• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby JIM #126 Battle Page - Sold too fast?

29 posts in this topic

I have never been able to take the OA market's temp with any real accuracy. . . . .Like all collecting, I buy what I like for what I can afford.

True. Figuring out what is going on in the market as a whole is nearly impossible with these wild swings.

Each page is different and each buyer is different, and some buyers will pay alot more for a page that someone else would never buy. Lord knows I've seen "art days" of stuff that I would never have an interest in. Conversely, at least one person has told me that they really don't like the favorite piece that I own.

In some ways these differing predilections keep the market as a whole afloat.

From the little I know, the page in question was within the market variances for that vintage Kirby page for that character. Whether it was a "good deal" or not depends on the buyer's particular affinity for Kirby, Thor, battle pages, etc.

But one thing to remember when you're frittering away the savings on that once in a lifetime page -- there's always another page. It might not be that exact same page. But the next page might be better.

Best regards.

- A

But one thing to remember when you're frittering away the savings on that once in a lifetime page -- there's always another page. It might not be that exact same page. But the next page might be better.

Best regards.

- A

Now you see, that is what makes me nervous! Cash is limited, but, while each piece is unique, there are always others.

Best regards.

- A

Now you see, that is what makes me nervous! Cash is limited, but, while each piece is unique, there are always others.

Too true, having now looked at this Thor 126 page (pg 6) Its not the best by any means. If you have the capital and more importantly the patience, you can wait for a better page or even the best page. The only problem that I can see is if theres a price spike in the market. Your wait might mean that a page that might have once been thought to guide at $3.3K might suddenly be $6.6K in years to come.

Ditko ASM pages are a prime example. When I started collecting. They ranged from $3-5K (yes, I had them and I sold them!) for the best action pages and topped at $5K for a long period of time (at least 5 years), then after the release of the 1st Spider-Man movie and also the growing value of Romita SR ASM art, Ditko ASM began to look cheap, they doubled then tripled in value and what now for a prime Ditko example? $25K? $35K? All I can say is if I had waited for a good example and something like that happened, well it would be game over in collecting terms for that particular artist.

Clem...

Its been nearly 2 years now so i thought it would be interesting to bump this thread to see in which direction collectors think original artwork has gone and in particular these types of pieces. Would this piece for example be worth more or less than what it sold for i.e $3,300 2 years ago given the current economic climate.

I'd say that the Kirby market is still solid as prices being paid for Kirby art as well as Watchmen pages, etc. would indicate a strong market. There is definitely money out there for OA. I can attest from personal experience and from speaking with other collectors -- great pages continue to get strong prices. And I'd also ad that contrary to thinking before the economy started to tank, there hasn't been a plethora of great art available on the market. Yes, a number of Watchmen pages have hit the market publicly and privately, but from speaking with other dealers, no one is dumping their OA and it's still difficult to pry great OA from collectors.

Strange, I almost thought I had lost my mind. I was reading messages from myself that I could barely remember writing. I love Thor 126 so that would always interest me, especially a battle page. Thor v.s Hercules is a true Kirby classic. I've no idea about the current state of OA market but, quality is quality, that never changes. Its the average pages that suffer in a financial downturn.

Clem

Its been nearly 2 years now so i thought it would be interesting to bump this thread to see in which direction collectors think original artwork has gone and in particular these types of pieces. Would this piece for example be worth more or less than what it sold for i.e $3,300 2 years ago given the current economic climate.

I don't think there's any doubt that it would go for more than 3300 nowadays. Not sure how much higher, though. Does anyone have a scan of the art available to post here again?

Do you know it sold for 3300?

Is it possible he made an offer less than 3300 and the seller took it? Or that he a trade going and this was included?

edit------------------------

HA nevermind this is an old thread revived

I don't think there's any doubt that it would go for more than 3300 nowadays. Not sure how much higher, though. Does anyone have a scan of the art available to post here again?

I personally dont have this issue otherwise i would have put a scan up but from memory it was a twice-up large piece of artwork with Thor battling Hercules in 4 of the 5 panels. Looking at some of the prices of artwork by 'lesser artists' on some dealers websites i would guess that this would be 5K plus.