• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art you regret selling....

64 posts in this topic

Not as special as the ones you sold, Bill...but I kind of regret selling any Kirby piece...

Of course I got to buy OTHER stuff...but I think I should have sold some jewelry instead..;0 Eternals15pg23JackKirbyPencilsMikeR.jpg

You have some spectacular things on this board:)

I've loved them all in my own way.... to me, my original comic art collection is a movable feast. I enjoy so much, but it is ridiculous to keep it all. Not to all, but to me. Doesn't help the hobby to hoard; and if someone enjoys a piece more than me and is willing to back it up with $, then why shouldn't they own it. While I would sell most any and all for the right price, there are quite a few that would not go unless really sick money was paid. Why not? I can always replace with something I like as much at a fair or bargain price. Like I said, there are some I know I can't replace, so I will hold onto them until someone values them more than me, but after all, it's just lines on paper and we can't take it with us..... much more important to keep the persons we love dear close to our thoughts, and spend our time with them. Our families can't be replaced, but art......?

As for the pieces that will not be leaving anytime soon.... Barr's Doc Savage 3 cover, Starlin's Hulk painting, Bolling's Little Archie 33 cover, Kirby's Cap America 196 DPS, Romita's Avengers 117 Cover, there are several more....

Well, Dan and Ciorac, your throwaways would be other people's treasures. But here's a question, probably more for Dan than Ciorac, because Dan is still very much in the hobby.

Did you ever fall in love with a piece? Something you loved so much, you would not sell it not matter what the price? If so, what was it? And do you still have it?

- A

I sold my entire collection in 2005 to pay for a new car while I was in college. I regret parting with a few of the pieces but there is one I really wish I could've kept.

ss171.jpg

Buscema...... cloud9.gif

Not as special as the ones you sold, Bill...but I kind of regret selling any Kirby piece...

Of course I got to buy OTHER stuff...but I think I should have sold some jewelry instead..;0 Eternals15pg23JackKirbyPencilsMikeR.jpg

You have some spectacular things on this board:)

Very nice Sharon! Thanks to all who have posted their regrets so far. It is quite cathartic to know that I am not alone in this....... grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well, I don't know if you'd call it regret, because I generally always plowed the dough back into other pieces or traded for other pieces, but this gallery represents a small, yes small, amount of the art I've sold. Ok, I may regret a couple.... wink.gif

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=41425

893whatthe.gif

Well Dan, I can see quite a few pieces in that gallery that I would greatly regret selling, and a couple that I would NOT have been able to part with. hail.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Bill, considering the piece that you did sell frown.gif you have no credibility saying you would have kept anything! Ah well. Try to focus on the warm and fuzzy vibe from that tec '27 you have! cool.gif Or all those all other cool pieces. Can't own everything, as BZ put it, try as we might smile.gif

sorry.gif

Good point.........

I really felt that the DD 1 page was the one I would never, ever part with. But I got into this divesting mode and before I knew it, the page was being handed over to romitaman at Chicago a couple years back and he was handing me a large stack of hundred dollar bills.

Turns out it the timing was good. Chicago 2005 was a couple of weeks before Katrina. So when the storm came, we evacuated and I still had that huge wad of cash. When we came back, the house had been destroyed. The art would have been lost. And, having that cash was very beneficial as every bank in the county was closed for several weeks after the storm, so cash was king.

Now that it has been two years, I really miss the art and might start collecting again.

Very nice Sharon! Thanks to all who have posted their regrets so far. It is quite cathartic to know that I am not alone in this....... grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks Bill:) I lurk a little but I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the wonderful things on these threads...

and I'm not big at taking pictures and posting...but I will try a little more often:)

hi.gif

Dan F - you're collecting philosophy is exactly like mine...I couldn't put it any better.

Agreed - I regret selling everything I've sold but I never sold something without having something that I wanted more in the pipeline.

Wow those are some incredible pieces. I haven't parted with an original art at this point in my collecting. Maybe I'll trade some in a few years if a piece I really want becomes available. I haven't really given it any thought.

What a great thread. As Dan said, you sell some pieces to afford others. I will start with a couple and update as the weekend goes by:

First up:

ASM12splash.jpg

personally, I would like to see what page got this one out of your hands!

I've loved them all in my own way.... to me, my original comic art collection is a movable feast. I enjoy so much, but it is ridiculous to keep it all.

I really enjoy reading your posts Dan, as it seems you can't help but dispense the wisdom of experience. "Movable feast." You might want to copyright that before it catches on.

I can always replace with something I like as much at a fair or bargain price.

