• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jackpot $$$!!!!!!!

86 posts in this topic

Blowout, you remember that this is the special retailers copy supposedly limited to 200 copies not the newsstand edition, so the comparison to XMen 268 isnt valid

I know exactly what this book is, its a manufactured collectable and has been discused to death here... 893blahblah.gif

I didn't compare it to X-Men 268 (or 248 either for that matter tongue.gif) that was diceX. Nice try aman. grin.gifblush.gif

I truly do not understand everybody's disdain for this book. There are only 200 of them. Are there only 200 Batman collectors in the entire world? The fact that I've sold 5 of these for between $500 and $950 already raw doesn't mean anything?

I think it's an interesting book, but arguments like "are there only 200 Batman/Usagi/Wolverine/etc. collectors in the entire world" are entirely specious. Of course there are more fans than that out there who would want this book (or Albedo #2, or TMNT #1, or Hulk #181, etc.), but are there 200 fans willing to pay *insane* money to get a copy? More importantly, will there be 200 fans willing to pay *insane* money 5/10/20/40 years from now?

The fact that you've sold 5 of these in the past few months for big money doesn't tell me anything other than the book is one of many that becomes "hot" soars to overinflated levels in the short-run. I'm sure the book will be in demand for a long time, but at these price levels? Will this book be worth more in inflation-adjusted terms 20 years from now than it is today? I doubt it. If you're looking to buy now and flip it at the Baltimore Con, you're just riding the hype wave, looking to sell out to a Greater (perhaps even the Greatest) Fool. That's perfectly fine, but let's not call it anything other than what it really is - speculation on a white-hot Modern book that's unlikely to remain at these kinds of levels over the long-term.

Gene

I truly do not understand everybody's disdain for this book. There are only 200 of them.

Dan, surely you remember the "limited/museum/DF editions" in the early to mid-90's, all of which skyrocketed and then flamed out soon after. I have a startling full-page ad from a 1993 CBM if you'd like to take a look and compare prices at 2003.

But no, this Batman comic will be the one to break this cycle... 27_laughing.gif

It is truely sad that it has been bid it up to $1,247.

I probably would have guessed a max of $100.

Even then it would have been about $85 more than it's worth.

Let me think of a better way to spend $1,300...

1) ASM #50 in CGC 9.2

2) Hulk #181 in CGC 9.2

3) FF #112 in CGC 9.6

4) 2 copies of MTU #1 in CGC 9.4

5) Hand Grenades. Lots of Hand Grenades.

6) All the Doritos you could stand to ever eat the rest of your life.

7) The time of your life at a "Gentleman's Club".

8) A fully loaded AMC Pacer.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are samples of 7) available? wink.gif

I'd like an informed opinion, ya know.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I get this book and have it as a centerpiece at the Baltimore Comicon where Jim Lee is the guest of honor, I'd be willing to wager a big block of Wisconsin Cheese that it wouldn't be on our wall past about noon.

Since I live in Wisconsin, are there alternative wagers? tongue.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

This book is a good book,but Again..it's right up there with Spider-man Platinum,Ultimate Spider-man White and god knows what else...Jim Lee can't draw this book forever,just like Bendis can't write USM forever either,once that happens I don't care if there is only 2 in the world...no one will want it.Someone should email the potential buyer and ask him "what are you thinking"??

I agree with what Kevin just said... it's not that there isn't some precedent for this already set... 200 books is a low number but there's a precedent previously set with similar books. Although Lee will be coming back to Batman for six more issues and his superman run will keep him in the spotlight, I'm not so sure this book will remain as hot as it is now. Will it still be valuable... sure... but I see the auction is about $1500 now... that seems way too high.

Not directed at Kevin, but his comments made me think of this:

Several people have said that once Bendis leaves the Ultimate titles or Lee leaves Batman that the valuation or desireability of these books will fall. How come the same does not hold true for books like Neal Adams GL run, Aparos Spectre/Adventure run, or Wrightsons Swamp Thing run? All of these creators left those books and never returned and its very difficult to get your hands on a HG copies (9.6 or 9.8) of any of them for less than guide.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that I think this Bat book has legs or that I would pay a rediculous amount for it or any Ultimate title. Celebrity voice impersonated.

