• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Transaction Gone Awry - opinions please

29 posts in this topic

This is exactly what I would do under these conditions. Actually, this is what I have done. Even if you get something that you purchased and it was not as stated, if the guy gives me my money back, I have no problem with him and certainly am not going to leave negative or neutral feedback.

Hold off for a bit.....and see if the same books get listed again individually

I like this. Even if you don't see the books listed again, I would (and have)

not given any feedback. Consider it a wash.

Agreed. Just don't give any feedback at all.

I agree too.

Ditto. thumbsup2.gif

I don't go through life assuming my fellow man is inherently bad. You should try it. It makes life so much better!

Whether it was legitimately lost or he had seller remorse, you'll never know. As long as you got your money back, be happy and move on. If he kept your money, I would throw the book at him. My advice is, give the benefit of the doubt whenever you can. You may not get to capitalize on every opportunity for revenge, but your life is much less stressful. You may be letting a guilty person off easy, but you have the peace of mind knowing you'll never falsely accuse an innocent person. For me, that's more important.

Man, why are people so negative?

I'm not sure what's so negative about asking for the required proof the item was shipped. Even better, the seller would find he falls under the paypal seller protection policy, and paypal would give him some restitution for the loss. Shouldn't be an issue, should it?

The reason it's an issue is that the item was never shipped. You can be absolutely certain. Now I'm being negative, because it's clear this seller is non-performing until proven otherwise. No need to get mad, no need to suffer over it, no need to dwell and gnash teeth. File the paypal forms, hold him to the rules, and withhold any feedback.

Sorry, I never should have characterized your post as ridiculous, even if that is what I felt.

BTW, I never said the 100 packages were shipped domestically. I would guess a good solid 20% of those packages is sent over seas. Domestically, I offer Media mail, first class and Priority. I ship only airmail (now priority) for international.

Great for you, if you want to pay for services that the buyer did not pay for. That is fine with me. I don't do it. I offer insurance on every package. If they choose not to purchase it, that is up to them. Let me ask you a question though. Why only half? Do you not care about half of your customers?

At least I am consistent. I give everyone a chance to purchase it. I don't charge extra, I just charge what the post office charges me.

I should have explained more - I buy the insurance myself to protect myself from the unscrupulous. Those of you saying that you should not think everyone is inherently bad have not been ripped off many times and attempted to be ripped off countless more.

Jaded is the word, and everyone is a scammer (buyer and seller) until they prove otherwise. You should try it, life is so much better! grin.gif You are so happy when you find out how many good traders there are out there! When you find a con man, it's just what you expected.

You are required by Paypal to send your packages with delivery confirmation. Why not hold the seller to that?

---------------------------------------------

Delivery confirmation may only tell you that the item was delivered. If I drop my package off in the mailbox, which is what I generally do, sometimes at the post office, it often doesn't register as having been mailed until it gets delivered. It doesn't say I mailed it and the local P.O. received it. This happens ALL THE TIME. And, particularly since I moved to Brooklyn, I can tack on an extra 7-10 days to my shipping because I'm almost certain the packages sit at my local P.O. gathering dust, so I have been getting a lot of "where's my package" e-mails, I say "it's on its way", I send them the tracking # and, after a week it still says "usps has been informed that the lable has been printed" or whatever language they use. They says "usps says it hasn't even been shipped yet!" I say, D.C. gets registered at delivery. 2 days later they say "I got the package, thanks". And we're not even talking media mail. SOMETIMES the tracking info indicates the package is being processed somewhere (mine seem to hang out in Jersey City for a while after resting in Brooklyn), but USUALLY not.

So, a tracking # on a paypal lable or usps.com or whatever lable shows that at the very least your seller bothered to buy postage for the item. If you paid by paypal, I dunno what justification there is for shipping the package not through paypal lables (except they don't have bound printed matter), which should generate an automatic tracking #. It's not proof of mailing, but it is proof money was spent on postage.

I'd probably leave it alone until he starts re-selling the books. He did refund. Maybe he's old school and takes everything to the P.O. and buys postage there. I don't know why people do this, particularly if they don't buy D.C. Admittedly, I used to do this because I didn't trust paypal labels (and paypal was charging for them too!), but once paypal stopped charging, I did all my shipping that way. I am SO HAPPY I don't have to drag my cart of packages to the post office anymore! It was terrible during the winter.

I'd add that a couple of times as I was about to ship an item I noticed a substantial, previously missed, defect and refunded right away, apologized, etc. I suppose I would be getting negged, eh?

I'm aware of no fewer than two multiply NARUed sellers currently back on eBay who routinely held items they felt didn't sell for top dollar.

In the case of a 4-time suspended seller, he would hold the card or comic, claim it had been damaged in the mail, then re-list and hope for another fish who'd bid more. (He was also very fond of bid shielding and sending veiled threats via e-mail to those bidding aginst him to discourage their participation in auctions for items he was trying to buy raw & then slab for resale. He cheated one seller out of over $1,000.00 on just ONE comic!) According to his feedback, he never refunded any money.

In the case of the other (3-time suspended) seller, he would do the same thing, but always (eventually) refunded the money.

I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but one of the values of threads like this is to give people warnings about the fraud artists/criminals.

And I know whereof I speak, as BOTH sellers noted above have been discussed extensively on this forum, and that's how I confirmed that the 3-time NARUed seller had cheated me & been suspended by eBay previously for exactly what he'd done in my situation.