• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montreal Comic Con Sept. 15-16, 2007

76 posts in this topic

I had trouble with DODO on EBay too, but I must say that Wes was gracious and extremely helpful at the booth. Very talkative, eager to toss box after box up for perusal, friendly, and very patient.

Maybe he's like got a Dr Jekyl (live) and Mr Hyde (EBay) personality disorder?

So many buyers of vintage material are clueless when it comes to grading and are therefore prime suckers for the "gross mark-up & discount tactic". Several of my customers dropped by my table with vintage ASMs, THORs, JIMs, etc... they were excited to show me because of the "awesome deals" they were given by several dealers, who will remain nameless (no name dropping - bad karma). Upon viewing the books I politely asked if they paid sticker price (which were GROSSLY marked-up (ie)ASM #28 in 2.0-2.5 priced at $260CDN!!!!!! - guides for $162USD in 4.0), and they said:"No, I got 40-50% of when I bought a bunch!". I was like:"Err, um, nice books, but um, what grade do you think they are, because um, er, I have nicer copies for less..."

In my market report this year, I address this very specific point. I advise collectors whenever I meet them and they are entering the hobby, please do not be deceived by 50% off signs and the flashing of "great deals" -- they are rarely what they appear. You are better off, in my mind, dealing with a dealer who gives 25 or 30% off strictly graded books than being sucked into the 50% off signs. These are present at every con and are built in to play to the average customer who just assumes 50% off means a great deal automatically. There are some dealers who give excellent 50% off deals -- but they are far more rare than the scheisters who are constantly trying to deceive.

seriously my budget was 200 $ at the montreal con

but i only bought for 50 $ because i think the price was ridiculus , can you tell me when the last time you paid full price guide for a book ???????

comme on i saw some captain america 100 raw like max 5.0 - 6.0 for 180 $ JOKE i can get this for less than 60 $ on ebay

hulk 102 raw 7.0 -7.5 max for 175 $ heyyy body i paid less than 150 $ for my cgc 8.0 hulk 102

i was disapoint of the montreal con as a buyer SELLER ARE DREAMING

I find that you can get better deals on CGC books at Cons like this, than you can raw. That's the first thing I look for - CGC BA books on my want list, then I get the price, and often it's less than on EBay, sometimes significantly so.

But raw books are usually priced at crack addict levels. I looked through almost every comic box there and only found two books that didn't give me a nosebleed.

Wes really killed me - he had a nice copy of Marvel Premiere 16 (a book I've been looking for), probably 9.2, priced at $40 :o:o So then I find another one, perfectly centered probably 9.2-9.4 - $50. :o:o

seriously my budget was 200 $ at the montreal con

but i only bought for 50 $ because i think the price was ridiculus , can you tell me when the last time you paid full price guide for a book ???????

comme on i saw some captain america 100 raw like max 5.0 - 6.0 for 180 $ JOKE i can get this for less than 60 $ on ebay

hulk 102 raw 7.0 -7.5 max for 175 $ heyyy body i paid less than 150 $ for my cgc 8.0 hulk 102

i was disapoint of the montreal con as a buyer SELLER ARE DREAMING

You cannot always get these things cheaper on Ebay, but you often can, but the advantage of buying live (if priced and graded well) is that you have it in your hands without any fear of damage, loss, deception, etc... that can occur through mail order Ebay buying, and there is no wait plus you get to inspect it on the spot. I for one am always willing to pay more (once again assuming the price and grading aren't way off the mark) live than on Ebay.

I find that you can get better deals on CGC books at Cons like this, than you can raw. That's the first thing I look for - CGC BA books on my want list, then I get the price, and often it's less than on EBay, sometimes significantly so.

But raw books are usually priced at crack addict levels. I looked through almost every comic box there and only found two books that didn't give me a nosebleed.

Wes really killed me - he had a nice copy of Marvel Premiere 16 (a book I've been looking for), probably 9.2, priced at $40 :o:o So then I find another one, perfectly centered probably 9.2-9.4 - $50. :o:o

OK, I'm not following hm Did you buy the 1st one and then find the other elsehwere or in his bins, or did you think they were both too expensive or inexpensive? Just curious...

OK, I'm not following hm Did you buy the 1st one and then find the other elsehwere or in his bins, or did you think they were both too expensive or inexpensive? Just curious...

$40-$50 for a 9.0-9.2 Marvel Premiere 16? :tonofbricks:

I just want one because it's one of my older childhood faves, but I'm not stupid either. I've seen CGC copies (pre-75 grading fees $$$) go for around that amount, and no way either one of those was a CGC 9.4.

