• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Simpsons Movie ranked #49 all time on IMDB

24 posts in this topic

Simpsons Movie is getting spectacular user reviews.

With 9000+ votes in, it is ranked a stunning 8.8 on the IMDB.com website. It's adjusted score would rank it the #49 favorite movie of all time with users. This rank would be higher than such movies as:

A Clockwork Orange

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The Shining

Das Boot

Reservoir Dogs

Saving Private Ryan

Raging Bull

Forrest Gump

Terminator 2

etc.

I saw the movie the first night and I must say I agree with them. This is the funniest Simpsons stuff I have seen since about Season 6. The theater was laughing throughout the entire movie.

I also noticed the artwork was better and the colors more vivid than the regular stuff done on for TV.

Best line was uttered by Homer in the theater as they are watching an Itchy & Scratchy cartoon, basically he says to his fellow movie patrons:

"Why are we paying for something we get for free at home on TV. You are all a bunch of suckers."

Great movie.

The opening day results are in. It was the 18th biggest grossing opening day of all time according to boxofficemojo with $29 million on Friday.

Looks like we will be getting a part 2 and 3 for sure with results like those.

Don't wait for this one on DVD, it was worth going to the theater to see it on the big screen.

As someone who has literally been a fan since Day 1 and has grown to expect the worst from material that has become popular elsewhere being brought to the big screen, let me say that this movie is FANTASTIC! I went it thinking that it was going to be no better than a current episode being expanded to 90 minutes. Though it is not as brilliant as the apex of The Simpsons from late Season 3 until around Season 7 - it should be the model to be studied as to how to bring a concept typically viewed for a limited durantion (22 minutes) to the big screen. There is enough of a story here to warrant 90 minutes and enough gags to be enjoyed and humored by throughout. The writers also "stepped it up" a bit and gave the viewers a little something extra because they didn't have to restrain themselves to Fox Network Standards & Practices. Therefore, there are a few gems that you'd never see on TV that are totally within the realm of Simpsons mythos plausability. It was awesome and can be enjoyed upon multiple viewings, just like the best episodes of the TV show.

With 9000+ votes in, it is ranked a stunning 8.8 on the IMDB.com website.

Say what you will about stereo-types being wrong, unfair, evil...

It seems that "Females aged 45+" are actively promoting the "old bat" cliches.

With 9000+ votes in, it is ranked a stunning 8.8 on the IMDB.com website.

Say what you will about stereo-types being wrong, unfair, evil...

It seems that "Females aged 45+" are actively promoting the "old bat" cliches.

Yes, and thankfully Hollywood totally ignores this market segment. No executive of an entertainment company making movies, TV shows, or music ever made the company goal to capture that elusive "women over 45 crowd".

I shudder to think of what entertainment would look like if they catered to that crowd.

:o

AP Photo

More Photos...

'The Simpsons Movie' Earns Big doh!

Sunday July 29 1:29 PM ET

Woo Hoo! "The Simpsons Movie" turned doughnuts into dollars over the weekend, raking in $71.9 million to debut as the top movie this week.

The big screen tale of the lovable, if dysfunctional, family rolled over the competition, sending last week's top movie, Universal Studio's "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry," into second place with $19 million, a 44 percent drop.

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," from Warner Bros., fell to third place with $17.1 million, a 48 percent drop from last week. The film has grossed $242 million domestically after three weeks in theaters.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Homer's odyssey paid off," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

The film, which featured the antics of yellow-hued Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggie and a host of motley characters, grossed an average of $18,320 on 3,922 screens across the country and also opened strongly in 70 foreign markets.

"We are ecstatic," said Chris Aronson, senior vice president for distribution at 20th Century Fox. "It far exceeded even the most optimistic of expectations."

The hand-drawn movie had the fifth best opening weekend of the year, beating such notable contenders as "Transformers," from Paramount, "Ghost Rider," from Sony Pictures and the computer-animated "Ratatouille," from The Walt Disney Co. and Pixar Animation Studios.

