• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please guess the grade of my first golden age comic !

27 posts in this topic

I met a french collector yesterday that i didn't know before.

He was selling some of his books so i purchased the one below.

Thanks to him, i was able to take an Action comics #4 in my hands (you can trust me, that's something really impressive for me who generally only collect silver age & up comics...)

Well, it's up to you now:

action91.jpg

action91b.jpg

Thanks !

Wow, congrats...that's a beautiful book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Tough one to grade...front looks nearly perfect, but back has a couple of NCB creases. I'll guess a picky 6.5. Obviously looks better...very nice!

I think that back cover crease looks worse than it is. I mean this is otherwise a 9.2/9.4 book. Beautiful and it would be tough to sell without a premium at anything less than 8.0.

Ed

You may well be right...but there are two creases at the top back cover, plus a scratch towards the bottom (tho not entirely sure if it's on the book

or just on the case). With just the one corner crease I would have said 7.5 as well. And much agreed on the premium, regardless of the technical grade.

I'm going to go a little higher. The creases definitely hurt - as does the staple pull. But man, that books looks fantastic. Sharp corners, no edge problems. I'm going to go 8.0 and would not be surprised to see it grade even higher.

Well, I just looked at a Flash #97 of mine that came back a 6.5. It has major creasing problems on the back (way worse than this Action) and the front doesn't present as well either. I'm thinking higher than 8.0 now. Say 8.5.

I think that back cover crease looks worse than it is. I mean this is otherwise a 9.2/9.4 book. Beautiful and it would be tough to sell without a premium at anything less than 8.0.

Ed

What crease? confused.gif

I'm thinking 9.0 but I don't see any crease.

The back scan looks very blurry on my screen.

frown.gif

Even with the light crease I'll guess 7.5. Nice book!

Do you think this cover was re-done once the war was over? It just seems odd that some random thugs had a military weapon. I wonder if the thugs were added to cover over German or Japanese soldiers.

Two creases on ULC.

Grade will be posted in 1 hour yay.gif

I still can't see them but I'll take your word and lower my guess a little.

Do you think this cover was re-done once the war was over? It just seems odd that some random thugs had a military weapon. I wonder if the thugs were added to cover over German or Japanese soldiers.

That has been my theory. Both 90 and 91 have covers that feature generic bad guys operating war machinery. I think they were probably originally intended to be war covers and that is why they are on my war cover want list. grin.gif

And the winner is.....

Nobody.

action91cgc.jpg

I'll take 6.0 like this everydays 893applaud-thumb.gif

Nik and Point Five were not so far than that, so congrats to both of them !

My next purchase with this guy will be his copy of action comics #94, a strong 7.0 in my opinion.

Ok, so I was a bit high....(figuratively and literally apparently)...but in my defense...

I'm obviously new to the hobby, but here are 3 pics of the back cover of the Flash 97 I mentioned. My scanner won't accomodate slabs. The FC presents worse than this Action and the page quality of the flash is OW, so a bit worse as well. Based my grade on the Action with this book in mind. Any comments?

And yes, that's a 3/8" tear on the top.

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

boy, i'm sitting here thinking to myself "fine minus," until i read what everyone else is posting. confused-smiley-013.gif

i will take fines like that one all day long and twice on the Sabbath. nice pickup c'est tres bon