• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reynold Jay

24 posts in this topic

We often give Reynold Jay [!@#%^&^] for the ridiculous Captain Canuck price, but I just bought two books from him, a Swamp Thing 37 (first Hellblazer) and a Hansi, The Girl Who Loved the Swastika, and boy are these books gorgeous. They're on their way to CGC shortly. Just stunning!

Rub it in why don't you? I wonder which dashing collector about town you out-bid for that Hansi... tongue.gif

I actually got a nice one in the mail today too grin.gif

Please note that I'm happy you backed off, as I had a "sillymoney" top bid on this.

Sweet...however, methinks you may have to clean your scanner bed... confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, I know. My scanner is gross. Rules for good scanning:

1) Do not have a black haired dog.

2) Do not have a black haired wife.

3) Do not let 8 year old son use scanner to send Yugioh cards out while eating pretzels.

4) Do not keep scanner near air conditioning vent.

Rub it in why don't you? I wonder which dashing collector about town you out-bid for that Hansi... tongue.gif

I actually got a nice one in the mail today too grin.gif

Please note that I'm happy you backed off, as I had a "sillymoney" top bid on this.

I don't blame you, that looked like a sweet book. Thankfully there was no need to walk down that scary path...

from "Gone But Forgotten"

HANSI:THE GIRL WHO LOVED THE SWASTIKA

Yeah, that Hansi sure loves the Swastika. Why, I don't think I've ever seen anyone who loved the swastika more than our girl Hansi. Boy, what a swastika-lover.

This chunky hunk of embarassment comes to us courtesy of Christian comic-book makers Spire Publications, who also brought us Hello I'm Johnny Cash and the comic-book adaptation of The Cross and the Switchblade ("I could kill you..." "Yes, you could Nicky! You could cut me up in a thousand pieces and every piece will still love you..."). Ideally, these stories are supposed to be inspirational and offer lessons in faith to the young reader. And with a cover like that, what kid wouldn't be inspired...?

Here's the story: 1938, the Nazis invade the Sudentenland and whereas everyone ELSE seems petrified and panicked, Hansi's absolutely thrilled that the Nazis have brought BOOKS ... cause they didn't have those in the Sudentenland, apparently. Inspired by that famous Nazi hospitality, Hansi partakes in, and wins, a competition which sweeps her off to Prague to study as a Hitler Youth leader. You go girl.

Now before taking off, Hansi's bedraggled mom reminds her "don't ever forget Jesus." Nonetheless, by the time Hansi's on the train, she wouldn't recognize Jesus if he were sitting next to her, still pinned to his sticks.

Hansi ends up as some kind of Gestapo Candy Striper, taunting injured German soldiers. "I lost MY ideals when I lost my eyes on the Russian front." says one poor kid. "We are nothing," snaps back Hansi, cheerfully, "The Reich is everything!"

Anyway, eventually Germany falls (my favorite line in the whole book "Germany surrendered! The dream ended! The nightmare began!" Unless you were a Jew, Communist, gypsy, homosexual or dissident, in which case, the nightmare had ended - the authors of this book, I can't believe 'em), and Hansi and her fellow nurses or schoolmates or whatever are captured by the RUSSIANS! And dig this - every night, the Russians invade the barracks of the female prisoners to RAPE THEM - except Hansi, cause ... she's too skinny. I can't make this stuff up, folks. Now, despite hearing that Americans were gum-chewing gangsters (Which is apparently worse than being a tyrant and rapist....), Hansi and the girls make an escape attempt across no-man's land (all the raped girls get shot to death. Hansi makes it across...the message here?), and then are greeted by Americans --- CHEWING GUM!

Eventually Hansi ends up as a teacher in the Bavarian Alps, meets up with her old love Rudy, and they settle down and get married. Unfortunately, the marriage is rocky until they introduce the Bible into it. Kay, whatever floats their U-Boat. Then, inexplicably, Hansi and her family (kids invisibly appear along the way) decide to emigrate to America, but it turns out to not be as near as great a place as they'd heard.

