• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help needed with possible trimmed book!

32 posts in this topic

Appreciate any and all comments on this ebay purchase I just recieved.

I'm no expert but the bottom front & back cover to this book looks trimmed. frown.gif

The seller is a power seller with 100% feedback. Thanks all.

1864840-HauntOfFear%238.jpg

1864840-HauntOfFear%238Back.jpg

1864840-HauntOfFear%238Cut.jpg

589a92d86cd4d_1864840-HauntOfFear8Cut.jpg.f3e71d72c7f1b7fd490a24396227ff08.jpg

Jay, I don't feel good about this book. I agree with the thought that the right side might not be trimmed, but the bottom is terrible. If you think the bottom is, then the right side probably is too....why stop with just trimming the top and bottom? Does the seller have a decent return policy? If he does, ship it back. That book is damaged goods in my opinion. What a shame too.

Scott

ps....if i recall correctly...if you are looking at the right side....the edge should have a "v" like shape to it....kind of like the roof of a house. If the edge is completely smooth and all of the paper is the exact same length...then it is a trim job. Compare it to some other books you have from that era and you will see how the profile of the paper edge is different.

S

Ouch. frown.gif Well, hopefully the 100% pos feedback means something... Good luck with the return.

And just to clarify, the "waviness" on the bottom edge back cover is what clinches it for me. Definitely hand cut, not machine cut.

I think people usually over-react and call books trimmed when they are generally just have production defects, but even I think there is a problem with this one...especially if the staples are tight like you said. crazy.gif

ps....if i recall correctly...if you are looking at the right side....the edge should have a "v" like shape to it....kind of like the roof of a house. If the edge is completely smooth and all of the paper is the exact same length...then it is a trim job. Compare it to some other books you have from that era and you will see how the profile of the paper edge is different.

S

This is true, but only applies if the entire book (cover + insides) was chopped.

If JUST the cover was trimmed, the inside pages would still have the correct ">" shape.

I think people usually over-react and call books trimmed when they are generally just have production defects, but even I think there is a problem with this one...especially if the staples are tight like you said. crazy.gif

Thanks Andy,

That's exactly why I'm garnering opinions before I acted.

I think people usually over-react and call books trimmed when they are generally just have production defects...

Hey Andy, that reminds me...I know what you're going to say, but I think I may need to ask you for a refund on this 9.2 Batman #232 you sold me...

1864962-b232.jpg

1864962-b232.jpg.1aa36aa7b9a7423b08fef4337cc53378.jpg

S

This is true, but only applies if the entire book (cover + insides) was chopped.

If JUST the cover was trimmed, the inside pages would still have the correct ">" shape.

Another thing to keep in mind when talking about the "V" effect is that when the books were cut at the factory, there was no V effect. At least not how we all see it today.

They were chopped with a nice flat edge.

While only a theory, it makes sense to think that over time since the interior wraps were made from newsprint and the cover was printed on heavier stock,

and also covered totally in ink that the interior wraps would dry out more over time and shrink as a result of this.

And the outer wraps would dry/shrink more then the center wraps since they would be closer to outside elements. Creating the V effect we see today. Not to mention overhang.

There are plenty of older HG books that do not display this V effect. But that does not mean they were trimmed. Just stored properly and perhaps not exposed to the elements as much. Or for that matter BA books that show NO sign of this V effect.

Also it should be noted that the center wrap is a crisp fold, and every subsequent page was wrapped around it and depending on how many pages the book is the outerwrap can almost be rounded and not a folded at all..

While minor..this all lends itself to the paper pulling/shrinking more where the paper was rounded instead of folded.

The V effect is a good tool to use to try and determine if a book looks "too" perfect on the outside edge. But should not be the end all reason why it is or isn't.

And while Andy and I may disagree about certain books that may or may not have been trimmed.

For the most part it is all moot since we are just looking at a scan. I tend to see flaws based on personal experience, and Andy can just as easily point out similar era books with similar flaws.

But in this case I think majority has determined there was some funny business going on. Wether by a previous owner(which I imagine is the case) or "gulp" by the current seller.

Ze-

This looks to me like an original production off trim scenario - the bottom is to straight, which indicates it was done by machine - something about the way the top staple sticks out a bit on teh back and the bottom staple is more even along the spine sez a slight spine roll which produces the pull up from the bottom?

Bob,

I understand what you are saying but couldn't a straight line be cut with any straight edge ruler or similar device and an exacto knife?

There is 1/16 difference starting at the spine that gets slightly wider towards the open end especially on the back.

Could you explain the "production off trim" a bit more. Aren't the cover and pages cut at the same time?

Again, the bottom doesn't quite look "straight" to me (replying to Bob's comment), so I'm having trouble buying this as a machine cut. The whole thing is suspect to begin with, but this part in particular:

1865112-hofcrop.jpg

1865112-hofcrop.jpg.8c0c64ef9ddb047f12750522851f0471.jpg

Yeah, and the staples are nice and tight so it doesn't really appear that the cover could have slipped up as there is no top overhang either.

If there isn't overhang at the top then it would seem that trimming is the answer.

sorry.gif

Agreed. Was just wanting to hear more on Bob's viewpoint.

Thinking on this I believe I will "sit" on this till tomorrow, inspect the book again when I get home at my leasure and see if any other opinions pop up here.

Thanks everyone so far!