• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby art going for more these days?

12 posts in this topic

Is it just me or are Kirby covers going for way more than they were a year ago.

I've seen one Kamandi cover advertised for sale at more than $10,000 recently and others going for nearly that amount. I gave (in trade) almost $5,000 for my OMAC cover, but at that time I got it was still seeing Kamandi covers go for around the same price.

Really, are Kirby covers going for that much more than last year's prices or is it just my imagination? Are all Kirby covers going for much more a year later? Case in point: I saw on one website a Captain Victory cover for less than $3,000, but on another site, a Silver Star cover was going for upwards of $7,000. That leads me to believe it's not just Kirby Kamandi covers that are increasing in value, but Kirby covers across the board.

Can anybody help me with my questions?

Mike B.

Yes. Kirby art is hot. Prices on all Kirby pieces, not just covers, are going up. See other threads on Kirby, including the Thor 126 page thread.

However, whether the market will support such increases for what's often considered work outside of Jack's prime period remains to be seen. My own opinion is that yes it will. What's probably happening is a series of things:

1. People who want a nice Kirby FF page are no longer able to afford one, so they turn their attention to what they can afford. As a result, demand is increasing for his Fourth World and other later work. A few years ago that type of work was so cheap. Now a Kamandi page costs what an FF page did 5 years ago!!

2. Lots of comic collectors are entering the the art collecting area and many of them have money to spend. Competition for good pages is tight. So formerly low-interest material is now getting more interest. And the people who grew up reading Fourth World material are now at the age that they have more disposable income.

3. Kirby is hot. So it's classic case of supply and demand. Covers are high-profile items. So prices are going up.

Yes. Kirby art is hot. Prices on all Kirby pieces, not just covers, are going up. See other threads on Kirby, including the Thor 126 page thread.

However, whether the market will support such increases for what's often considered work outside of Jack's prime period remains to be seen. My own opinion is that yes it will. What's probably happening is a series of things:

1. People who want a nice Kirby FF page are no longer able to afford one, so they turn their attention to what they can afford. As a result, demand is increasing for his Fourth World and other later work. A few years ago that type of work was so cheap. Now a Kamandi page costs what an FF page did 5 years ago!!

2. Lots of comic collectors are entering the the art collecting area and many of them have money to spend. Competition for good pages is tight. So formerly low-interest material is now getting more interest. And the people who grew up reading Fourth World material are now at the age that they have more disposable income.

3. Kirby is hot. So it's classic case of supply and demand. Covers are high-profile items. So prices are going up.

I'm not surprised. I said it a while back that Kirby, no matter how many other hot artists come along to take the spotlight, is still King.

I always figured these 1970s Kirby covers would hit the $10K mark sooner than later. I really anticipate his 1980s work to escalate in value, too. I have what I consider his greatest cover from the 1980s (Super Powers Vol. 1 No. 2) and never believed the naysayers for a minute when they told me the cover wasn't even worth a grand and I had paid way too much for it because it wasn't Kirby in his prime.

When I first got that cover, some collectors and dealers said it was like comic art poison because Kirby collectors didn't like that period of his work. But, I knew the images stood on their own, despite the fact that it was done in the early 1980s when those same Kirby collectors say his art declined.

Here's a link to my only two Kirby pieces:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=13050

The Super Powers cover is inked over the pencils by Mike Royer. It's one of only two he inked over the pencils, he told me. The OMAC is inked by D. Bruce Berry over the pencils.

I think they're both really nice Kirby covers, but you wouldn't believe how many people said the Super Powers wasn't very collectible.

Mike B.

I'm not surprised. I said it a while back that Kirby, no matter how many other hot artists come along to take the spotlight, is still King.

I always figured these 1970s Kirby covers would hit the $10K mark sooner than later. I really anticipate his 1980s work to escalate in value, too. I have what I consider his greatest cover from the 1980s (Super Powers Vol. 1 No. 2) and never believed the naysayers for a minute when they told me the cover wasn't even worth a grand and I had paid way too much for it because it wasn't Kirby in his prime.

When I first got that cover, some collectors and dealers said it was like comic art poison because Kirby collectors didn't like that period of his work. But, I knew the images stood on their own, despite the fact that it was done in the early 1980s when those same Kirby collectors say his art declined.

Here's a link to my only two Kirby pieces:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=13050

The Super Powers cover is inked over the pencils by Mike Royer. It's one of only two he inked over the pencils, he told me. The OMAC is inked by D. Bruce Berry over the pencils.

I think they're both really nice Kirby covers, but you wouldn't believe how many people said the Super Powers wasn't very collectible.

Mike B.

Mike, those are great pieces! What a great Super Powers cover!

I agree, much of Jack's Fourth World and later (1980s) material is under-appreciated. As a kid I was never a big fan of his DC work, and that has stayed with me a long time -- but I am reading the Fourth World Omnibus and it's changed my mind about that material. Put together in order, it's a fun read! And I appreciate the art more when I appreciate the story.

I always liked his run on Machine Man and the Captain America 193 & up material.

I would be proud to own that Super Powers cover you have.

I think the glut of Kirby material earlier in the decade made people very elitist about that they considered "the good stuff". I was probably one of them. But not any more... hm

Many people disparage 1970's Kirby too. But look, when you are the King, everyone wants to commit regicide! The bigger the target, the more shots its gonna take.

Here is a portion of an email I got today demonstrating his appeal to a comic collector in his early 30's:

Additionally, 70s Kirby stuff in high grade always gets my crank rockin' as well: Demon, Kamandi, New Gods, Mister Miracle, OMAC, Jimmy Olsen, Machine Man, Black Panther, Eternals, etc....

I don't see how Kirby's art could ever decline in value unless the market as a whole tanks which would only happen if we went into a long-lasting world wide depression following a very big ka-boom in a major American city.

4. To some people (myself included) Kirby's later period was his best period. I've heard all the arguments for the 60's ad infinitum... but for over the top chunky, think lined, squared kneed in your face action and dynamism give me the 70's Kirby any day! Maybe it's just finally getting it's due....

4. To some people (myself included) Kirby's later period was his best period. I've heard all the arguments for the 60's ad infinitum... but for over the top chunky, think lined, squared kneed in your face action and dynamism give me the 70's Kirby any day! Maybe it's just finally getting it's due....

Dan, I totally agree with you. For a long time I did not appreciate his later work as much as his some of his Silver Age work. But ultimately it may come down to art by the right inkers. Kirby had good inkers in his later work, and his dynamic pencils are rendered more truly.

I was just thinking the same thing. Yes, Sinnott and Stone seemed to have got it right... meaning to my taste twice up wise, but Giacoia really gets going in the 70's for my money and Royer, ummm yes, and still Sinnott. Alot to like visually in the 70's.

Plus, you get all those crammed in visually knock you up side the head dps's!

To me nothing beats a Kirby twice up. His large bold dynamic style suits that format. IMHO Jacks style looks a little cramp on the smaller page size. Also if FF is no longer affordable look to Thor & Cap A to follow, It might not be too late to get a decent page at a reasonable from what are essentially Kirby iconic characters outside of the FF.

Clem...