• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meet the most expensive current age book?!

21 posts in this topic

Yes there is an Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck, and WDC&S from that same month that are super rare too. I think they are from the late 70s or the 80s though. I think the Uncle Scrooge is the most valuable of the lot in NM. There may be a Chip and Dale from that month too.

Donald 222, Mickey 208, WDCS 480. There are actually similar 3pack-only issues for every title by Whitman at that time. I.e. there would also be a Daisy and Donald, a Winnie the Pooh, etc etc

They are all the 8/12 1980 issues as I recall.

Doug Sulipa sold another one of these last year for $710 in VG. From his Overstreet Market Report:

"The scarce Whitman pre-pack issues are in high demand on all titles, with almost no supply. All Whitmans from 8-12/1980 are confirmed with poor distribution, and are scarce to rare. 8-12/1980 issues in VG copies bring $10 minimum with almost no resistance, and there is more demand than supply. The next toughest, at about 1/2 the scarcity, are the no-date, no date-copde issues from 1983-84, with VF copies bringing $15 minimum. The "Big 3" are now the "Big 4," as we add Little Lulu #260 to the list. I've seen only two copies on eBay in the past 12 months (G-$598.88 and VG=$710). Uncle Scrooge 179, Donald Duck #222 and WDC&S #480 all remain very scarce, but high prices of around double Guide have made copies surface. Several sealed 3-packs surfaced on eBay, two with Scrooge #179 ($1,000 and $1,500 ranges) and a Donald Duck #222 ($600). A VG Donald sold for $330.51 on EBay."

That is crazy money even for most modern Super-Hero comics let alone a torn-up Little Lu Lu. 893whatthe.gif I can't believe people actually bid on it.

That's the Holy Grail for Lulu collectors. NOBODY has one. The owner of the 930 Club in DC is a big Lulu guy - he'll pay silly money for a nice one.

That is crazy money even for most modern Super-Hero comics let alone a torn-up Little Lu Lu. 893whatthe.gif I can't believe people actually bid on it.

Contrary to popular opinion, there are people who rabidly collect comics other than those that feature Men in Tights. Work a table at a decent sized show or behind the counter at a shop that sells back issues for a while and this will be illustrated perfectly. I did it for years and people still surprised me with what they were looking for.

These are always fun to hunt for at garage/tag sales and such, because virtually no one outside of the hobby has any idea as to value, after all these are from 1980, usually lost in a stack of worthless beat up moderns. I found a Little Lulu 259 at a sale earlier this summer, checked every other issue there looking for the 260, but no luck. Who needs a sharp VG/F condition Lulu 259?

Contrary to popular opinion, there are people who rabidly collect comics other than those that feature Men in Tights.

Well, I think Pink Panther was the first series that I ever read with any frequency (having four brothers and a family history of bad teeth gets you to a dentist well-stocked in comics with alarming regularity... I think I also read some Metamorpho and Adam Strange there as well).

Which brings up the tangent of: Where are all of the Saturday morning cartoons?

I was intro'd to Pink Panther and SuperFriends there and both translated into an interest in reading the comics. I think the same was true for H R Puffnstuff and others.

While it is fine and good to tie movies to comics, I think the industry could do worse than tie themselves to more cartoons.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

That's the Holy Grail for Lulu collectors. NOBODY has one. The owner of the 930 Club in DC is a big Lulu guy - he'll pay silly money for a nice one.

I guess you never know who will collect what. I hear N. Korean dictator Kim Jung Il is a huge Daffy Duck fan and has all the comics and video cartoons. 27_laughing.gif

Contrary to popular opinion, there are people who rabidly collect comics other than those that feature Men in Tights. Work a table at a decent sized show or behind the counter at a shop that sells back issues for a while and this will be illustrated perfectly. I did it for years and people still surprised me with what they were looking for.

To each their own. I just hope I can stumble on a few copies of this comic at a flea market or garage sell.

Probably not going to happen unless you live in Canada. Apparently most of these 8/12 issues have been turning up here; speculation is that they were only distributed here. (see Sulipa's market report for more info)

If you live in the states, you probably have a better chance of finding a hulk 181 at a garage sale frown.gif

Probably not going to happen unless you live in Canada. Apparently most of these 8/12 issues have been turning up here; speculation is that they were only distributed here. (see Sulipa's market report for more info)

If you live in the states, you probably have a better chance of finding a hulk 181 at a garage sale frown.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Isn't Southern Ontario the main locale for those?

The most interesting part is this:

Quote from article, Don Rosa wrote:

Last time I was in Finland , I was visiting a friend and telling about the U$

179 and how American collectors are so anxious to find copies. And this

friend said there were some old Whitmans stuck in a closet from childhood

and went to get them out. When I eyed the small stack, the U$ 179 wasn't

simply in the stack, it happened to be on the very top! (Sortuva well-read,

well-loved copy.) The issue was bought off the normal magazine racks in the

early 80's (when they apparently sold some English-language Disney comics in

Europe in those days). So, this demonstrated that these rare-in-America

issues are not rare outside of our borders. I won't say there are LOTS of

them in Europe, but the issues are no more rare than any others of the same

age.

I read this article about a year ago...and have kept my eyes open since...