Also very true. Here's another question, have you ever overpaid for something? Do you ever find something so compelling that you have to have it and pay top dollar for it? Do you have a conflicted feeling afterwards, or is it just, well that's what I had to do to get this piece? Or is it something else altogether?

after all, it's just lines on paper and we can't take it with us..... much more important to keep the persons we love dear close to our thoughts, and spend our time with them. Our families can't be replaced, but art......?

Truer words have never been spoken.

Overpaying is something I think everyone has done at some point in the game. Don't forget, if you win something on ebay, you have effectively overpaid by outbidding everyone else. I have overpaid for several pieces in my collection. Why? Well, the primary reason is often to close the deal immediately and prevent the piece from coming into public view (ebay, auction house, etc). I have often said that I would rather overpay privately than get into a bidding war with some of the BSD out in the collecting field. Case in point would be the KJ page that has everyone salivating in the upcoming Heritage auction.

One other benefit of overpaying is that you often get first crack at future pieces from a collector or dealer based on your track record for spending big on the right piece.

Overpaying is something I think everyone has done at some point in the game. Don't forget, if you win something on ebay, you have effectively overpaid by outbidding everyone else. I have overpaid for several pieces in my collection. Why? Well, the primary reason is often to close the deal immediately and prevent the piece from coming into public view (ebay, auction house, etc). I have often said that I would rather overpay privately than get into a bidding war with some of the BSD out in the collecting field. Case in point would be the KJ page that has everyone salivating in the upcoming Heritage auction.

One other benefit of overpaying is that you often get first crack at future pieces from a collector or dealer based on your track record for spending big on the right piece.

Agreed. However, for me, there has to be a 'within reason' side to overpaying.

In relation to one of my other posts, on another thread, I find it somewhat insulting to be 'privately' offered a piece of art by a dealer that recently sold on a high-visibility auction at about half the current asking price (especially if high-end prices are involved). 893naughty-thumb.gif

I recognise that dealers exist to make a profit, but excessive greed can be a big turn-off for some of us . . .

Overpaying...what's that? I can't afford to overpay lol. Overpaying is kind of a myth in OA isn't it? I mean, since there's no set value for these one of a kind pieces, they're basically worth whatever someone's willing to pay for them.

I do regret the only trade I ever did. I traded a really cool TTA page and a nice Sal Buscema Hulk splash one time and I hate myself for it. Sorry, no scans at the moment.

Overpaying...what's that? I can't afford to overpay lol. Overpaying is kind of a myth in OA isn't it? I mean, since there's no set value for these one of a kind pieces, they're basically worth whatever someone's willing to pay for them.

I do regret the only trade I ever did. I traded a really cool TTA page and a nice Sal Buscema Hulk splash one time and I hate myself for it. Sorry, no scans at the moment.

No values set in stone . . . but if it's your area/s of speciality, you ought to be able to get a 'feel' for FMV (bringing into consideration known recent sales, if comparable examples are regularly surfacing).

Sure, each piece is unique, but each piece has its own strengths or weaknesses.

Overpaying is something I think everyone has done at some point in the game. Don't forget, if you win something on ebay, you have effectively overpaid by outbidding everyone else. I have overpaid for several pieces in my collection.

If this is overpaying, then I've overpaid for most of my collection foreheadslap.gif But I don't know if that's necessarily the case. I think even by outbidding others, you don't always overpay, because in some instances eBay is less than what the piece (or a comparable piece by the same artists team) would cost from a dealer or other sources.

Someone bought a Byrne/Austin X-men page from issue 137 2 yrs ago (wasn't me - dammit) for $1776 (no joke). Did they overpay? Not by today's valuations. And not even for then. More recently Scott Williams sold a Jim Lee FF page (again not to me) on eBay with a stunning 1/2 page Submariner close up splash, it went for under $500. Try finding something like that on Albert Moy's site with a recognizable character.

Also, as far as eBay is concerned, if there are a good number of bids at or close to the amount of the winning bid, then I don't think that's overpaying. I think that's market value. If you have two people who bid stupid money on eBay to get something (that recent Perez Avengers non-action panel page that went for $5K), well, then that's overpaying.

I would rather overpay privately than get into a bidding war with some of the BSD out in the collecting field.

This is true, and sometimes the only way you can get a page. However, for someone who perceives themselves to be a bargain hunter (like I sometimes perceive myself to be) it is tough reconciling the two motivations.

Also true, but unless I win the lottery, I will not be getting first crack through this method.

Does anyone get upset if they feel they overpaid for a piece? I know KK (and his other incarnations) predicts that the OA market will soar to the moon, but assume it doesn't. Is overpaying just a price (no pun intended) of collecting the pieces you want?

And, no disrespect to the dealers, but 100% profit in a couple of days is a little much to ask --- even of obsessed collectors :-)