• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 X-Men #120

47 posts in this topic

One tip, don't sell it for $510. tonofbricks.gif

The CGC 9.8 market is hotter than back then, and you should be able to beat that mark in an open auction. X-Men 120 is one of the books that is hardest to find in 9.8, and more and more collectors are realizing this.

..its odd how some heavily collected and speculated (multiples bought) Bronze/Modern titles still remain HTF... even with high CGC submission totals.

Several X-men are difficult in 9.8 and you'd think they wouldn't be. Even 140 is tough. Black cover I know, but still a fairly modern book with plenty of copies???

..its odd how some heavily collected and speculated (multiples bought) Bronze/Modern titles still remain HTF... even with high CGC submission totals

What I've found if you look over the sub rates and find some Bronze/Moderns that are tough in HG, turn the book over and check out the back cover. Many of the books have a black or white front, along with a jet-black back cover.

Those are far tougher to find in 9.6-9.8 than the surrounding issues with a white back cover/ad edges.

I know... even so... wouldn't you think that there would be FAR more around in 9.6/9.8 when you look at all the variables?... Modern, Popular Title/Heavily Speculated, Collecting/Handling/Storage more mature at this point, Far older black cover books exist in 9.8 in higher numbers (SME 15, etc.)... etc.

If you, I (anyone really) were oblivious of the current facts (scarcity and Census data) of some of these Modern books... you'd STILL never consider they'd be HTF in HG at all.

I can so envision you making a rather scathing post to anyone suggesting a mega-popular, modern title/key was not available in HG (even 9.8) and hoarded out the proverbial "wazoo".

27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

Do you think these books exist (in 9.6/9.8) in droves out there like you feel bronze keys do with similar characteristics?... or is this a legitimate scarcity issue that won't be proven false over time in your view? It sure would be hard to accept that possibility considering your views on even older books with similar/worse set of variables.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm still amazed that DD 168 only has (1) 9.8 regardless of the "cover overhang".

and some of these later spidey, Gi Joe, etc. too? It should be interesting to see where the census will be in a year or two.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm going to chime in here.....

There are probably plenty of HG copies in collections. You don't see them as often as say Hulk #181 smirk.gif because there is no incentive (again) to sell and slab. With the keys at least, you can argue that some come out of collections more frequently due their higher visibilty as a "collectible". With non-keys this isn't the case and I believe collectors aren't inclined to spend the slabbing fees on comics that may not get extreme CGC HG annotations; making them difficult to unload if the need arises. Might as well sell ungraded then.......

Jim

I know... even so... wouldn't you think that there would be FAR more around in 9.6/9.8 when you look at all the variables?... Modern, Popular Title/Heavily Speculated, Collecting/Handling/Storage more mature at this point, Far older black cover books exist in 9.8 in higher numbers (SME 15, etc.)... etc

Sure, but do they also have a black back cover? That's one of the determinants, at least when I've seen late-Bronze issues that buck the census trend for no good reason.

Of course a good point Jim... but some are keys to varying extents (108,109 120/121, etc.) and from a heavily collected/respected series as well. I think by now some of these issues are clear to be decent moneymakers in 9.6 and much greater in 9.8.. especially if one has multiples to choose from.

I have to take another look at the submission numbers... maybe they are lower than i expect.

Simply put.. I expected several of these issues to be more available by now in 9.8.

Simply put.. I expected several of these issues to be more available by now in 9.8.

And they might be, if CGC graded an X-Men 120 using the same criteria as older black-cover books like Marvel Spotlight 5 or MSE 15. And they most certainly do not.

If you, I (anyone really) were oblivious of the current facts (scarcity and Census data) of some of these Modern books... you'd STILL never consider they'd be HTF in HG at all.

Consider this daniel-san, is it hard to find in HG, or is it hard to find in uber HG the 9.6 and above range??????

