• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coloured O/A.. Woudl you buy it?

26 posts in this topic

Not that one. The coloring job is horrendous. I have seen some colored pages that weren't so bad though... Burkey had a Daredevil page by Frank Miller and colored by Steve Oliffe that looked quite good.

I agree. As you know, I really want one nice example of a Zeck Secret Wars page for my collection but it definitely won't be that one.

If the page was coloured well and was a nice prime example of an artist's work I would consider it but it would obviously have to be at a deeply discounted price.

The Black and White constract is the very appeal of OA to me. So, generally no, I wouldn't buy it.

But the other thing I love about OA, is that no matter the condition, it is the only one of its kind. So, for the right page, it would only be a little distraction.

Yea, I'd buy the right page. There was a John Bryne 3/4 splash page of Superman on e-bay, about a year and a half ago, that just had Superman colored that i thought was great. But i forgot to place a snipe and missed the auction.

So You find a Nice OA page but it has been coloured!

Do You still buy it?

If you're buying for aesthetics and for your own enjoyment, sure. Just look at that Cloak & Dagger spread above - anyone who thinks that would look better in black and white is simply :screwy:. I may be :insane:, but if it actually looked better without the color, wouldn't they have published it that way? (shrug) Call me crazy... meh

Now, would I advocate spending as much for a colored piece as a non-colored one? Of course not - the market has decreed that the addition of color after the fact devalues the purity and collectibility of the piece (an argument which I can appreciate, if not agree with). But, most people just don't seem to like the color, period, which I find bizarre given that it's how the art was meant to be seen by the reader and also given the inherent aesthetic superiority of color artwork (the artist can express more, it evokes more feeling, it's closer to real-life...) If you disagree with me, go to any art museum and tell me where all the B&W pen & ink drawings are. Right. I have a feeling that if the comic art production process had involved coloring the original pen & ink originals directly (meaning most/all of the originals would have been colorized), people would be devaluing those "incomplete" pen & ink pages without color. But, I digress... :juggle:

I heard that one well-known collector recently bought a well-known Buscema cover that had been colored and was looking to have the color removed professionally! :doh: Isn't that taking this Oliffe-hatred a little too far??? :sumo:

Yes, tis I, Chuck C. that is listing the Secret Wars splash. Since I had a few inquiries from fellow collectors over the last year about obtaining a Secret Wars page, I thought I'd offer one up out of my famous "Zeck" collection. I didn't realize it would start such a discussion.

I too wish someone hadn't colored it, but that was something that people did back in the 80's. When the art was $15/page people didn't think about the impact on value too much. Given that decent interior pages have typically been selling for $500+, I thought the opening bid was was relatively fair and adjusted for the coloring. I guess I'll let the bidders decide.

For those that are interested in the availability of Zeck Secret Wars art, here's a run down of what's complete and what's broken up:

#1 - Interior complete; cover (large size) in a separate collection

#2 - Interior and cover complete

#3 - Interior complete; cover in a separate collection

#6 - Interior mostly complete; Layton cover & Zeck rejected cover in separate collections

#7 - Interior complete; Layton cover & Zeck rejected covers in separate collections

#8 - Interior broken up; cover in a separate collection

#9 - Interior broken up; cover for sale by dealer

#10 - Interior and cover complete

#11 - Interior broken up; cover for sale by dealer

#12 - Interior broken up; cover in a separate collection

So, as you can see from the list, issue #6 is the earliest issue for which loose pages currently exist. It also explains why you don't see too many pages of Secret Wars art floating around.

I saw the Chevy Chase, MD location and figured it was more than likely you. I came to an OA gathering you had a little over a year ago at your place. It was a blast! My buddy Jeff J. brought me along. Thanks again! (thumbs u

You didn't have the SW #10 cover at your house then, did you? It's one of my grail pieces (not that I'll ever be able to afford it ).

Albert Moy had a Starlin splash at San Diego that had the color removed. It turned out very well. I didn't even recognize it. You couldn't even tell it had been colored at one point. I guess there's hope if people want to remove the color from pages.

Yes, tis I, Chuck C. that is listing the Secret Wars splash. Since I had a few inquiries from fellow collectors over the last year about obtaining a Secret Wars page, I thought I'd offer one up out of my famous "Zeck" collection. I didn't realize it would start such a discussion.

I too wish someone hadn't colored it, but that was something that people did back in the 80's. When the art was $15/page people didn't think about the impact on value too much. Given that decent interior pages have typically been selling for $500+, I thought the opening bid was was relatively fair and adjusted for the coloring. I guess I'll let the bidders decide.

For those that are interested in the availability of Zeck Secret Wars art, here's a run down of what's complete and what's broken up:

#1 - Interior complete; cover (large size) in a separate collection

#2 - Interior and cover complete

#3 - Interior complete; cover in a separate collection

#6 - Interior mostly complete; Layton cover & Zeck rejected cover in separate collections

#7 - Interior complete; Layton cover & Zeck rejected covers in separate collections

#8 - Interior broken up; cover in a separate collection

#9 - Interior broken up; cover for sale by dealer

#10 - Interior and cover complete

#11 - Interior broken up; cover for sale by dealer

#12 - Interior broken up; cover in a separate collection

So, as you can see from the list, issue #6 is the earliest issue for which loose pages currently exist. It also explains why you don't see too many pages of Secret Wars art floating around.

Nice Collection you got there.

Are many of the pages stats?

I have a page from issue 9 That has some stat on it and I am surious how many other pages had stats?

We live in a world of color.

The majority of vintage American comic-book art is the by-product of the printing process that called for pen & ink (b&w) original art- with color being added to prints further along the production line.

As purists, most of us prefer to see the artwork untouched/unaltered (as it was originally created).

The problem with the page you highlight is that the (later) addition of color has been performed by clumsy, amateur hands.

Had the work been competently executed, we could forgive the alterations perhaps.

Over here in the UK, many of my favourite artists produced full color (painted) originals. Printing processes over here could reproduce directly from color artworks.

Usually the same artist would be the 'complete package' (penciler, inker and painter).

Here's an example of a John M Burns painted original:

6gd8t52.jpg

Try to imagine how the art would look as a pen & ink (b&w) original.

It wouldn't look nowhere as nice, eh?

Just to clarify... I don't own all the Secret Wars art I listed (I wish). That's just a status of how the pages are distributed.

As far as the stat question... Yes, it is common for Secret Wars pages to have stats on them. Shooter took an active role in having the artwork edited. He wanted to make sure his vision came through. Part of that vision is that the figures should look small insisted that the figures look small in this large world. That was not Zeck's natural drawing style so many times they statted images and reduced them. Additionally, sometimes the dialogue would require extra space so they would reduce the images. In all, I would estimate that 1/3 to 1/2 of the pages had some type of major correction on them.

Some other interesting things to note:

- In issue #1, Kitty Pryde was originally supposed to have made it to the planet. She appeared on the original promo poster for the cover to #1 and some of the interior pages. They had to edit her out when they decided to leave her on earth. Thankfully, they didn't make the edits directly on the cover art to #1.

- Shooter didn't like the way Zeck was drawing the Wasp's face so he had John Romita Sr. go back and edit a lot of those faces.

- Although John Beatty was credited as the inker for the series, a lot of other inkers chipped in to help on a few of the later issues. You'll notice pages inked by Art Nichols, Zeck, Jack Abel, Mike Esposito, Art Adams, and others. It's fun to try and spot who inked different pages.

- There are a handful of unpublished pencil pages out there. Sometimes Zeck would completely redraw a page rather than having it edited later. Those are really neat to see.

Any other Secret Wars art questions?