• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perhaps a change?

38 posts in this topic

If you've read my two topics, you know that I have re-entered the comic world and by the clueless-ness of my posts, that I am pretty much going at it solo. With no real mentor and wasting money via my trial-and-error-method.

That being said, when I come here, I feel as thought I am at the MLB all-star game while I just played in a T-ball match from the special needs program.

What I mean is, it is obvious that most of the users and posts here are way out of my league. I read the threads, and have only a vague clue as to what you all are talking about.

So my question, is there a forum that is more suited for someone such as myself. i.e., one whose knowledge really does not extend beyond the 80's and whose current collecting revolves mostly around modern books?

I tried one, it was something like, comics.about.com or something similiar. The home page was virtually indecipherable and it proved fruitless.

P.S. is anyone else as pissed as I am that Kevin Smith is basically using his celebrity status to bully his way into comics?

look man, you can be no more clueless about comics as I was when I walked back into collecting in 03.

Just STAY HERE AND ABSORB IT and eventually you will absorb/learn/understand the comic hobby better than probably most people could expect to learn in a lifetime. I know I fit into that category

It is overwhelming, but the knowledge has to come from somewhere and here is the best place for it.

also there is a Modern Section

If you want to gab about Newer Comics...

Collecting Newer comics isn't a bad thing either,

I would just advise against investing in Moderns...

There is a BIG difference between collecting and investing.

But in all honesty, collect and invest in what you want

it is your money ya know.

Just be yourself, no matter what happens, nobody can take

that away from you.

:thumbsup:

look man, you can be no more clueless about comics as I was when I walked back into collecting in 03.

Just STAY HERE AND ABSORB IT and eventually you will absorb/learn/understand the comic hobby better than probably most people could expect to learn in a lifetime. I know I fit into that category

It is overwhelming, but the knowledge has to come from somewhere and here is the best place for it.

arex is - unusually for him - spot on here. heck, just until last year, the dude didn't know who Carl Barks was! :whatthe: now, look at him. he can almost tell who did a cover just by the style alone. :baiting:

point is, there ain't nothing too impenetrable about this hobby. the more you hang out here, the more you will know, and that is for sure.

i'd advise you to read, read, read. it won't happen overnight, but pretty soon you'll find yourself getting up to speed.

trust me, there are a lot of us who came back to the hobby after a long absence, and most of us made some pretty bad buying decisions at the beginning. some worse than others. but for the most part, the mistakes you make will be great tools for learning, hopefully before you sink a bunch of cash into a book you thought was worth a lot more than it actually was

arex is - unusually for him - spot on here. heck, just until last year, the dude didn't know who Carl Barks was!
And no, he isnt joking either.

btw, I was thinking about that episode in Hickory when you looked at me like I had three heads when you, I, and Banks were talking (i think it was Banks)

arex is - unusually for him - spot on here

:acclaim:

...With no real mentor and wasting money via my trial-and-error-method...

..What I mean is, it is obvious that most of the users and posts here are way out of my league. I read the threads, and have only a vague clue as to what you all are talking about.

Listen, as long as you are in this hobby, you are going to win some and lose some. I have been collecting for over 15 years and I still get boned every once in a while. That's what trial and error is, you screw up you learn from it. Also, don't let the people in this forum buffalo you. You know as much as they did when they started. It's mostly smoke, mirrors and an occasional opinion thrown in for good measure. However, there are several knowledge people on this board and I would rather have them backing me up or educating me as some other jerk leg outfit.

2c

P.S. is anyone else as pissed as I am that Kevin Smith is basically using his celebrity status to bully his way into comics?

NEWSARAMA.COM is good for Modern Chat. Very busy with a lot of posters.

Way bigger population than CGC.

Specialize in something. Be #1 in the world at it.

Yes I agree with Arex. I waqs and still am sort of new to comic book collecting. I knew what I liked (Silver Age Marvels :cloud9: ). And what I didn't like (Bronze Age DCs). I had no idea what the hell the Golden Age was about confused.gif (except for Captain America :headbang: ). But I kept reading senior members posts and learning and now I'm just another collector on the boards.

...With no real mentor and wasting money via my trial-and-error-method...

..What I mean is, it is obvious that most of the users and posts here are way out of my league. I read the threads, and have only a vague clue as to what you all are talking about.

Listen, as long as you are in this hobby, you are going to win some and lose some. I have been collecting for over 15 years and I still get boned every once in a while. That's what trial and error is, you screw up you learn from it. Also, don't let the people in this forum buffalo you. You know as much as they did when they started. It's mostly smoke, mirrors and an occasional opinion thrown in for good measure. However, there are several knowledge people on this board and I would rather have them backing me up or educating me as some other jerk leg outfit.

2c

:headbang:

If you've read my two topics, you know that I have re-entered the comic world and by the clueless-ness of my posts, that I am pretty much going at it solo. With no real mentor and wasting money via my trial-and-error-method.

That being said, when I come here, I feel as thought I am at the MLB all-star game while I just played in a T-ball match from the special needs program.

What I mean is, it is obvious that most of the users and posts here are way out of my league. I read the threads, and have only a vague clue as to what you all are talking about.

So my question, is there a forum that is more suited for someone such as myself. i.e., one whose knowledge really does not extend beyond the 80's and whose current collecting revolves mostly around modern books?

I tried one, it was something like, comics.about.com or something similiar. The home page was virtually indecipherable and it proved fruitless.

Stick around, mate! Read up & feel free to ask lots of questions.

If someone says "we've answered that a million times", who cares.

Enjoy, and welcome to the forums! (thumbs u

Stick around, mate! Read up & feel free to ask lots of questions.

Enjoy, and welcome to the forums! (thumbs u

and by "someone," he means tth2. don't get on that guy's bad side. you have been warned

It's funny, as I read your responses I realize that in the past week, I have come to know what B&B 28 is, what AF 15 is, and what DC # 27 is. Before that, the only information I could offer was: "I hate Todd McFarlane, but I'm not sure why.

Now if Marvel could just stop making 87 variants for every semi-important issue, I would be happy.

P.S. I attended Wizard World in Philly when I got back into the fold. I attended a forum with that whats-his-name, Joe Quesadilla or whatever, (I know his real name, but Joe Quesadilla sounds better), and some bald dude who apparently writes everything. They said that Spidey and Mary Jane would never get divorced, they also said that Spiderman would never kill anyone with his bare hands. But didn't he just beat Kingpin into the afterlife?

no, he did not kill kingpin. spidey just beat him to within an inch of his life.

then said, the moment aunt may dies he will retuen a finish kingpin off.

anyways, back on topic.

stick around the wealth of comic info i pick up on this site is astounding.

and i might add i have been collecting on and off for twenty years.

i learn new stuff on here everyday.

Read up & feel free to ask lots of questions.

Be sure to ask about "pressing"!

Seriously, just hang out and read as many threads that you can that you feel might interest you. Heck, my sign on date is in May, 2005, but I hung out here for a solid year before registering. It took me that long to feel like I had something to say that held any merit. I had been out of the hobby for awhile too, but there are some guys on here who are veritable walking encyclopedias of knowledge. Just don't let the bad apples keep you from enjoying yourself, as we have a few that are rotten to the core. Welcome to the boards!

Scott