• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest CBG - CGC Snafu!!!!

57 posts in this topic

Still, I don't see what is "wacky" about not wearing gloves for lower grade books if your hands are very clean? Wearing gloves is very uncomfortable and there is no reason for someone to wear them for 8-12 hours straight (with a break for lunch).

Believe me, I understand the reasons why, but in my experience, consistency in procedure yields the least mistakes.

That's why people who leave the building everytime they hear the fire alarm have a 100% greater chance of survival in a real fire. grin.gif

Memo to Forum Members:

Steve Borock and the Supremes are not building computer chips in their Florida fortress - they're handling PAPER.

If a big stack of VG books are plopped in front of them, they don't need to don a Hazmat suit (with elbow length white satin Chanel gloves) to grade those puppies. Short of throwing the books on the floor and doing the Watusi on them, touching them with bare hands isn't going to do squat to the grade. That's the point The Borockinator was making. However, when a bunch of Curator copies are plopped down, they're shown the appropriate deference. It may come as a crushing blow to some of you, but when one of your nasty low-grade Hulk #181s is sent in to be graded, a hush does not fall over the room.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a single person at a show snap on latex before yanking a comic out of the mylar - and that includes the high priest of high grade Tom "THE MAN" Brulato.

Memo to HooDeeDoo:

You have no clue what I'm talking about and probably think ISO 9000 is something that keeps your drink cold.

You've lost me. What exactly is the nexus between wearing gloves and using a high ISO when taking pictures with my new Canon EOS 10D?

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Consistency is the key Howdy Doody, consistency.

The chances that some pre-grader would mistakenly grab a Curator with bare hands increases exponentially under this scenario, as opposed to one where 100% of CGC books are touched with gloved hands.

Sure, the chance may be small, but it is infinitesimal under the "no glove, no grading love" procedure. It's not about "needing to", it's about lowering potential mistakes and ensuring that the high-grade comics do get the proper treatment.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a single person at a show snap on latex before yanking a comic out of the mylar - and that includes the high priest of high grade Tom "THE MAN" Brulato.

Separate from CI's "The Great Glove Debate of 2003 - Do they, or Don't They?!?"...does anybody on this board uses gloves when they handle their raw books?!?!? If so, do you use it for every raw book, or just the high grade, expensive books? How expensive? Maybe a new thread/poll is in order...

Yearssss ago when I ordered my first book from PCE, they included a pair of latex gloves in the box. At first I thought it was a little creepy, but eventually I told myself that it's really none of my business what they did on their lunchbreak! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Separate from CI's "The Great Glove Debate of 2003 - Do they, or Don't They?!?"...does anybody on this board uses gloves when they handle their raw books?!?!? If so, do you use it for every raw book, or just the high grade, expensive books? How expensive? Maybe a new thread/poll is in order...

Yearssss ago when I ordered my first book from PCE, they included a pair of latex gloves in the box. At first I thought it was a little creepy, but eventually I told myself that it's really none of my business what they did on their lunchbreak! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Never done it on a regular basis. But then again, I read all my 9.6 and 9.8 books while lying in bed.

Actually, just finished chatting with Steve who said that none of the Sotheby's grading members ever used gloves. First time I've seen gloves being used was for the unveiling of the Gaines File Copies! cool.gif

Do any gloves allow the user to delicately select & turn one page at a time?

I can only imagine scenarios where you don't always get a nice & easy page turn

because you can't always lift & separate a single page without grabbing it,

or you don't realize you're pressing too hard because of the glove's effect

on your senses at the fingertips.

Actually, just finished chatting with Steve who said that none of the Sotheby's grading members ever used gloves. First time I've seen gloves being used was for the unveiling of the Gaines File Copies! cool.gif

You know what they say, what goes around comes around. And yes, this does feel good:

grading.jpg

I believe this is called a SLAM DUNK!!

What I said to Greggy was " The sotheby"s and Christie's commitees I WAS ON did not use gloves" I was not on the first one.
Oh no....I'm guilty of not paying attention while on the phone! 893frustrated.gif