• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop buying???

53 posts in this topic

"I guess the people who got run over by the out of control 18-wheeler would probably commend your intelligence as well. As in: Thanks for nothing Smart !"

Warning those poor people is great. Jumping around the bodies yelling, "I told you so, I told you so!" serves what purpose exactly?

I haven't been reading all of these doom and gloom threads (I don't own any anti-depressants and must guard my health).

I majored in economics and minored in philosophy in college and so am far more swayed by the rational/logical arguments of Gene, ComicINvestor, and a few others on this Board than by the bleating sheep whose only retort seems to be calling people "Doom and Gloomers" and "chicken little". Not that I buy so many CGC books (their expensive as we all know), but they have definitely convinced me to stick to buying raw ungraded stuff until the market comes down further.

Why are all bearish posts met by namecalling? I sure as hell wish that someone like Gene had warned me about the stock market before my 401k fell by 45% last time i checked and before I lost 80% on my technology stock "investments". The bullish people on this Board sound alot like my friends and coworkers who were goading me on to put more and more of my money into stocks.

Now that their brilliant advice has helped me lose thousands, are they accountable for their actions? OF course not. Dr Banner, Joanna, Clobberingtime-if I follow your hopelessly optimistic advice and sink a chunk of money into the CGC market now and the market continues to fall, will you reimburse me for losses? It's all good to give out this cheap fluff advice but that is all it is in the end

Your ridiculing of what i think are very strong arguments could be costing alot of people alot of money in the future..think about it before your hubris costs collectors more money.

Peace out,

The Angry Tinkerer

Wow - I am impressed now! Econ and philosophy. How about explaining Kant or the categorical imperative to us. Well I have a JD myself and there are a few others of us around here as well as MDs and other types of doctors and opinions seem widely varied as to the so-called crash. My beliefs are not based on my phi beta kappa but on my 30 yeays of collecting experience. High end over speculated book prices are down - no foolin' !!! Any lame brain can tune into ebay and see that. What does it mean for next month or next year or ten years from now- little. Just part of that cycle thing you econ majors study.

Dr Banner, Joanna, Clobberingtime-if I follow your hopelessly optimistic advice and sink a chunk of money into the CGC market now and the market continues to fall, will you reimburse me for losses?

Show me one post where any one of us encouraged you (or anyone for that matter)

to "sink a chunk of money" into CGC books? Didn't think so...

These are exactly the kind of lameass responses I expected from you guys..why break form now I suppose. For a lawyer you sure don't put together a very convincing case (do you win much??).."gee I saw an ad for the new Spidey DVD and so Spidey books are bound to go up." You're a real market genius, aren't you? I'll be sure to tell all my collecting buddies about your AMAZING and SPECTACULAR insights..got any good stock tips for me so I can sell short using the little cash I have left? Better stick to your legal briefs and torts and spare us from your awesome mental capabilities.

Peace out I'm Audi

*TINK*

comicinvestor wrote:

>Overstreet Guide has 25-30 years of hard, historical data behind it, and other >than extremely rare, early-Silver and Gold comics, "throwing it out the window" ?>and paying many multiples for common late-Silver, Bronze and Modern books >makes you a Grade-A insufficiently_thoughtful_person in my books. It's not like there won't be 5-10 more >on EBay next week.

The experienced people at Overstreet have seen this type of phenomenon before and I am impressed that they so far have resisted to raise prices. The best previous example is probably Disney comics in the 1970s, where both market and Overstreet prices went into the stratosphere. When the bubble burst, the prices for those comics came to a cryogenic standstill for more than a decade.

No matter if you are a speculator or a collector for all the right reasons, imagine what it would be like to watch the value of your collection stay dead still from now on until 2015 or 2020? It would be lethal to the hobby and certainly to the publisher of a price guide.

I think it is ok to have the values of high grade books rise at an above-average rate for a few years - this is justified because of the internet and certified grading. What we, as real collectors, have to becareful about is not to let speculators dictate the pace. I totally agree with comicinvestor about not paying above guide for most comics. If we don't, people like JP will eventually cut their losses and get out. If we follow the hype, on the other hand, we are headed for an encore performance of Disney comics in the 1970s. That is about as fun as watching the stock market has been for the last couple of years.

I don't know! I thought I had Meth going pretty good for a while but that has chilled out - he challenged me to a physique posedown via the internet about the same time he challenged Supa for that $50,000 bag of money. Noone smart would ever challenge an attorney for a bag with $50k in cash though - I don't care if you're bigger than the Hulkster I would not bet against the lawyer! Anyway, Tink has not quite reached that level yet but he certainly seems disgruntled!

hey Canada boy - just thought I would let you know, if I weren't sitting here waiting for appointments at 2:00 and 3:00, I would already be at the beach. High of 86 today, partly cloudy - same for the next 4 days. Ah - thank goodness you have all that bacon and Moosehead up there to keep you warm. Ha-ha-ha( diabolical laughter).

So what exactly do you say is a crash anyhow... I have heard that one is coming, but what exactly would it intale??? A complete meltdown of all prices (like a NM copy of ASM#14 dropping to $50? and all bronze age going into the quarter bin?) or just the crazy multiples of guide price disapearing and a leveling of prices... I think many of us out here would love to understand this more from all points of view without a full out economic lesson, but an answer on how it would directly effect us as collectors and the value of our collections.

'best

Bronzejunkie

Dr Banner, Joanna, Clobberingtime-if I follow your hopelessly optimistic advice and sink a chunk of money into the CGC market now and the market continues to fall, will you reimburse me for losses?

I'm still waiting for you to show me one post where any one of us encouraged you (or anyone for that matter) to "sink a chunk of money" into CGC books? You can't, because there isn't one, which makes you wrong. Hey, there's a first time for everything! tongue.gif

I would not bet against the lawyer!

Clobberin, although I have the utmost respect for the law discipline, I am in a discipline myself where I get a chance to send lawyers chasing their tails, almost every time I get called into a deposition. It's not intentional, but I often end up raking lawyers over the coals on various types of technical issues. They must have clients with super-deep pockets most of the time! My testimony saved us a suit for approx. $50 million a few years ago (with our own legal help) & I actually enjoyed it, because it's my area of expertise, not theirs. laugh.gif

Not sure exactly what you are talking about. I was referring to the wrestling challenge handed out by the 240lb Meth against the 150 lb Supapimp where Meth said he would bring a bag full of money to the contest with him. I have never known anyone to bring a bag full of money to anything attorney related and escape with it. And I am sure that you could whip up on any poor attorney fool yourself as you related.

Rick, You said: Better than California? I haven't seen a better Variety anywhere else.

While I'm sure the 'selection' is wonderful, it is obvious that you've never been to Miami! Just MHO.

Chris