• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feedback on Ebay

46 posts in this topic

Although I am sure that alot of buying goes on, I think that the vast majority of posters here are sellers on Ebay. That being said, I'm wondering what your philosophy on leaving feedback for the winners of your auctions. I sell some stuff, and I always leave positive feedback as soon as payment is received by me. To me, at that point, the buyer has completed his obligation under the terms of the auction, and it is up to me now to deliver to him the product which I have advertised.

Recently, I have been in a buying mode, and have won auctions from about 12 different sellers. Almost two thirds of these sellers left me feedback right away, as I usually pay immediately via Paypal. However, I've noticed a trend that both interests and concerns me. Some sellers will NOT leave feedback until after I have received my books. As a buyer and a seller, I do not understand this. It makes me leery that the seller is waiting until I tell him I have no complaints with my auction win, and this makes me think that the product I win may not be as advertised, and the seller is protecting himself by not giving me feedback so he can neg me if I wanted to be a jerk and neg him for an unhappy purchase. The think is most of these books are slabbed, so I'm supposed to know what I am getting.

What are your guys views on this and am I completely missing something? I know that feedback is extremely important and helps us do what we like to do. I should mention that, while my seller account has a rating of over 400 with one neg, I have been buying with a relatively new account with a rating under 10. Would this make a difference? And why?

Thanks.

Although I am sure that alot of buying goes on, I think that the vast majority of posters here are sellers on Ebay. That being said, I'm wondering what your philosophy on leaving feedback for the winners of your auctions. I sell some stuff, and I always leave positive feedback as soon as payment is received by me. To me, at that point, the buyer has completed his obligation under the terms of the auction, and it is up to me now to deliver to him the product which I have advertised.

Recently, I have been in a buying mode, and have won auctions from about 12 different sellers. Almost two thirds of these sellers left me feedback right away, as I usually pay immediately via Paypal. However, I've noticed a trend that both interests and concerns me. Some sellers will NOT leave feedback until after I have received my books. As a buyer and a seller, I do not understand this. It makes me leery that the seller is waiting until I tell him I have no complaints with my auction win, and this makes me think that the product I win may not be as advertised, and the seller is protecting himself by not giving me feedback so he can neg me if I wanted to be a jerk and neg him for an unhappy purchase. The think is most of these books are slabbed, so I'm supposed to know what I am getting.

What are your guys views on this and am I completely missing something? I know that feedback is extremely important and helps us do what we like to do. I should mention that, while my seller account has a rating of over 400 with one neg, I have been buying with a relatively new account with a rating under 10. Would this make a difference? And why?

Thanks.

A lot of sellers wait until the buyer leaves feedback first that way they have some leverage if there is a problem. As a seller, I leave positive feedback upon receipt of payment since that is the buyer obligation and if they pay, they've done what they contracted to do.

As a seller, I leave positive feedback upon receipt of payment since that is the buyer obligation and if they pay, they've done what they contracted to do.

I'm mostly a buyer. About 90% buyer, 10% seller. When I sell I follow the above logic.

I only leave feedback for buyers after they leave feedback for me because there are some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons out there on ebay. I have buddies that have received unwarranted negatives for no good reason at all. They posted positive feedback for the buyer after payment was received, mailed it off, and ended up receiving a negative because the PO makes a big mistake by losing the package. Is it the seller's fault? Obviously no, but some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on ebay instantly hit the negative button before attempting to communicate with the seller to see what happened.

The transaction does not end with the buyer sending payment. A buyer can send a payment, receive the item and still cause havoc, so I base my positive feedback on the whole transaction. I remember a few months back, a guy sent me a paypal payment that paypal charged back since they suspected that the payment was sent from a stolen credit card. If I posted positive feedback right after receiving payment I could have been screwed. I had more leverage since I didn't post positive feedback yet and asked him to send a money order to me. Would he have been as cooperative if I posted positive feedback right away? Who knows, but I doubt it?

There are many other scenarios that buddies of mine have had happen to them....maybe bigman can share a story? Potential insufficiently_thoughtful_person trading partners = feedback later. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks.

You're not missing anything; it happens to me. I'll take it a step further and tell you what happened to me last week. I bought an uninterruptable power supply for my server at home, and the batteries were bad. I informed the seller, and we agreed that $30 credited back to me would "fix the deal" for me. Only problem was he insisted that I leave him positive feedback FIRST before he'd credit the money. Well, being on EBAY 3+ years I wasn't about to be bullied around, so I was very firm that I would not leave any sort of feedback until he made things right. Among the back and forth dialogue I brought up the fact that he should've already given me positive feedback as I paid immediately via Paypal, and he stated that he doesn't do it because that leaves me the option to possible "neg" him if I'm not happy. So, some of these sellers on EBAY think they hold all the cards, but they don't. That's why you pay with a credit card, right? Long story longer, he credited me the $30 and I went ahead and left him a positive feedback, and he immediately reciprocated.

