• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feedback on Ebay

46 posts in this topic

You can tell which sellers actually leave feedback and the ones that don't.

Speedjunkies

Feedback received: 532

Feedback Left: 598

I'm sure there is worse ratios as far as sellers leaving much more, but this is a good indicator. angel.gif

This topic comes up every few months, and it seems like the "wait on feedback" camp is growing larger... We argued it pretty fiercely the last time with many folks here saying that the buyer's obligation ends with sending a timely payment.

How would you like to deal with a Canadian buyer who always pays with Paypal and charges back the transaction after receiving the books? If you are in the "leave feedback immediately" camp, you have no way to respond to this (since PayPal will always refund money for international transactions). You will be out your money, and you will have left positive feedback on the guy's record to help him do the same to someone else. This is also easy for domestic customers to do if you don't use tracking on every package. They see a package arrive with no tracking and they know they can charge it back...

I time my feedback now based on who I am dealing with. I bought a beat-up copy of ASM 122 from Donut this week and left feedback before I even paid, much less received the book... When folks that I know well buy stuff from me I have no hesitation about leaving feedback right away... Check and money order payments I will leave feedback as soon as the transaction is finished (customer has received goods, and accepted them. No refunds or returns in the offing and no additional contact is needed). But people I don't know, who paid with PayPal, I wait 30 days to leave feedback, even if they leave me a positive, because their role as a buyer isn't finished until I find out if they plan to steal from me...

from now on, no feedback for buyers until they leave glowing feedback for me, the bastids.

I feel the same way.........about sellers. thumbsup2.gif

Here's a funny story (or not). After starting this thread yesterday, I returned home after work to find that two of the people i immediately paid, but have not yet received the books from, left glowing positive feedback for me, and within two minutes of each other. Strange but true.

It's all about karma.

O.K. how about this... You bid,win & purchase a few books from a seller.Lets say 5 items for the sake of this example.Life is good !! Great transaction. Seller has yet to leave feedback. No biggie. You leave + feedback for all 5 items. The seller gives you + feedback for 1!! I guess you can't get more than 1 feedback point per seller/buyer transaction, but hey , don't you feel a little ripped ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

O.K. how about this... You bid,win & purchase a few books from a seller.Lets say 5 items for the sake of this example.Life is good !! Great transaction. Seller has yet to leave feedback. No biggie. You leave + feedback for all 5 items. The seller gives you + feedback for 1!! I guess you can't get more than 1 feedback point per seller/buyer transaction, but hey , don't you feel a little ripped ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah, that wouldn't bother me as much as getting no feedback at all. 1 or 5 positives from the same seller is not going to change your rating. But I can understand if you got POed if it happened to you. However, your five feedbacks to him count as much in his rating as his 1 to you does to yours.

Jumping to conclusions. How do you know that I bumped you down? I rated everyone wayyy back, when I literally lived on here. Like bug says...shut yer piehole! tongue.gif

Can't win your argument without being rude or bullying. I see. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Well, I'm done with you.

p.s. I didn't say you specifically; the term "you guys" doesn't have an 'I' in it.

Just because I dont agree with you guys about ebay feedback doesn't mean you have to lower my board rating. Everyone is entitled to their opinion based on their experiences.

mad.gif893frustrated.gif

Jumping to conclusions. How do you know that I bumped you down? I rated everyone wayyy back, when I literally lived on here. Like bug says...shut yer piehole! tongue.gif

This topic comes up every few months, and it seems like the "wait on feedback" camp is growing larger... We argued it pretty fiercely the last time with many folks here saying that the buyer's obligation ends with sending a timely payment.

How would you like to deal with a Canadian buyer who always pays with Paypal and charges back the transaction after receiving the books? If you are in the "leave feedback immediately" camp, you have no way to respond to this (since PayPal will always refund money for international transactions). You will be out your money, and you will have left positive feedback on the guy's record to help him do the same to someone else. This is also easy for domestic customers to do if you don't use tracking on every package. They see a package arrive with no tracking and they know they can charge it back...

