• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago comic con: Any OA reports

33 posts in this topic

I saw a lot more dealers with art on display than I have ever seen before.

--Steve

This statement, more than any other, is an indication of the growth of OA. I remember when CGC was first introduced. First, a dealer or two had a few books CGC'd, and now every dealer has CGC'd books - some more than others.

It used to be that one or two dealers would specialize in OA...then a few comic dealers would have a few pages...and soon, I bet, almost every dealer will be selling OA as well.

Why? One simple reason: Money.

And the more that dealers deal in it, the more they'll see the appeal -- no grading issues, restoration, condition, etc...either the buyer wants the page or they don't.

Should be interesting to see...

I was very pleased to find (and buy) 13 complete War, Romance, & Horror stories published by Standard in the 1950s, at what seemed a very reasonable price. Some pretty nice material by Andru/Esposito, Sultan, Sekowski and others. I was thrilled.

--Steve

This statement, more than any other, is an indication of the growth of OA. I remember when CGC was first introduced. First, a dealer or two had a few books CGC'd, and now every dealer has CGC'd books - some more than others.

It used to be that one or two dealers would specialize in OA...then a few comic dealers would have a few pages...and soon, I bet, almost every dealer will be selling OA as well.

And the more that dealers deal in it, the more they'll see the appeal -- no grading issues, restoration, condition, etc...either the buyer wants the page or they don't.

David, you are dead on, it's increasing -- I'd say 75% or more of the dealers had at least a few pages of art at their booth, if not a BUNCH.

And certainly the reason is money, and it also reflects the increasing interest in OA. More dealers are selling it because more people want it. So get ready, there will be more and more competition for nice pages as more collectors enter the OA market

:tonofbricks:

I came across a young, raw art talent that just blew my mind. She has so much potential it's mindboggling. I had to get some OA from her, and she was gracious enough to give me this piece

EllenOA.jpg

Hey Angelo, you gotta post that in my Con report..... (thumbs u

--Steve

David, you are dead on, it's increasing -- I'd say 75% or more of the dealers had at least a few pages of art at their booth, if not a BUNCH.

And certainly the reason is money, and it also reflects the increasing interest in OA. More dealers are selling it because more people want it. So get ready, there will be more and more competition for nice pages as more collectors enter the OA market

:tonofbricks:

Wow...this thread is making me nostalgic...for a YEAR ago...

Judging from the other boards (golden age and general) sounds like Chicago had a great con this weekend. Anyone with any OA reports that they would like to share?

I got a great James Jean DC novel (Last Sons) cover :banana: from Albert Moy, who gave me a great deal (worship) and it came with the print. (For those who do not know, D.C. only lets him make 1 print and it is signed.)

Picked up the final page to Rich Koslowski's newest graphic novel; The List (thumbs u

Now I have to sell my James Jean Green Arrow #50 cover :( Anyone who want to make an offer, it's on my CAF, just pm me with an offer, before it gets offered to Albert or goes on Ebay.......

"I got a great James Jean DC novel (Last Sons) cover from Albert Moy, who gave me a great deal and it came with the print. (For those who do not know, D.C. only lets him make 1 print and it is signed.)"

That was a killer piece Steve (worship)

that DC "Last Sons" page that Steve had was great, I saw it from across the dinner room and ran right over to get a better look, really a great piece,..

I bought my FIRST EVER piece of OA Saturday at the Chicago con, Curt Swan with Bob Oskner inks, from Superman #287 (1975). bought from Bechara.

Love this piece, and got it for a decent price.

Full page.

th_CurtSwanOApage.jpg

Bottom two panels close up.

th_OApagecloseup.jpg

Page with book the page is from. Superman #287.

th_OriginalArtpagewithbook.jpg

Great stuff Dude!!! and it was nice meeting you :headbang:

thanks MK, it was great meeting you as well, along with so many other new faces at this years forum dinner, I had a great time, and plan to post a mini con report later.

:grin:

thanks guys, I can't tell you how many times/hours I looked at it over this past weekend,.. plan to get more in the future,. and it was great talking to you again Steve, you are always very friendly to me. and a great guy.

and Durden08, it was fun to hang out at the con all day Friday, I really enjoyed talking with you and having lunch. hope to do it all again next year. (thumbs u