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

I know... even so... wouldn't you think that there would be FAR more around in 9.6/9.8 when you look at all the variables?... Modern, Popular Title/Heavily Speculated, Collecting/Handling/Storage more mature at this point, Far older black cover books exist in 9.8 in higher numbers (SME 15, etc.)... etc

Sure, but do they also have a black back cover? That's one of the determinants, at least when I've seen late-Bronze issues that buck the census trend for no good reason.

No.. can't say that I recall many.

However, not all the modern titles we're talking about have black/dark color on both sides either. So, it's still in many cases...1 black/dark color cover, not both. We know a comic with 1 side as such can survive better than both.

In the X-men 120 case... the front is pretty dark, but not the back.

...and X-men 121... neither side of the book is dark/black? (or 108)

That's very odd... there should be many 9.8's by now??

I would agree that a book that has black/dark color on both sides has a uphill battle at remaining pristine though. I'm not sure this is the case on most late bronze/moderns in question. You have the whole run. IF you have time, see how many/which ones have a black/dark color back cover as well as those that have both. Maybe we can see a trend?

BTW... not an assignment to waste your time... genuine interest in determining a possible trend/explanation.

Consider this daniel-san, is it hard to find in HG, or is it hard to find in uber HG the 9.6 and above range??????

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

Hey David,

I thought it was understood (since I mentioned 9.6/9.8 a couple of times)... we were talking 9.6 minimum, 9.8 primarily.

Of course a good point Jim... but some are keys to varying extents (108,109 120/121, etc.) and from a heavily collected/respected series as well. I think by now some of these issues are clear to be decent moneymakers in 9.6 and much greater in 9.8.. especially if one has multiples to choose from.

True (though I'd consider them mid-range keys).....but to automatically assume that because you have them you would get them slabbed causes some of the debates on this Forum.

I have the feeling, and it's just a feeling, that the wide majority of comic collectors out there have never used CGC's service and aren't likely to in the near future. Be it the cost of slabbing, not selling, content and confident in knowing what they have, or just indifference, I'd bet that the number of individual CGC "customers" is a fraction of the overall Bronze (and Silver for that matter) collectors.

Don't know this for a fact though. It'd be nice if CGC released that info but I understand why they wouldn't.

Jim

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

Hey David,

I thought it was understood (since I mentioned 9.6/9.8 a couple of times)... we were talking 9.6 minimum, 9.8 primarily.

Okay smile.gif sometimes I get lost in non-Batman posts . . .

BTW - you didn't even pick up on the Mr. Miyagi reference? 893frustrated.gif

DAM

True (though I'd consider them mid-range keys).....but to automatically assume that because you have them you would get them slabbed causes some of the debates on this Forum.

I have the feeling, and it's just a feeling, that the wide majority of comic collectors out there have never used CGC's service and aren't likely to in the near future. Be it the cost of slabbing, not selling, content and confident in knowing what they have, or just indifference, I'd bet that the number of individual CGC "customers" is a fraction of the overall Bronze (and Silver for that matter) collectors.

Don't know this for a fact though. It'd be nice if CGC released that info but I understand why they wouldn't.

Jim

I was just trying to point out that whatever "degree of key" anyone chooses to assign to the books we're discussing... they are in demand in 9.6/9.8, supply is VERY low, sales prices indicate an upside (as well as a potential killing in 9.8).

If you agree this is true, you'd expect a bigger response from those that do know about CGC, have the books, and want to make a buck... that's all.

Aside from that, I'm curious if Vince (and others) believe this to be a "true scarcity" issue in 9.6/9.8 for reasons mentioned... or possibly a "false positive" at this juncture that is due to remedy itself as time passes and hoards are brought to market.

Keep in mind, I want to own several in 9.8 (including 108, 109, 112, 120, 121, 140) and I'd like to explore the possible future supply to develop an intelligent buying strategy. It would suck to buy 120 in 9.8 for $500 and have (20) more show up in the next year. History thus far does not lead me to believe this, but my gut and other similar arguments discussed on the forums gives me pause... believe it or not.

893whatthe.gif