• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams HC with "new" art?????

9 posts in this topic

i saw this post by Larsen...what do u guys think?

link: http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=005617

Okay--I'll admit--I'm a Neal Adams fan and I was REALLY looking forward to this book even at $50 a throw. It was to reprint a lot of old Adams' Batman stories that I've never read (or even seen) and when I saw it in my local funnybook store I happily snapped it up. But once I got it home and removed the shrink-wrap--I've gotta say--I was pissed off!

Why? Because Neal REDREW a number of faces and panels throughout the book! The stories were recolored and all tweaked out in Photoshop--that's annoying--but I'll reluctantly put up with it but NOT the redrawn stuff! What is this [!@#%^&^]?

I'm not going to go on and say old Neal is better than new Neal--fans always think that EVERYBODY'S "old stuff was better" --my point is that--new Neal DOESN'T DRAW LIKE old Neal and those new faces are drawn in a vastly different style and the pages simply don't have a consistent style any more.

That, and I wanted to SEE those stories as they WERE. This is worse than the remastered Star Wars stuff--it's as if there were scenes removed from the old Star Wars movies and the replaced scenes were played by the actors who had ages 25 years--yeah, yeah--same guys--same dialogue--but why does Han Solo get older and younger again throughout the story? I don't CARE if Harrison Ford is a better actor now--it looks like [!@#%^&^]!

If Adams wants to draw more Batman stuff--great! I'm all for it--I'd love to see it--but I don't want to see a kinky-haired Superman drawn with a marker sitting next to a panel where he has smooth hair and is inked with a far thinner and more expressive inking tool. I don't want to see characters throughout switching from one look to another between panels--why is there a new marker-inked Batman face Adams' on an old Batman drawing? Does this look better--to ANYBODY?

I felt burned.

And--NOWHERE in any of this is there any written indication that this was going on! No blurb on the back cover--no mention from Neal in the intro--nothing.

So--

I STILL don't get to see those stories as they were drawn! What a pisser.

It was bad enough that Neal completely re-inked a Deadman story in that collected volume--with its new color and inks it stood out like a sore thumb in that volume--but THIS is something else! At least in that case--the finished piece was a whole--it was out of place in the book, yes, but consistent in the context of that one story. In THIS case--it's just a jumbled mess!

So Neal didn't think it was as good as it could have been--so what? Move on, man! Do a good NEW story that shows that you're a better artist--don't make your old work look like two different jigsaw puzzles sewn together.

It just doesn't work.

Please, Neal--BACK OFF and let the other volumes in this series stand as originally drawn.

The back issue prices for these comics is even MORE ridiculous than the $50 this book cost!

God damn it!

tonofbricks.gif

confused.gif

I wanted to see the originals too... my god, why would he even try and improve anything in the first place? He's not Al Milgrom, he's a comic legend of art... and to do so with an obviously different technique that breaks the flow... poor decision.

I haven't opened mine yet to see how much it bothers me, but I don't like the idea at all.

me i never complain...i just state facts and put informative and valuable info on these boards. angel.gif

This is true G, thanks!

I'm a big Adams fan myself, but the fine/detailed inking on his early (pre-'73) stuff is much, much better than his later DC covers, the Continuity stuff, and all the sketches that his boy sells on ebay these days. The Giordano and Palmer inks on top of Adams pencils are sweet, sweet stuff...sounds like they've been destroyed in this effort.

If you want to see what Neal's up to these days, click here for a video clip of who knows what? Speaking of the truly bizarro, did that "Two Guys in a Bar" book ever get done/published?

I guess I'm going to be the dissenter on this: I had no problem with the redraws and they really didn't do anything to lessen my enjoyment of the book in the least. I hadn't read most of these stories before (except a few brave and the bold) and I thoroughly enjoyed the volume. It's awesome. The redrawn parts do break the flow... but I don't care all that much... for me, it didn't really take anything away from the overall product.

bump so that I can say I hadn't actually read this thread before I bumped it and called it cool stuff. WTF is up with redrawing any of that classic stuff from the 70s? That's decidedly not cool.

Custom Title nomination for rob_react:

"Promiscuous Bumper" 893applaud-thumb.gif

Slow day at work today, eh? wink.gifcool.gifgrin.gif