I, however, give someone a positive if they pay promptly, unless the buyer has excessive negatives.

I only leave feedback for buyers after they leave feedback for me because there are some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons out there on ebay. I have buddies that have received unwarranted negatives for no good reason at all. They posted positive feedback for the buyer after payment was received, mailed it off, and ended up receiving a negative because the PO makes a big mistake by losing the package. Is it the seller's fault? Obviously no, but some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on ebay instantly hit the negative button before attempting to communicate with the seller to see what happened.

The transaction does not end with the buyer sending payment. A buyer can send a payment, receive the item and still cause havoc, so I base my positive feedback on the whole transaction. I remember a few months back, a guy sent me a paypal payment that paypal charged back since they suspected that the payment was sent from a stolen credit card. If I posted positive feedback right after receiving payment I could have been screwed. I had more leverage since I didn't post positive feedback yet and asked him to send a money order to me. Would he have been as cooperative if I posted positive feedback right away? Who knows, but I doubt it?

There are many other scenarios that buddies of mine have had happen to them....maybe bigman can share a story? Potential insufficiently_thoughtful_person trading partners = feedback later. thumbsup2.gif

What he said. It ain't over 'til the book (or whatever) is safely in the buyer's hands and they've communicated it to me.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Agreed - any seller who leaves pos feedback immediately, for anyone other than a long-time customer, is opening themselves up to some bad behavior on the part of buyers. I basically only buy on eBay, and I never leave feedback until I've received the goods and confirmed they're as stated in the auction. I never expect a seller to leave feedback until I've left feedback, since until I leave feedback there's no way for the seller to know if I'm a satisfied customer.

Agreed - any seller who leaves pos feedback immediately, for anyone other than a long-time customer, is opening themselves up to some bad behavior on the part of buyers. I basically only buy on eBay, and I never leave feedback until I've received the goods and confirmed they're as stated in the auction. I never expect a seller to leave feedback until I've left feedback, since until I leave feedback there's no way for the seller to know if I'm a satisfied customer.

Customers like yourself have their head on straight. (5 stars for that!) It's harder to be a seller on ebay because you can't choose who you are going to deal with and can have some insufficiently_thoughtful_person be on the other side of the transaction. As a buyer, you can view a seller's feedback and credibility before bidding flowerred.gif

Well as a small time seller... *Weekend eBayer* grin.gif

This is what I think:

I use to leave feedback right away but about last year the return feedbacks came down to 33%-50%.

My feed is as of now 395 (100% pos) and would be well over 500 if everyone left me return feedback. I'd really like my new star sometime before I get gray hair.

I started waiting to leave feedback until I got it and the rate went went way up! laugh.gif

The last 8 auctions I ran from 2 weeks ago 7 left feedback (88%!).

I offer returns so I don't backmail anyone.

Just want the lazy folks out there to give before they receive... smirk.gif

It depends on who I'm selling too also. If I know the buyer(like speedjunkies, bronzebruce13...etc) then no problem and I will leave positive feedback right away.

If I'm dealing with a buyer I don't know and they haven't even tried to communicate with me other than an envelope with the payment, then no, I will not leave feedback until the buyer does.

Speedjunkies stated it perfectly in that there are too many insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who will not communticate back too you in order for you to correct the situation that was no way your fault. A good seller will do anything within reason to make the transaction a successful one, if given the chance. Sometimes a buyer will not give the seller that chance.

Well as a small time seller... *Weekend eBayer* grin.gif

This is what I think:

I use to leave feedback right away but about last year the return feedbacks came down to 33%-50%.

My feed is as of now 395 (100% pos) and would be well over 500 if everyone left me return feedback. I'd really like my new star sometime before I get gray hair.

I started waiting to leave feedback until I got it and the rate went went way up! laugh.gif

The last 8 auctions I ran from 2 weeks ago 7 left feedback (88%!).

I offer returns so I don't backmail anyone.

Just want the lazy folks out there to give before they receive... smirk.gif

Now as a seller I know this to be absolutely true. I've ran to get buyer's books in the mail the day after they'd paid me, left them feedback as soon as I receive payment, only to get stiffed on feedback as well. I'm nearing 500 as well, so that especially P's me off. Forget it, from now on, no feedback for buyers until they leave glowing feedback for me, the bastids.

To prevent getting stiffed on feedback, keep a simple "feedback reminder email template" handy.

I just copy/paste info from my Excell records and remind the person that it is coming close to the 90 day limit for leaving feedback and that I have already left them great feedback and to please reciprocate if possible. Some folks are just busy and forget. I try but sometimes I get lax as well in regards to returning feedback when books come in.