Anyway, she sets up some kind of ex-Nazi self-pride Christian study group in various jails around the country. Wouldn't you?

Here's a couple things to consider about this book:

First off, is Hansi really the role model most Christians would want to have? She's the most gullible girl in the world! She believes anything she reads, f'r cryin' out loud. She starts off believing the Bible cause it's the only book she has, then some Nazi gives her ANOTHER book so SHE becomes a Nazi, then she hears the Bible's cool again, so she picks that up, then she hears America's cool, and goes there, only it isn't .... MY GOD! Plus, the sublimated lesson here is "Read anything other than the Bible, and you'll become a Nazi." Nice, charming. Does that mean if I read Archie, I'll join a bubblegum pop band?

Secondly, Hansi escapes being raped. I puzzled this one awhile - after all, wouldn't it reinforce the wrongness of her abandoning Jesus and increase her reader sympathy if she HAD been raped? But then I got the message that all the girls who HAD been raped had gotten killed - you see, the comic's saying that Hansi could never have been a pure and good Christian if she HAD been. She woulda been tainted. And the girls who'd gotten killed escaping the camp were LUCKY to have been spared living with what was done to them.....

Hey Donut, lucky for you that ya got a deal and quality books from him. Hopefully he has cleaned up his act. But I would still warn anybody to be cautious when dealing with him on raw books. That cheap S.O.B sent me a Star Wars Collection 2 years ago that he said was NM/NM+ #1 to 107 missing about 10 issues. I paid over $300.00 for the set and the 893censored-thumb.gif sent me a VF avg set including several books with serious flaws like water damaged rippled copies which he had listed on his site for like $1.00. I asked him for a partial refund since I did not want to bother returning the books more time and money wasted to ship them back and he said after figuring out what I paid per their retail value he would send me $1.75 for the damaged books. I wanted to find him and kick him in the..... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

That blows me away! I can't believe that was published.

Chris

Contents-wise, it's truly a nutty book and then there's that bold, supremely well designed, but totally bizarre cover- what's not to love?

grin.gif

There were a bunch of other Spire books, including a pile of Archie titles.

http://www.carpsplace.com/spire/spire.htm

I've only owned a couple beyond Hansi and they couldn't hold a candle to this book in terms of weirdness.

In case the name doesn't ring a bell, Al Hartley, who did the Hansi cover, was a long-time Archie artist.

it's truly a nutty book and then there's that bold, supremely well designed, but totally bizarre cover- what's not to love?

Absolutely. Donut's description hooked me. I'm going to keep my eye out for one. I'd love to read it.

Chris

Hey Donut, lucky for you that ya got a deal and quality books from him. Hopefully he has cleaned up his act. But I would still warn anybody to be cautious when dealing with him on raw books. That cheap S.O.B sent me a Star Wars Collection 2 years ago that he said was NM/NM+ #1 to 107 missing about 10 issues. I paid over $300.00 for the set and the 893censored-thumb.gif sent me a VF avg set including several books with serious flaws like water damaged rippled copies which he had listed on his site for like $1.00. I asked him for a partial refund since I did not want to bother returning the books more time and money wasted to ship them back and he said after figuring out what I paid per their retail value he would send me $1.75 for the damaged books. I wanted to find him and kick him in the..... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Don't also forget that he ends "no reserve" auctions if he doesn't like the end price. What a loser.

That blows me away! I can't believe that was published.

Chris

Contents-wise, it's truly a nutty book and then there's that bold, supremely well designed, but totally bizarre cover- what's not to love?

grin.gif

There were a bunch of other Spire books, including a pile of Archie titles.

http://www.carpsplace.com/spire/spire.htm

I've only owned a couple beyond Hansi and they couldn't hold a candle to this book in terms of weirdness.

In case the name doesn't ring a bell, Al Hartley, who did the Hansi cover, was a long-time Archie artist.

He's also responsible for the POS Journey Into Mystery 90 that sits right in the middle of Kirby's run. mad.gif

Cool book Donut!