"It's unprecedented to have the longest-running sitcom of all time still on the air and have it also be the number one movie in theaters," Dergarabedian said.

Dergarabedian praised the film's marketing campaign, which included dressing a number of 7-Eleven stores around the country as Kwik-E-Marts, the fictional convenience stores selling such Simpsons' favorites as Buzz Cola and Squishees.

The debut was good news for Fox, which also has done well this year with top-grossing films "Live Free or Die Hard" and "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."

The long-awaited film version of the Fox Television show played well across the country and with all age brackets, Fox said Sunday, giving the distributor hope that it will hold its own against next week's big opener, "The Bourne Ultimatum," from Universal.

The stellar debut of "The Simpsons Movie" helped propel the summer box office take. This week's top-12 films grossed $168.6 million, up a whopping 45 percent from the top 12 last year, which included "Miami Vice" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

The weekend's other debuts made the top 10, but lagged far behind "The Simpsons Movie."

"No Reservations," the Warner Bros. romantic comedy starring Catherine Zeta-Jones as a gourmet chef, earned $11.8 million.

"I Know Who Killed Me," a Sony Pictures/Tri-Star thriller starring Lindsay Lohan, debuted in 9th place with a paltry $3.4 million.

"Who's Your Caddy," from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, grossed $2.9 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Simpsons Movie," $71.8 million.

2. "I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry," $19.1 million.

3. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," $17.1 million.

4. "Hairspray," $15.6 million.

5. "No Reservations," $11.8 million.

6. "Transformers," $11.5 million.

7. "Ratatouille," $7.2 million.

8. "Live Free or Die Hard," $5.4 million.

9. "I Know Who Killed Me," $3.4 million.

10. "Who's Your Caddy," $2.9 million.

___

On the Net:

http://www.mediabynumbers.com

___

Universal Pictures and Focus Features are owned by NBC Universal, a joint venture of General Electric Co. and Vivendi Universal; Sony Pictures, Sony Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics are units of Sony Corp.; DreamWorks, Paramount and Paramount Vantage are divisions of Viacom Inc.; Disney's parent is The Walt Disney Co.; Miramax is a division of The Walt Disney Co.; 20th Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures and Fox Atomic are owned by News Corp.; Warner Bros., New Line, Warner Independent and Picturehouse are units of Time Warner Inc.; MGM is owned by a consortium of Providence Equity Partners, Texas Pacific Group, Sony Corp., Comcast Corp., DLJ Merchant Banking Partners and Quadrangle Group; Lionsgate is owned by Lionsgate Entertainment Corp.; IFC Films is owned by Rainbow Media Holdings, a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corp.

when the dust settles it won't stay in IMDB Top 250 - remember 300??? It was in the TOP 25 all-time until the votes settled in -

CAL

Yes, and thankfully Hollywood totally ignores this market segment. No executive of an entertainment company making movies, TV shows, or music ever made the company goal to capture that elusive "women over 45 crowd".

I shudder to think of what entertainment would look like if they catered to that crowd.

Touched by an Angel, Crossing Over, and generic wife-beating-husband-so-sister-you-got-to-get-out-of-that-marriage-made-for-LifeTime-TV movie

From Wiki

Budget $75 million

:whatthe:

HUGE PROFIT for this movie

Huge profit from theatrical revenue.

And they also might make a few extra dollars on DVD sales and merchandising. hm

Here comes the sequel..........

Funny Movie, but I happened to be in a theater with some very immature kids who laughed at every sentence. After while this got quite annoying. I will probably have to see it again. I reported the problem to AMC afterwards, and they gave me a full refund. Thus I will attempt to go back with my girlfriend later on in the week.

*Chuck and Larry w/ Sandler was funny too!

Touched by an Angel, Crossing Over, and generic wife-beating-husband-so-sister-you-got-to-get-out-of-that-marriage-made-for-LifeTime-TV movie

Golden Girls, Steel Magnolia, Fried Green Tomatoes