It maybe that there are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on ebay, and that the Postal Service is notorious for mishaps. I have found from my ebay experience that the PO looses 2 out of 3 of the auction items I win, if I listen to the seller. I send payment promptly, even when the seller will only take a money order. However, I've found that the sellers rarely contact me to acknowledge payment. Or leave feedback acknowledging the buyer had completed their portion of the transaction. No the transaction does not end with the receipt of payment, far from it, it is now the seller's responsibility to send the item.

It is my belief that most seller's who hold feedback until the buyer leaves feedback, are sneaky. It's like a "you started it" mentality. If you leave me negative feedback, I'm leaving you negative feedback. How is that good business?

sign-rantpost.gif

Obviously you choose the "best" sellers on ebay to do business with. I have never had problems with shipping (lost packages or damaged items being sent from my end anyway). If you've been on the selling end as many times as I have or others on here with thousands of feedback, you would understand where we are coming from. I do not feel like posting a thorough explanation to fully answer every aspect of this particular topic when the concept of leaving feedback later is easily understandable to those with some common sense. 893frustrated.gif

Those with the belief that once a buyer sends a payment that the rest of the transaction is now the seller's responsibility are truly naive. Oh no, no, no, no, no. 893naughty-thumb.gif Buyers can still pull a fast one although they have sent payment. Just look at one of the many things that could happen (that has happened to me), which I posted above. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Good business is a seller that is more than willing to cooperate with a buyer to make things right if something "bad" does happen. The withheld feedback is a bargaining chip for that small percentage of buyers that are unpredictable and are more than uncooperative who never gives the seller a chance to possibly fix a situation although it may not be the seller's fault (ie. PO loses a package that the buyer wants a full refund for w/o the purchase of insurance, etc, etc, etc!). Like musicmeta has already stated, a good seller will go out of their way to make something right within reason, feedback witheld or not. Like an animal learning through classical conditioning...burn me once, burn me twice, and now I change my feedback policy. sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Added! news.gif

Here is a few stories that I would like to share with you since you are not aware of some of the stupid things that buyers do.

A friend of mine receives a money order that has already been self endorsed on the back by the buyer himself. 27_laughing.gif My friend (the seller, for the slow ones) emails the buyer numerous times in order for him to send another MO or send a PP payment with no response. After a few weeks of no response to numerous emails, the buyer complains and states that he sent a payment and never received the goods and leaves glowing feedback???? insane.gif

Sure the buyer sent the "payment." Hmmm I guess the buyer's responsibiilty ends there.................... stooges.gif

Another example which I posted previously:

"A buyer can send a payment, receive the item and still cause havoc, so I base my positive feedback on the whole transaction. I remember a few months back, a guy sent me a paypal payment that paypal charged back since they suspected that the payment was sent from a stolen credit card. If I posted positive feedback right after receiving payment I could have been screwed. I had more leverage since I didn't post positive feedback yet and asked him to send a money order to me. Would he have been as cooperative if I posted positive feedback right away? Who knows, but I doubt it?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Added! news.gif

Here is a few stories that I would like to share with you since you are not aware of some of the stupid things that buyers do.

A friend of mine receives a money order that has already been self endorsed on the back by the buyer himself. 27_laughing.gif My friend (the seller, for the slow ones) emails the buyer numerous times in order for him to send another MO or send a PP payment with no response. After a few weeks of no response to numerous emails, the buyer complains and states that he sent a payment and never received the goods and leaves glowing feedback???? insane.gif

Sure the buyer sent the "payment." Hmmm I guess the buyer's responsibiilty ends there.................... stooges.gif

Another example which I posted previously:

"A buyer can send a payment, receive the item and still cause havoc, so I base my positive feedback on the whole transaction. I remember a few months back, a guy sent me a paypal payment that paypal charged back since they suspected that the payment was sent from a stolen credit card. If I posted positive feedback right after receiving payment I could have been screwed. I had more leverage since I didn't post positive feedback yet and asked him to send a money order to me. Would he have been as cooperative if I posted positive feedback right away? Who knows, but I doubt it?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who in the world could this friend of yours be I have no idea ... blush.giftongue.gif I still have that money order tonofbricks.gif on that buyer. It is Clowns like that guy that forced me to change my feedback policy to one of leaving feedback after the buyer has done so. I have never understood the buyer paranoia of the seller and feedback. Sellers are more often then not ready and willing to leave a buyer feedback if they take the time to let people know hey everything was super.

I hate to say this but if you are only a buyer. Buyer feedback is meaningless so long as you pay. Sellers generally do not discriminate much with buyers unless they have a 0 or less feedback rating then we tend to check. So you can have 25 feedback for your entire eBay history and no seller will really care. So long as you pay us. Sure it looks good to have your feedback record show 500 positive purchases on eBay but do I differentiate between you and the buyer with 25 feedback. Nope, so long as you both are in a bidding war for the goods I am selling you are both great... thumbsup2.gif