• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: DID ANYONE NOTICE PAYPAL's BEEN DOWN

32 posts in this topic

This is so wierd... I can't ping the site!!

Its been like this since late morning (at around 11:00am EST). Is it possible that the site redirects visitors to a country gateway? And that the Canadian site is down?

Just tested and all is well! You trying https://www.paypal.com ? (Note the "s"). Although it should automatically redirect you to https, I've seen wackier things.

That shouldn't normall make a difference, but even with the "s", I still can't ping the site. I'm starting to think they've blocked my IP.

Any canucks try to hit the site?

This is so wierd... I can't ping the site!!

Its been like this since late morning (at around 11:00am EST). Is it possible that the site redirects visitors to a country gateway? And that the Canadian site is down?

I just tried it and got in. Are you at work right now? Maybe they put up a firewall. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just tested and all is well! You trying https://www.paypal.com ? (Note the "s"). Although it should automatically redirect you to https, I've seen wackier things.

That shouldn't normall make a difference, but even with the "s", I still can't ping the site. I'm starting to think they've blocked my IP.

Any canucks try to hit the site?

Have you initiated a chargeback without using their resolution service first?

Firewalls never been an issue. I've got redundancy that would normally cause problems with visiting certain sites, but that wouldn't be the reason in this case.

This is disconcerting. I'm finishing a site that requires online payment using PayPal, and I can't seem to get the testing completed.

To prove I'm not making this up:

paypal.jpg

If you notice, I'm hitting every site ok, and I can do an nslookup on the paypal domain, but that time out means they are either having some propogation issues with their DNS (and I happen to fall into that cluster), or there is something wackier at play.

I begrudgingly gave into their resoluton service for an issue a few weeks back. I don't suspect that is the issue at play, unless of course they can read my mind everytime I login and curse the chargeback they screwed me over for. 893whatthe.gif

I begrudgingly gave into their resoluton service for an issue a few weeks back. I don't suspect that is the issue at play, unless of course they can read my mind everytime I login and curse the chargeback they screwed me over for. 893whatthe.gif

You may be the victim of an account freeze for various reasons unrelated to your specific actions...it happens. I would expect you could still reach the site though

try

1888-221-1161

or

1-800-836-1859

You may be the victim of an account freeze for various reasons unrelated to your specific actions...it happens. I would expect you could still reach the site though

try

1888-221-1161

or

1-800-836-1859

Thanks Bruce. I know that I'm not a victim of an account freeze because I've just asked my wife to login to my account and everything is ok... o... k........ uhhhh......o..O...OO.... OMG... WHAT THE HELL DID I DO!!! 893frustrated.gif

laugh.gif

No, but seriously, I called at least three people I know that are on the bellnexia switch, and none of them are able to ping the PayPal site.

If there is anyone reading this who uses Sympatico high-speed, then you can confirm this as well.

Exactly. "Non-authorative" generally means there has been some sort of a DNS update.

DO THIS:

If 2000/XP:

create a file WITH NO EXTENSION entitled "hosts"

Open it in notepad.

Add the following:

65.206.229.32 www.paypal.com

Note, there is a tab between the 2

Save this in your %systemroot%\drivers etc folder, or c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc (XP)

or

c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc (Windows 2000)

MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE FILE AS "hosts" with no extension.

The name resolution will always look for local hosts file(s) first, then DNS/Wins.

PM me if you have any trouble.

P.S. I am a Windows 2000 MCSE, Winnt 4.0 MCSE, Cisco Unified Systems Engineer, Certified Novell Administrator, A+, etc. so I'm not feeding you a line.

Best of luck.

LM Host file could fix it. I'll be interested to see.

Actually, LMHOSTS are suppliments to WINS and resolve NETBIOS names to IP addresses. Since paypal would never have any netbios ports open due to the upteen million security vulnerabilities, a hosts file is required. HOSTS are for remote subnets and map Internet/Intranet names to IP addresses, regardless of what the NETBIOS (Computer name) is.

LMHOSTS are good for remotely installing Domain Controllers. Ex of LMHOSTS context:

# 102.54.94.97 rhino #PRE #DOM:networking

# 102.54.94.102 "appname \0x14" #special app server

# 102.54.94.123 popular #PRE #source server

# 102.54.94.117 localsrv #PRE #needed for the include

Sorry to be so verbose; it's one of my computer pet-peeves when people use hosts and lmhosts synonymously.