I time my feedback now based on who I am dealing with. I bought a beat-up copy of ASM 122 from Donut this week and left feedback before I even paid, much less received the book... When folks that I know well buy stuff from me I have no hesitation about leaving feedback right away... Check and money order payments I will leave feedback as soon as the transaction is finished (customer has received goods, and accepted them. No refunds or returns in the offing and no additional contact is needed). But people I don't know, who paid with PayPal, I wait 30 days to leave feedback, even if they leave me a positive, because their role as a buyer isn't finished until I find out if they plan to steal from me...

A few more good points that people tend to overlook. Extremely good buyers do deserve instant feedback, but as a seller I am not going to trust anyone unless I have done business with them before. Feedback left instantly for known forum members greggy, Darth, bigman, musicmeta, bruce, etc.

THe Buyers obligation ENDS with payment. period. You guys that are waiting to leave feedback to the buyer until you get feedback are causing the same problem you're person_without_enough_empathying about.

You're abusing feedback just as much as they are! Quit being part of the problem!

I pay promptly, and I expect positive feedback for it. What more can you reasonably aske from me?!!!!

THe Buyers obligation ENDS with payment. period. You guys that are waiting to leave feedback to the buyer until you get feedback are causing the same problem you're person_without_enough_empathying about.

You're abusing feedback just as much as they are! Quit being part of the problem!

I pay promptly, and I expect positive feedback for it. What more can you reasonably aske from me?!!!!

I have never failed to leave positive feedback for a buyer who paid me for goods they received. And I have never left a retaliatory negative.

But sending a PayPal payment and then charging it back after receiving the goods does not count as payment. It counts as theft. International bidders who do this can get away with it every time, since PayPal will never protect the seller. The only mechanism available to me to warn other sellers is the bidder's feedback. PayPal only allows chargebacks in the first 30 days, so I wait thirty days on international PayPal transactions (unless I know the buyer). Good buyers like you still get their feedback, and I don't think waiting a couple weeks for it does any harm.

I think the people who don't leave feedback at all are a bigger problem... One of my old eBay id's had 2600 comments received and 6100 comments given. That's over 3000 times I left feedback for someone and it wasn't returned... frown.gif As greggy says every Tuesday night, "I feel so used!" tongue.gif

I have never failed to leave positive feedback for a buyer who paid me for goods they received. And I have never left a retaliatory negative.

But sending a PayPal payment and then charging it back after receiving the goods does not count as payment. It counts as theft. International bidders who do this can get away with it every time, since PayPal will never protect the seller. The only mechanism available to me to warn other sellers is the bidder's feedback. PayPal only allows chargebacks in the first 30 days, so I wait thirty days on international PayPal transactions (unless I know the buyer). Good buyers like you still get their feedback, and I don't think waiting a couple weeks for it does any harm.

I think the people who don't leave feedback at all are a bigger problem... One of my old eBay id's had 2600 comments received and 6100 comments given. That's over 3000 times I left feedback for someone and it wasn't returned... frown.gif As greggy says every Tuesday night, "I feel so used!" tongue.gif

What happens on Tuesday nights? Or do I not want to know?

Another person that looks at their own little world instead of looking at the big picture with other possibilities that can happen to a seller. If every buyer was as honest as some of the people on this board, we wouldn't have to worry about withholding feedback. Unfortunately not all of our buyers are angels angel.gifangel.gifangel.gif

hey folks,

i've been away for a bit (like 2 months) - and geez - upon returning - about 15000 new messages in the Comics General area.

i do a bit of a weird thing regarding feedback. i closely scrutinize the buyer's feedback. if...

- the buyer has a stellar rating and has NEVER left negs before, then i will leave feedback upon payment.

- the buy has a history of leaving negs, then i will WITHHOLD feedback.

i notice some people only leave negative feedback - and i definitely will not leave them feedback. but what i do - actually - is SNIPE POSITIVES insane.gif for those ebayers who have a history of giving negative feedback. that way, i don't "benefit" from getting feedback from them (I wouldn't anyways since they don't leave positives) but at the same time, at least my record for "feedback given" includes a bunch of positives. meanwhile, i don't put myself at risk of receiving an unwarranted neg for any reason...