• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

Well, here's my SDCC pick up. I'm not one to search out sig series books but when I saw what sort of shape this book was in I couldn't resist. Might just be the nicest JIM #84 I will ever see, and I've been looking for years.

Some people who saw the book thought it had a shot at 9.2 on resub (didn't even cross my mind until they mentioned it).

I simply bought it cause it's one of those "snooze and you lose" books.

:cloud9:

JourneyIntoMystery84CGC9_0OWW.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

That's a keeper! OW/W page quality, even. Sigh. :cloud9: Mental note: Don't feel sorry for Roy.

Paired with the 9.0 copy of JIM #83, that makes for a formidable duo. I haven't seen many high grade sales of JIM #83 this year, just a handful...

The Twin Cities 8.5 white pages copy for $28,860 in May, and the 9.0 ow/w copy on ComicLink for $52,102...the most recent mid-grade sale was a 7.5 white pages copy last month for $12,750.

Looking at those results, I need to diligently build a war chest for the future...

As often expressed here...not a big fan of sigs-on-the-cover books...especially in HG...but at least Stan Old Boy placed it nicely :headbang:

I agree, and given the choice I would have taken a blue label. In this case I didn't have much of a choice.

Pretty shockingly amazing book! CONGRATS Roy! :applause:

I was truly shocked...the seller saw my reaction when I laid eyes on the book!

As often expressed here...not a big fan of sigs-on-the-cover books...especially in HG...but at least Stan Old Boy placed it nicely :headbang:

I agree, and given the choice I would have taken a blue label. In this case I didn't have much of a choice.

Pretty shockingly amazing book! CONGRATS Roy! :applause:

I was truly shocked...the seller saw my reaction when I laid eyes on the book!

Roy, I don't often compliment on most SA acquisitions, but that book is indeed a true PITA to obtain in high grade. Congrats on a sweet copy.

Well, here's my SDCC pick up. I'm not one to search out sig series books but when I saw what sort of shape this book was in I couldn't resist. Might just be the nicest JIM #84 I will ever see, and I've been looking for years.

Some people who saw the book thought it had a shot at 9.2 on resub (didn't even cross my mind until they mentioned it).

I simply bought it cause it's one of those "snooze and you lose" books.

:cloud9:

JourneyIntoMystery84CGC9_0OWW.jpg

Gorgeous! I appreciate a well placed Stan Sig in the right ink color! And great condition/centering/page quality as well!

You're the one who outbid me, eh? :pullhair:

Just curious, Roy, how much higher would you have gone on the 9.4? PM me :(

Mental note: Now I really don't feel sorry for Roy lol

Michael

Ah, I see that Tsimanga's former copy was #0764441002, yours is #1032311002--I just noticed the last 4 digits the first time, my bad. That makes 3 of the 9.4 copies accounted for (the other one sold on pristinecomics' website...) looking closer, this one lacks the production crease that Tsimanga's has.

In any case, I'm jealous (worship)

Here are some photos of my best copies of Journey Into Mystery #85:

First, the COA that comes with the Twin Cities books:

IMG_0574.jpg

Side by side (front):

IMG_0575.jpg

Side by side (back):

IMG_0578.jpg

It's hard to choose which one I like best. Sophie's Choice...

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

Spine detail, TC:

IMG_0579.jpg

Spine detail, non pedigree:

IMG_0580.jpg

Both have white page quality hm I do enjoy owning a Twin Cities book. I feel an emotional connection to knowing something of the story of the original owner.

Two things you can tell: I'm sentimental, and a mediocre photographer...

With all of the enthusiasm over the Edward Sarley ASM's going up for auction, there are some nice Journey Into Mystery issues that I wish I could afford. My favorite Kirby cover with an interior Kirby signature (!) and white page quality:

Journey Into Mystery #108 white PQ, Kirby sig.

That would look nice framed, next to the production art I have. Ah well, my 9.0 copy will have to do. No telling where this would end up on the final day, but I'd wager north of $1600...

Then I start looking at the other 9.4s and 9.6s. Gorgeous!

Maybe the Sarley books will suck up all the oxygen (and cash) in the auction and leave some relative (and uncharacteristic) bargains in their wake. Probably not. I'll envy the new owners, certainly.

Here is my latest purchase! :banana:

It's going to be shipped to me today!

CGC 2.5 OW/W Pages

Some chips and stains but pretty solid for a 2.5

jim83.jpg

The back cover is pretty clean

jim83back.jpg

Edited by Mark 1

I got the JIM 83 the other day while traveling and just got home to unleash it from the box. (now that is some out of context thread win right there)

Very presentable for the grade. Nice PQ

33dbabc7.jpg

And now with the family (others await in the long box condo)

4cf1c4d0.jpg