know most of you guys. I would still like you to stop by so I can put a face with the name.

Brian, the only thing about your opinion on the Batman #232.... I paid a solid figure for that book, I guess I could sell it at a loss, but I don't do that. I will get the figure I want for the book, or I won't sell it. If that means I have it for a year, then that is okay with me. I don't know 1 dealer of any consequence that will sell a book like that for less than they pay for it, just because a portion of the market changes.

I also am not sure where you find your numbers on the prices. No copy in 9.4 or 9.6 has been sold on ebay. No copy in 9.6 is available on comiclink. There is a 9.0 which recently sold at 300.00, which is at least note worthy. Honestly, if I saw a Batman #232 in 9.6 for 875.00, I would probably buy it if the book truly looks like a 9.6 and is not a gift grade. (You said a 9.0, but I think you meant 9.4, which is what I have). I know for a fact that it is at least a 600.00 book because I have a standing offer for the book.

Sounds like it is generally a good group of guys on here. Thanks for all the welcomes and the comments.

That is cool, I don't remember anyone looking at the Am Spidey #17s though. Maybe just checked them out without taking them off the wall? I actually think I even have a 3rd copy that is 500.00 in my box behind the table.

So you think the Batman is probably a 750 - 800.00 book. I said I would probably sell it at 850.00, so really not that far apart after all. By the way, no hard feelings on my part either. I try not to take things personally and try not to read things as personal attacks. I just don't want to be known as someone who is the highest priced guy around, because I know that I am not.

Thanks for the welcome. Definitely remember you, and the Annuals. Funny story, another dealer came to my table and was telling me about someone stopping by his booth with some Amazing Spider-man Annuals. He told me you showed them to him, and said you had the ones you got from me, and a few others as well. He said you paid a little bit more for the books from me. When he looked at them, he said he commented on how much nicer the ones you got from me were than the other issues. Not sure if that is how it really transpired, but that is what he told me.

That is cool, I don't remember anyone looking at the Am Spidey #17s though. Maybe just checked them out without taking them off the wall? I actually think I even have a 3rd copy that is 500.00 in my box behind the table.

So you think the Batman is probably a 750 - 800.00 book. I said I would probably sell it at 850.00, so really not that far apart after all. By the way, no hard feelings on my part either. I try not to take things personally and try not to read things as personal attacks. I just don't want to be known as someone who is the highest priced guy around, because I know that I am not.

Look on the bright side, at least you dont use guerilla warfare tactics like crazy ed. im pretty sure by the time i left his booth he had my SS # and mothers maiden name. grin.gif

Glad you stopped by. I always hope everyone will stop by the booth. I think if you do, and you stop and talk to me, we can probably do some business, as I try to be pretty easy to work with. Always drives me crazy when people don't even stop and look. Even if you don't buy anything, I enjoy people stopping by the booth and I welcome you to stop and look. I am not one of those guys who doesn't have time for you unless you buy stuff from me.

Dale, you know I was just kidding when I told you at Harley's game that people here were complaining about your pricing, right? Truthfully, I hadn't heard anything specific about your books up until now...

But thanks to Chris for making a liar out of me. flowerred.gif