• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Frazetta OT question

27 posts in this topic

This is not a question about comic art but more about his art prints from his art gallery website I would like to purchase atleast one limited print from his Masters Collection Deluxe. Before I do could you guys tell me if this is the best place to get his paintings. Any Advice would be great thanks, also I am new to art but I realize prints aren't worth much but would I be overpaying? it cost $1,000.

I would post the website but I am not too familiar with the forum rules and don't want to spam thanks.

I would only pay $1k if there was a remarqued Frazetta illo in the corner of the print. U would be much better off buying the Golden Girl ltd edition print originally released by Russ Cochran in late 70s that was signed and numbered and eBays for around $175-$250. hi.gif

This is not a question about comic art but more about his art prints from his art gallery website I would like to purchase atleast one limited print from his Masters Collection Deluxe. Before I do could you guys tell me if this is the best place to get his paintings. Any Advice would be great thanks, also I am new to art but I realize prints aren't worth much but would I be overpaying? it cost $1,000.

I would post the website but I am not too familiar with the forum rules and don't want to spam thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't want to pay $1,000 for a print. Although the major paintings are way out of league for many of us, it is possible to buy (affordable) Frazetta originals.

For example, I bought the following last year for an approximate price of $1,350:

61tb2a8.jpg

This amusing illustration was created for the pressbook used to promote the film THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S (United Artists, 1968), directed by William Friedkin. The image depicts Bert Lahr (best known as the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz) as Professor Spats. Signed with a trademark "F" in the upper right corner (as well as a full signature on the reverse), this piece measures 10" x 13.5" overall, on heavy illustration board, with a general image area of 7" x 11.25".

The artwork had originated from Doc Dave W's collection. He told me that he had traded it to Jim Halperin (Heritage Galleries) at a value of about $2,500. The artwork subsequently failed to sell through auction and later was offered for direct sale by Lewis Wayne Galleries (an offshoot of Heritage). I saw it appear on eBay several times, but it wasn't attracting any buyers (and at the time I was putting together a major deal for a Wally Wood WEIRD SCIENCE cover). Once the Wally Wood deal was secured, I e-mailed Lewis Wayne Galleries asking for the 'Best Price' they could do the Frazetta at. At $1,350 asking price, I considered it a steal - and sent my Money Order off.

Most people would opt for Frazetta's Fantasy art (which is perhaps why the MINSKY'S original was overlooked). But, to me, a highly-finished (but affordable) humor work (representing Frazetta's Movie art) is well worth having.

Similarly, the JOHNNY COMET dailies (which are slightly more expensive) are also worth considering - as are many of the ink sketches.

So, if you can extend your budget, try opting for an original over an expensive print. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Lil' Abner dailies are also affordable. Here's one selling for $500:

http://www.art4comics.com/ab1958.jpg

His White Indian pages appear to sell for under $2000, also.

The link doesn't work. The LI'L ABNER stuff is fine, but I seem to remember there being some disagreement between Capp and Frazetta over the time period Frank actually spent ghosting the strip. As such, I'd be a bit wary about buying an original unless I knew for sure Frazetta's hand is prevalent. Also, the absence of a 'Frazetta' signature hurts the appeal (IMHO). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Better Frazetta being himself, than emulating another artist . . .

I think the site doesn't allow direct links to images. I agree about an item like this being less desirable because of the lack of his signature.

I may have underestimated the White Indian page values... I see Burkey has two for $3500 each right now.

I think the site doesn't allow direct links to images. I agree about an item like this being less desirable because of the lack of his signature.

I may have underestimated the White Indian page values... I see Burkey has two for $3500 each right now.

Mike Burkey's a nice guy, and I've done some good deals with him, but I have noticed his asking prices are increasing dramatically.

He buys art directly from Heritage, etc, so it might prove an interesting exercise to compare his asking prices against the prices he paid in various auctions.

For example, I was recently runner-up on the Heritage offering of the Johnny Craig CRIME PATROL # 13 cover. I submitted my best bid, which (off the top-of-my-head) was around $4,500 (about the going rate for those covers). The winning bid was around the $5,000 mark. Now, a short while later, Mike has the cover on sale at $8,000. What's that - a 60% mark-up in price?

