• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date Stamps and Book Value

6 posts in this topic

I just recently acquired a Spidey # 3 in 6.5 F+ slabbed, only to discover that the book has a date stamp on the back cover (it's noted in the CGC description). It's small, but it's there nonetheless. This fact was not detailed in the item description. Maybe it's my fault for not asking, but if it was me, I would have stated it. Anyway, while trying to decide how angry I should be about this...(I want to keep the book, the seller tried to flip it and ended up selling it to me for $200 less than he bought it) my question is this. How would the book value be impacted by the existence of the stamp on the book? Is it substantial, or minimal? Still learning on the job...Thanks.

At the 6.5 level it should have no effect on price. It may turn off a few buyers but for the vast majority it should be no problem.

I would also agree - and it's on the back cover as well. I'm of the opinion that minor unobtrusive date stamps should not impact books up to 9.4 - but there are collectors out there who would disagree.

If you got it way below market value (and I assume you did because the seller lost $200 on a flip) then keep it and be happy.

I use to freak out about date stamps years ago (in the 80s), but back then higher grade 60s Marvels were fairly plentiful and I could be picky.

He should have mentioned it in the auction though... gossip.gif