• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: DID ANYONE NOTICE PAYPAL's BEEN DOWN

32 posts in this topic

Shield

I actually attempted to update my host file after my third post (I've had to resort doing this on a few occasions with my web dev projects); the problem seems to be related to an unresolved DNS. It is definitely related to my ISP. But I appreciate the information.

I've actually confirmed this as I dialed-up to a seperate provider, and I can bring-up my PayPal account no problem. The only hassle is that I'm on a wireless network, and the idea of plugging into my phone line is a scary thought. insane.gif

Shield

I actually attempted to update my host file after my third post (I've had to resort doing this on a few occasions with my web dev projects); the problem seems to be related to an unresolved DNS. It is definitely related to my ISP. But I appreciate the information.

I've actually confirmed this as I dialed-up to a seperate provider, and I can bring-up my PayPal account no problem. The only hassle is that I'm on a wireless network, and the idea of plugging into my phone line is a scary thought. insane.gif

That's not correct, I'm afraid. When you insert "www.paypal.com" into a web browser, your machine first looks to your local cache for name resolution (hosts). Then, it will query whatever you have listed as a primary DNS, even if this is automatically assigned from DHCP.

Sounds like a routing problem and not a DNS problem if you've in fact properly added the hosts file.

Do a tracert

Depending on whether or not your behind a firewall and can see ICMP echo packet replys, you should still get a full route traced to the destination.

Open a command prompt

type tracert www.paypal.com

Post the results here

Shield

The only hassle is that I'm on a wireless network, and the idea of plugging into my phone line is a scary thought. insane.gif

Dialup is generally WAY more secure than wireless, unless you're using Radius/128-156 bit WEP keys. Wireless is a breeze to hack into unless you've added security!

Wireless is a breeze to hack into unless you've added security!

Disabled the ESSID broadcast, with its own unique ESSID, WEP 128 Bit encryption, as well as a firewall that you need to bypass before providing credentials to actually attempt to hack. Although I'm not saying its impossible, the possibilities of hacking my wireless network will require anyone capable to hacking into the same encryption used on most online banking systems, and I would have to believe that the qualifying pool of canidates would rather expend that effort on something more monetarily rewarding than hacking into my broadband.

BTW: My PayPal is still down confused.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this was a routing problem on my end (I've got two routers hooked-up to an alcatel high-speed modem), I wouldn't have been able to trace past the first line:

paypal2.jpg

Not on your end, but your ISP's end...

The problem is that it's not getting past XO...they must have a router down or something. Agree?

Absolutely. Although the thought that I was the victim of a nation-wide conspiracy to offload all PayPal funds to an offshore account had crossed my mind frown.gif

....... and would certainly sound far more sensational! smirk.gif

No but seriously, thanks for your help Shield. I feel a little better now, knowing that my account isn't frozen (thanks for the bid with paranoia Bruce) and that its not a problem specific to my network.

...no problem cool.gif

actually there is at least 2, and I think as many a 3 forumites who HAVE had their accounts frozen along with funds. One is part of a class action lawsuit and has not received his money back for over a year now. They established early-on that his account was frozen because someone with the same last name was involved in fraudulent activity. They knew it was not him and still held/kept his cash???

It's not that uncommon.. keep your cash out and transferred to a non-connected account to be safe.