• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of OSPG to pay for Silver Age in VF to VF/NM?

14 posts in this topic

For books in VF to VF/NM (RAW):

What percentage of OSPG would be a good price for SA 1960-1964?

What percentage of OSPG would be a good price for SA 1965-1969?

These would be non-key books to fill in runs.

thanks,

spookley

An interesting question. Half guide would be wonderful for any later Silver Age but there's a big difference in availability between VF and VF/NM. At conventions, I am always happy to delve into half-price boxes as they are usually 50% guide.

It's tough to make a call on the early stuff, as books (even non-keys) in HG just are not easy to find. I think that's why when a board member shows off a "new" book, other forum members are quick to congratulate a collector for a scan of a really nice book, as they would finding an old friend. And I don't mean this in any disparaging way. To me a good book is truly pop art.

Of course, one could always rely upon a old truism. If you really like the book and you paid guide or below, how could one complain? If you paid multiples of guide and really, really, really like the book -- just don't tell anyone. :shy:

My 12¢

Dennis

I will buy raw around 6.5-7.5 (clean; cover and centrefolds firmly attached; no spine roll; no spine splits). These can be found easily enough at conventions at 50% guide. These books at this level are great readers. This half of my collecting I find to the most enjoyable at the lowest cost.

I buy CGC @ 8.5-9.4W. Unless it's ASM, there is usually no premium over guide at the 8.5/9.0 level. Always some exceptions (i.e., white paper premium) but they are few.

So I guess you could extrapolate fair raw prices from this: a raw book would need to be really high grade (9.4?) to trade much over guide; or something that is seldom seen; or currently a hot title. Therefore for most late Silver books, Overstreet will be a useful benchmark.

My 12¢

Dennis

What about the difference in the number high grade silver DC and Marvel? Does that get accounted for? I see a lot more high grade Marvel than DC. Although I assume silver DC is in lower demand but I would still think the rarity would commmand more of a premium. I agree for the most part with what was posted earlier tho.

It's a good question. I had been completely Marvel-centric.

From what I have read from collectors on these boards, DCs are a different animal: more difficult to find in higher grades; perhaps judged more harshly by the CGC; and the good stuff stays buried in collections, seldom changing hands. Therefore if you see something you like or need, buy it.

Fair assessment?

My 12¢

Dennis

I guess thats as fair an answer there is going to be. DC hg stuff are impossible to find and when you do there is someone else looking to buy it. We need a huge warehouse find of silver DC lol

It's a good question. I had been completely Marvel-centric.

From what I have read from collectors on these boards, DCs are a different animal: more difficult to find in higher grades; perhaps judged more harshly by the CGC; and the good stuff stays buried in collections, seldom changing hands. Therefore if you see something you like or need, buy it.

Fair assessment?

My 12¢

Dennis

(thumbs u

At least in my limited experience with early DC, you take at least 1 grade level off its Marvel counterpart.

So a 9.4 Marvel would be a 9.2 DC

A 9.2 Marvel is a 9.0 DC

Only difference is that there are cases where a 9.2/0 DC is a top census book.

At least in my limited experience with early DC, you take at least 1 grade level off its Marvel counterpart.

A 9.2 Marvel is a 9.0 DC

Arex & Rodan;

Any reason for this inconsistency in the CGC grading between DC and Marvel books? This is not the first time that I have also heard that CGC is tougher on the DC books relative to the Marvel books.

If anything, due to their scarcity, you would normally expect CGC to go the other way. After all, it's also known that CGC is more lenient when it comes to GA books as opposed to the more common later books.

From what I've seen lately as far as ultra high grade SA DC goes you can throw out the guide cause there are so few high grade books in existence! I've seen some staggering prices being paid for even 9.0 and 9.2 SA Flash books in this past Heritage auction #825!

From what I've seen lately as far as ultra high grade SA DC goes you can throw out the guide cause there are so few high grade books in existence! I've seen some staggering prices being paid for even 9.0 and 9.2 SA Flash books in this past Heritage auction #825!

Agreed. It really depends on the book much more than the year its from or even the title.. I certainly am willing to pay over guide on early silver DC war books in high grade because they are impossible to find. Obscurity is a double bladed sword at times. Stuff that doesn't guide for much that is quality and hard to get can command over guide prices because it is never seen and on lots of peoples want lists. And who would complain when a book from the 60's guides for $50 and you have to pay $75 for a sweet copy. Either way try to negotiate if at a convention.Good luck!

you usually don't see much VF or better SA in the 50% off boxes. Oh, it might say VF on it, but it's not actually a VF OR the price that it's "half" off of is, in fact, 150-200% of OPG! I've noticed more dealers base the discount on grade, so that maybe VF is 15% off, VF/NM is even smaller, whereas maybe a VG/Fine is 50% off.

A 9.2 Marvel is a 9.0 DC

Arex & Rodan;

Any reason for this inconsistency in the CGC grading between DC and Marvel books? This is not the first time that I have also heard that CGC is tougher on the DC books relative to the Marvel books.

If anything, due to their scarcity, you would normally expect CGC to go the other way. After all, it's also known that CGC is more lenient when it comes to GA books as opposed to the more common later books.

I dont know it seems that DCs are graded more harsh than Marvels :shrug: I cant come up with an viable reason. The only thing I could deduce is that the cover stock or paper lends itself to being more susecptible to tiny flaws. That theory is about as believeable as the Warren Commision report on who killd JFK :insane: