• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collector/ Dealer relationship

80 posts in this topic

I am a halfass lawyer and a halfass comic dealer....and I wouldn't want to do either as a living.

That's why I am going to stay in school til it's time to retire.

I think if there is anything to take from this thread this has to be it.

lol

...and every word is true.

I am a halfass lawyer and a halfass comic dealer....and I wouldn't want to do either as a living.

That's why I am going to stay in school til it's time to retire.

I think if there is anything to take from this thread this has to be it.

lol

...and every word is true.

The perfect person to represent me in court! An honest halfassed lawyer!

edit: There you go, a lawyer joke. damn I'm funny

If I pick the dealer's side in this argument can I get discounts?

I have a funny feeling you should be asking for a lawyer's

discount the way you can carry on. :baiting:

I'll takes me chances and defend myself!!!! :insane:

The lawyer that represents himself.........

My Girlfriend's ex-husband "defended himself" so well that my GF's attorney didn't even present her side of the custody case, and won. lol

A thousand times a day? I wish.

First day in ages I've had time to post this much.

Don't worry, this is all about my secret desire to be a comic dealer and my innate jealousy. I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.

It all works out to about 5.3 posts per day over the last 51 months. (thumbs u

This has been a very interesting thread and I have even more

respect for comic book dealers than before and a new respect

for lawyers. Being a lawyer sounds very stressful.

Chris, your post showing both sides of the conversation was

extremely insightful. (thumbs u

Thanks... I tried.

Chris

This has been a very interesting thread and I have even more

respect for comic book dealers than before and a new respect

for lawyers. Being a lawyer sounds very stressful.

Chris, your post showing both sides of the conversation was

extremely insightful. (thumbs u

Thanks... I tried.

Chris

It was actually the best post of the whole thread. Thanks for giving equal weight to both sides.

My 2c: I'd love to make a living from being a comic dealer, but I wouldn't dare to unless I was already independently wealthy. I think it's a damn tough job with a lot of competition and thin margins as Rich has mentioned.

The comparison that's been made here is being a dealer vs. being a lawyer, but "lawyer" encompasses so many different jobs within the profession that it's not a meaningful comparison. There are almost no similarities between a one man operation and being a partner at Skadden Arps, or other legal jobs such as being a DA or public defender, or in-house. I would guess a lawyer who hangs out his own shingle experiences many of the same issues that a comic dealer does, and similarly to my take on being a comic dealer, I wouldn't want to start my own law practice unless I was already independently wealthy. It's a damn tough job with lots of competition and thin margins unless you can break through to the upper tier.

And in terms of what you said about stupid dealers not lasting long in this business. Lawyers have a body set up in each state to remove the license from those "stupid" or irresponsible or dishonest lawyers you talk about...woudn't it be great if they did in the comic field? It took the crash of '92 to get rid of most of those guys...but they seemed to have grown back like a fungus.

Well, let's be honest and admit that the bar for being expelled is set ve-e-e-ry low. There are a lot of stupid lawyers, some are walking malpractice cases just waiting to happen. I'm not just talking about solo practicioners or dicey public defenders either, but lawyers at the biggest, most prestigious law firms in the world.

I'm not just talking about solo practicioners or dicey public defenders either, but lawyers at the biggest, most prestigious law firms in the world.

I knew a female public defender who left a murder trial (it was just a status date, but still) to go to Traders Vicks for happy hour....leaving her case in the capable hands of her second year intern with a 711 license.

Let's just say I would hate to be poor and on trial in Cook County.

Comic dealers pretty much need some comics, a show schedule, and some post it notes to get going...there is nothing to stop you.

Ahhghh! I knew I'd been doing something wrong all htese years. No post it notes! Plus no real understanding as to what the benefits are of having them.

That's a great, great post Chris. As you've shown, barriers to entry are very low in the comics biz. You've also taught a lot of us a little bit about what it takes to run a law firm (as has Brian).

Btw, I took the original post not as whining, but as a funny take on how the grass isn't greener when you cross over from the collector side to the dealer side.

Marc

Dale,

After reading all of the dribble on here as of late, I would really like to commend you on your latest offerings! Please continue. Some of us are interested in more than the array of fantaboinglous graemlins!!! I know I speak for many…

John (thumbs u

I'm not just talking about solo practicioners or dicey public defenders either, but lawyers at the biggest, most prestigious law firms in the world.

I knew a female public defender who left a murder trial (it was just a status date, but still) to go to Traders Vicks for happy hour....leaving her case in the capable hands of her second year intern with a 711 license.

Was she drinking a pina colada?

Ahhhhhooooooo

Was she drinking a pina colada?

Ahhhhhooooooo

And her hair was perfect?

Comic dealers pretty much need some comics, a show schedule, and some post it notes to get going...there is nothing to stop you.

Ahhghh! I knew I'd been doing something wrong all htese years. No post it notes! Plus no real understanding as to what the benefits are of having them.

That's a great, great post Chris. As you've shown, barriers to entry are very low in the comics biz. You've also taught a lot of us a little bit about what it takes to run a law firm (as has Brian).

Btw, I took the original post not as whining, but as a funny take on how the grass isn't greener when you cross over from the collector side to the dealer side.

Marc

I agree, that's what I thought when I read this, I thought it was a cute ...and I think it diverted into an apples and oranges kind of thing.

I certainly agree that running a small business is hard, but any job can be hard, if you put your heart and mind into it...some people put more in, than others, and you certainly can say that with any small business. The difference with most of the professions, legal, accounting, teaching, etc...is that not everyone has the ability to pass that bar, exam, obtain the degrees that are necessary.

Comic book dealers, rarely get emergency phone calls at 9pm on a Sunday night, or if they do, they aren't the same kind of emergencies...

I just think the bottom line is, there is stress in every job, if you care and try...just not everyone can do every job, whether it's lifting boxes, or writing a tort.

It's important to try to pick a job or career you will be happy in and can be successful in, so you don't mind working hard, and not all of us manage to do that .

Comic book dealers, rarely get emergency phone calls at 9pm on a Sunday night, or if they do, they aren't the same kind of emergencies...

Vince! I need that ultra high grade Brave & Bold 28, I just heard about a new movie! I'm on my way to the store!

But it's 9 pm on a Sunday, I was just getting ready to watch Desperate Housewives, not desperate comic collectors!

Was it 2 for 1 or $2 drafts or half-off top-shelf?

I mean, if so then it makes total sense. (shrug)

Vince! I need that ultra high grade Brave & Bold 28, I just heard about a new movie! I'm on my way to the store!

But it's 9 pm on a Sunday, I was just getting ready to watch Desperate Housewives, not desperate comic collectors!

Yes, that about equates to...HELP I have an audit tomorrow morning at 8am with the IRS and I'm afraid I'm going to jail, Ior...perhaps, Help, I'm IN Jail...I CAN see that one...;) I'm putting chocolatiers on the list as well...one never knows...

A dealer needs to do the counterpart to this private email with all of the same irony and tacit humor of the original but directed toward everything positive about the business. The problem with a second email would be that its intended audience would change to the entire internet and not simply Mr Roberts: the author's colleague. This would create too much of a danger for contrivance and potentially remove the breathtaking candor of anonymous' communication.