• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 X-Men #120

47 posts in this topic

Aside from that, I'm curious if Vince (and others) believe this to be a "true scarcity" issue in 9.6/9.8 for reasons mentioned... or possibly a "false positive" at this juncture that is due to remedy itself as time passes and hoards are brought to market.

You don't want to know what I think. grin.gif

Oh well, since you asked...

The current supply of CGC 9.8 Bronze and Modern comics is inherent on three main factors:

1) Many of these books are simply not worth the effort if they come back 9.2/9.4, and you're better off selling raw with big scans. This is coupled with CGC not releasing their grading criteria (we've already proved they don't stick to OS) further clouding the subs.

2) Many collectors aren't selling, so they aren't submitting.

3) In coins and cards, some companies have been found to limit the number of subs that hit the ultra-high grades, and I'd think it simplistic if CGC doesn't as well, at least on some level. It's smart business, it maintains the low market supply required for liquidity and it creates threads like this.

Yes, I do. Even if i disagree... I ilke to consider other opinions.

I pretty much knew your overall position in general terms. I've been involved in most of the threads you've voiced them.

tonofbricks.gif

I guess my question(s) are more specific this time.

Concerning Late Bronze/Early Modern... do you feel the "keys/semi-keys, etc." that we've been discussing (108, 109, 120, 121, 140 etc.) have been in low supply to date (despite obvious demand and a clear upside to submitting/selling 9.6/9.8's) will continue to be HTF going forward or do you expect a major reversal in 9.6/9.8 supply? I would imagine there should be plenty of 9.6/9.8 candidates worth taking a shot at considering the values of the books... particularly in 9.8.

In essesnce, do you feel current "scarcity" is a mirage... or will it prove to be real going forward?

You mentioned the Black back cover possibility but it does not apply to 108, 120, 121.. although the front of 120 is somewhat dark. Can you give a better accounting of what issues have them and you feel may be potential victims? I'd do it myself if I had most of the run.

I have the feeling, and it's just a feeling, that the wide majority of comic collectors out there have never used CGC's service and aren't likely to in the near future. Be it the cost of slabbing, not selling, content and confident in knowing what they have, or just indifference, I'd bet that the number of individual CGC "customers" is a fraction of the overall Bronze (and Silver for that matter) collectors.

I absolutely agree with this. There's no strong reason for most people to slab a book unless they plan to sell it, considering the expense and hassle of dealing with CGC. Keeping it in a Mylar sleeve provides plenty of protection. Getting a high grade book "CGC'd" is just a way to increase the market value of a book, and if you aren't selling, no reason to waste money doing this right now when you can do it later if you want.

So I agree that ultra high grade copies of Bronze books will trickle in over the next few years and the 9.8s will seem less rare as time goes on.

You WILL make a killing with that book on EBay. Nice centering, super corners, nice color, etc. and that X-Men120 is notorious for its horrid centering and "white border beauty" copies in 9.6-9.8.

From what I can see in the scan........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If the staples are perfect , and there is no " wedge " at all across the top....

It might get a QP 9.9

Maybe....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I ain't bitter. The fact is you are a gypsy, tramp, & thief for having fleeced the CGC label buying sheep. $4500 for 9.8 ASM 101? Gimme a break. You should give back some money to the person who bought that. Shame on you. 893naughty-thumb.gif
sorry.gif