$40-$50 for a 9.0-9.2 Marvel Premiere 16? :tonofbricks:

I just want one because it's one of my older childhood faves, but I'm not stupid either. I've seen CGC copies (pre-75 grading fees $$$) go for around that amount, and no way either one of those was a CGC 9.4.

Now I'm really confused because you said 9.2 AND a 9.2-9.4 in the previous post... (shrug)

I hear ya though. However, I don't see them in high grade often locally.

Now I'm really confused because you said 9.2 AND a 9.2-9.4 in the previous post... (shrug)

I don't class a raw 9.2-9.4 tweener as a firm CGC 9.4, no way no how. Who would? :screwy:

Like was mentioned in another thread, there was a nice Iron Man 55, BUT with a rip in the cover - who would pay CGC prices for that? And that's not even counting the pre-'75 grading fees and S&H.

I don't class a raw 9.2-9.4 tweener as a firm CGC 9.4, no way no how. Who would? :screwy:

Like was mentioned in another thread, there was a nice Iron Man 55, BUT with a rip in the cover - who would pay CGC prices for that? And that's not even counting the pre-'75 grading fees and S&H.

I essentially gave up interest and walked away once I noticed the rip...

I'm blown away that the board's biggest mystery man goes to a show, and even goes as far as proposing to meet up with fellow boardies, and still nobody has seen JC.

Well if we had been given more than 1/2 hour notice we could have loaded up the VW microbus with 7 long haired friends of Jesus and met him there.

My wife would have loved a road trip to Montreal.

A little clarification: someone informed the promoter/organizer that I was ripping the con. I was definitely upset over certain things, promoter's fault or not, but I would never willingly slander him and the event. My apologies if that is how it came across here and/or elsewhere.

Luckily the promoter called me and we discussed it. I would have done so myself but the e-mails I have been sending the last 2 days have bounced back and I didn't have a phone # (although I believe it is hidden away somewhere on the website) to reach him at. A little laziness on my part there...

The event does lack a certain degree of promotional savvy, but I urge vendors and buyers alike to continue supporting it. I will continue to do so, but at a smaller scale until attendance and/or inventory dictates otherwise.

My apologies to the promoter and his staff if I gave off the wrong message.

Happy collecting and reading!

Well if we had been given more than 1/2 hour notice we could have loaded up the VW microbus with 7 long haired friends of Jesus and met him there.

I literally had no idea there was a Con in Montreal last weekend, and it was just coincidence I clicked on this area while sitting in the Sofitel surfing the Web. (shrug)

A little clarification: someone informed the promoter/organizer that I was ripping the con. I was definitely upset over certain things, promoter's fault or not, but I would never willingly slander him and the event. My apologies if that is how it came across here and/or elsewhere.

Luckily the promoter called me and we discussed it. I would have done so myself but the e-mails I have been sending the last 2 days have bounced back and I didn't have a phone # (although I believe it is hidden away somewhere on the website) to reach him at. A little laziness on my part there...

The event does lack a certain degree of promotional savvy, but I urge vendors and buyers alike to continue supporting it. I will continue to do so, but at a smaller scale until attendance and/or inventory dictates otherwise.

My apologies to the promoter and his staff if I gave off the wrong message.

Happy collecting and reading!

I spoke with Oscar at the show and told him you had done a good job promoting the con on the boards. Mike

I literally had no idea there was a Con in Montreal last weekend, and it was just coincidence I clicked on this area while sitting in the Sofitel surfing the Web. (shrug)

How was the show in Ottawa on Sunday? I was hoping Guy Leger would be at the Montreal show as I've heard he often has nice books. Someone told me he skipped because of the Ottawa show.

Mike

I had been looking at something else in this forum Friday when I reaized the show was this weekend, couldn't go due to commitments but thought it would have been a usable excuse for a family road trip.

Mr Pontoon would have bailed out anyway. :baiting:

How was the show in Ottawa on Sunday?

What show?

The next Con I have marked down is for Oct 21, and I was in Montreal all weekend.

The show in Vancouver, I assume? You can't be referring to traveling all the way Boston.

Consider yourself lucky you missed GACollectibles and his long-haired friends. They make those dateless, breadstick-armed nerds look like good company.

I would have loved to have gone, Montreal is one of my favorite cities and the missus and I had even discussed a fall trip up, but the timing was bad.