Several people have said that once Bendis leaves the Ultimate titles or Lee leaves Batman that the valuation or desireability of these books will fall. How come the same does not hold true for books like Neal Adams GL run, Aparos Spectre/Adventure run, or Wrightsons Swamp Thing run? All of these creators left those books and never returned and its very difficult to get your hands on a HG copies (9.6 or 9.8) of any of them for less than guide.

Different era, different demographic, different results. You can't compare 1960's and 70's comics to the manufactured collectibles of today.

hey donut - - whats in FF167 thats so special??

FF167 is a fabulous Hulk vs. Thing battle by George Perez. I've got a couple of interior pages from the book, and its from "my run" - the first books that I really got into were FF 161-175.

I agree with what Kevin just said... it's not that there isn't some precedent for this already set... 200 books is a low number but there's a precedent previously set with similar books. Although Lee will be coming back to Batman for six more issues and his superman run will keep him in the spotlight, I'm not so sure this book will remain as hot as it is now. Will it still be valuable... sure... but I see the auction is about $1500 now... that seems way too high.

Precedent, precedent, and more precedent! Vocabulary from my business law book in actual use smile.gif

Anyways, this book is like all of the other "hot" modern books and is obviously an excellent time to dump this puppy since the DC wave is riding high right now. Did anyone see Wizard's "TOP 10 List" of hot issues? Sell your modern Supes and Bats now! insane.gif

I truly do not understand everybody's disdain for this book. There are only 200 of them. Are there only 200 Batman collectors in the entire world? The fact that I've sold 5 of these for between $500 and $950 already raw doesn't mean anything?

If I get this book and have it as a centerpiece at the Baltimore Comicon where Jim Lee is the guest of honor, I'd be willing to wager a big block of Wisconsin Cheese that it wouldn't be on our wall past about noon.

FD - I think you have to look at it in context of how well the Hush run has been received. This hasn't been a series where there were 150K copies sold of 608 and then it died down by 611, sales are still going strong at 618 and the word of mouth is unbelievable. It doesn't surprise me that this has gone from $500 to $950 for you. However, long term I think this one is a goner.

I would take a copy of this book for $100. 200 or not, manufactured collectible, etc. as other people said, this could be comparably compared to a Platinum Spidey #1 or maybe even a Gold X-O Manowar 1/2.

Are there Batman fans out there? Absolutely

Are there Jim Lee fans there? You bet

Are there a lot of people that would pay north of $1,500 for this book after Batman 619? Possibly

Are there a lot of people that would pay north of $1,500 for this book after Lee's next 6 issue run on Bats / run on Supes? Probably not.

DAM

This book is a good book,but Again..it's right up there with Spider-man Platinum,Ultimate Spider-man White and god knows what else...Jim Lee can't draw this book forever,just like Bendis can't write USM forever either,once that happens I don't care if there is only 2 in the world...no one will want it.Someone should email the potential buyer and ask him "what are you thinking"??

While I agree that the current price is pretty crazy, to say that this book will fall from grace is also crazy. It's probably one of the most rare Batman items around, and features art by one of the best artists around.

McFarlane hasn't done anything for years, but the Spider-Man Platinum #1 is still selling like crazy, and if a #1 Platinum in 9.8 came up for bid, I bet it would sell for close to $1,000, and there were a lot more than 200 of the platinum issue than this Batman issue.

While I agree that the current price is pretty crazy, to say that this book will fall from grace is also crazy. It's probably one of the most rare Batman items around, and features art by one of the best artists around.

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but I think we've shifted back in time to 1993....

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but I think we've shifted back in time to 1993....

then quick, buy up all ebay, microsoft and tech stock now!!! tongue.gif