• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help needed with possible trimmed book!

32 posts in this topic

Two more pic for those who care.

Inside cover top and bottom comparisons...top edge shows slight browning and wear while bottom edge looks clean and sharp. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1865274-HauntOfFear%238CutFront.jpg

Same on back inside cover. Sorry for the large scans.

1865274-HauntOfFear%238CutBack.jpg

589a92d87dd96_1865274-HauntOfFear8CutBack.jpg.b8c113010d6dca70e8ba4503e3accaf0.jpg

Yeah, and the staples are nice and tight so it doesn't really appear that the cover could have slipped up as there is no top overhang either.

Above is my reply to an earlier post.

What are your reasons to think it hasn't been trimmed?

Just asking because tomorrow I will make up my mind to contact the seller or not.

Jay

jayman...

Look at it this way... even on the very slim chance that it is NOT trimmed, would you want it in your collection anyway? Why have a book that -- even on the slim chance it's untouched -- will still carry the "look" of a trimmed book and people will question it?

In the long term, unless it was slabbed blue, you will have trouble selling it because the same questions will arise.

Go for the refund and resume the search for a copy you are 100% comfortable with.

Well said Steve...I was thinking the same thing. Even if this were a printing cut problem (which I doubt it is), it's clearly not a book

one should be paying the full VF- price for. Is it safe to assume the scans in the original auction were too small to really see the defects?

jayman...

Look at it this way... even on the very slim chance that it is NOT trimmed, would you want it in your collection anyway? Why have a book that -- even on the slim chance it's untouched -- will still carry the "look" of a trimmed book and people will question it?

In the long term, unless it was slabbed blue, you will have trouble selling it because the same questions will arise.

Go for the refund and resume the search for a copy you are 100% comfortable with.

Decision made.

I contacted the seller today asking for a refund.

Will update as I hear.

Jay

I think people usually over-react and call books trimmed when they are generally just have production defects, but even I think there is a problem with this one...especially if the staples are tight like you said. crazy.gif

Agreed, done it myself the first time i had a suspect book, overreacted to what most likley was a prod. defect on the right side of the front cover. Since then ive been more carefull and learned more about production defects/ trimjobs, and the bottom of that book would make me nervous too. Hope all works out 4 ya... sorry.gif --Joe

Thanks Joe,

UPDATE: Seller responded graciously and accepted the book back for a full refund. yay.gif

I just dropped it off in the mail with insurance and delivery conf.

well, in the name of closing the barn door after the horse is out, i couldn't say with 100% certainty that the book was trimmed.

the top edge oxidation pattern could simply be the result of the book being in an open-top mylar for an extended period of time.

the thing that makes me hesitate is the wear pattern on the cover and the inside pages seem pretty consistent to me. which would be appropriate for a book whose cover has shrunk more than the inside...

but as i said, not much point in worrying about it now