Yes, I know most types of art increase in value (usually judged over year-by-year periods, yes?). But if a high-profile auction house like Heritage can only get around $5,000 tops for these types of covers, is a 60% mark-up in price (within the space of a few weeks) reasonable, justified or fair?

No sour grapes on my behalf, I assure you. In an auction situation, I give it my best shot. So, if I the CRIME PATROL # 13 cover wasn't worth more than $4,500 to me when Heritage Galleries were offering it, it sure isn't worth $8,000 to me now.

Like I said in a different thread, I recognize and appreciate that dealers are businessmen and need to make a profit. But huge mark-ups in asking prices strikes me as being unreasonable (dare I say, excessively greedy?). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi Terry; It does seem a little ridiculous when dealers are buying from Heritage and re-selling for instant profit. Heritage posts pretty high numbers as a rule. But, I think especially with Burkey, most of his high askings reflect that he is willing to take all or mostly trade on his pieces. It's much easier to find a basketful of trade items to give to Mike rather than even shelling out $4500 for most collectors. Yes, it inflates values then rather quickly as Mike's item shows up as sold... at the high number, but that is just part of the deal I guess.

The thing is, Burkey is selling this stuff. He had about 8 White Indian pages and sold all but two at those prices. I tend to think that he's going to get diminishing returns over time, but for now he seems to be making a bundle.

Hi Terry; It does seem a little ridiculous when dealers are buying from Heritage and re-selling for instant profit. Heritage posts pretty high numbers as a rule. But, I think especially with Burkey, most of his high askings reflect that he is willing to take all or mostly trade on his pieces. It's much easier to find a basketful of trade items to give to Mike rather than even shelling out $4500 for most collectors. Yes, it inflates values then rather quickly as Mike's item shows up as sold... at the high number, but that is just part of the deal I guess.

But without knowing the background history behind each and every high-end item listed as being 'SOLD', we can only speculate as to how the deals were processed. If high asking prices appear to be realised, it perhaps sets a new benchmark for subsequent (similar) items surfacing. Not just for Burkey's offerings, but other dealers monitoring sales trends.

End result: skyrocketing prices!

Right. It's very possible that even if they were cash sales, the asking prices weren't realized. But let's face it, Burkey isn't buying these pieces off of eBay, Heritage, etc. only to turn them around a couple months later to break even.

Right. It's very possible that even if they were cash sales, the asking prices weren't realized. But let's face it, Burkey isn't buying these pieces off of eBay, Heritage, etc. only to turn them around a couple months later to break even.

Obviously, he needs to make a profit. Reasonable profit is one thing, but looking to make an absolute killing (too soon after being the high bidder in high-profile auctions) is another . . .

The morale of the story is that if something you want appears in auction, best to make an all-out effort to be the winning bidder. 'Cause if you don't, and someone like Burkey buys it up, you're going to see a massive hike in subsequent asking price.

Honestly, it depends on the image. $1,000 is steep for most people, but if you want a Frazetta image that's fairly rare and/or just want it to add wall appeal (and care less about future resale or trade value- the other posters are right to warn you about that), I'd recommend it- and, from what I hear, the quality of the Frazetta prints are great.

Then again, I'm less opposed to prints than most people you'll find on this board...but you've got to think, you're asking the opinion of people who collect original art as much for the rarity and the uniqueness aspect as much as for the quality of the art. There's nothing wrong with that, it just means you won't find many people advocating prints or giclees. Personally, most Frazetta sketches I've seen in the price range he charges for those prints aren't that great and I'd rather take the print simply for the enjoyment factor.

Frankly, I wish it was as easy to get Yoaka Amano prints as it was to get Frazetta ones. thumbsup2.gif

It seems to me with Frazetta that it takes about $2000 - $2500 (usually, unless you luck out like our friend above) to get in the game for a decent pencilled sketch or comic art. If you offered me a print for $1000 or a 50's comic page by Frazetta for $2000, I'd take the latter even if it meant saving up the money or buying on payments. To me, buying a print at $1000 means that it's going to be a long time before that piece gains value.

I wanted to purchase the Frazetta Art print because I wanted to have it for wall art. But most of his art or atleast on the website is mostly for adults and someday in the future I feel it might scare children or my gf would end up making me get rid of it because the one I want shows alot of the female body. So I have to think about resale value. I wanted to get his art "Escape from Venus" I think it's beautiful and would make a great conversation piece.