• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Website...

21 posts in this topic

He does make some interesting points, such as:

"You know, I've always wondered about these companies that sell such comics. We know they're willing to sell (using this auction as an example) a copy of Vikings #1 for $305 but... would they buy one for that amount?? This past month I queried a half dozen "in-bed" retailers that I had a recent issue for sale. This book had sold on eBay for a couple hundred but if unslabbed was worth cover. My question was simple. How much will YOU pay ME for this book? Answer: no response.

Why no response? Did they know I was the writer of this column and afraid I'd publicly criticize them? No. I used an anonymous e-addy.

Were they too busy slabbing their books for exorbitant profits and didn't have time to answer? Perhaps, though I gave them 14 days to reply.

Or... was it they only sell this schlock - but aren't foolish enough to shell out such prices themselves? This answer, I'll have to lean towards. Folks selling slabbed books (at a bazillion times guide) are not concerned with you - the buyer. They're motivation is making the almighty buck and will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge - if it could be slabbed."

Folks selling slabbed books (at a bazillion times guide) are not concerned with you - the buyer

It's not really fair of him to make this statement. I'm sure that most of these sellers are concerned that they deliver their product well-packed and in a timely manner. Basic customer service. Are they concerned that there are some insufficiently_thoughtful_person-speculators out there bidding up common books to ridiculous levels? Of course not. And they shouldn't have to be. They're not setting the price - the free market is - and if bidders aren't well informed enough it's not the sellers fault.

Besides, it's awfully fun to watch...

devil.gif

Are they concerned that there are some insufficiently_thoughtful_person-speculators out there bidding up common books to ridiculous levels? Of course not. And they shouldn't have to be. They're not setting the price - the free market is - and if bidders aren't well informed enough it's not the sellers fault.

Just remember it's a two-way street and these sellers are the ones sending these Modern POS books in to CGC. Sure the buyers bid it up, but the sellers also make a conscious decision to slab it.

In this case, it's two rather seedy individuals, each looking for his/her piece of the speculation pie. The dealers are praying on the weak-minded, while the weak-minded are vainly trying to reproduce the 1960's price spike with 2003 comics.

You are right that it's a hoot to watch.

Just remember it's a two-way street and these sellers are the ones sending these Modern POS books in to CGC. Sure the buyers bid it up, but the sellers also make a conscious decision to slab it.

Of course. But I doubt we'd see as much slabbing if the market wasn't there. People bid up Beanie Babies to ridiculous levels but I'm sure not going to blame the Beanie Baby dealers.

Of course. But I doubt we'd see as much slabbing if the market wasn't there. People bid up Beanie Babies to ridiculous levels but I'm sure not going to blame the Beanie Baby dealers.

Ummm, the Beanie Baby dealers aren't producing more Beanie Babies. Dealers have a direct control over what, and how many, CGC comics they submit.

Then again, I'm assuming the dealers you mention aren't selling Graded Beanies?

Then again, I'm assuming the dealers you mention aren't selling Graded Beanies?

The BGC - now that's scary...

Dealers have a direct control over what, and how many, CGC comics they submit.

And Beanie Baby dealers had direct control over how many Beanies they listed on eBay. Every dealer has direct control over their inventory - a slabbed comic is a product, just like anything else. My reason for bringing up the analogy is that we all knew the ridiculous Beanie Baby market would crash and that people were paying ridiculous amounts of money for them. But did that stop sellers from selling them? Of course not!

There's obviously a demand for ultra highgrade modern comics. We may laugh at the prices paid, but I highly doubt that those bidders who are determining the prices consider themselves suckers. And if they want to pay ridiculous prices, that's their right. And there's going to be a dealer there to meet that demand. It's not our place to tell a dealer what comics to slab anymore than it is to tell the bidder what price to pay, so I still don't see this as a situation where the dealer is acting seedy. More a situation (like Beanie Babies) where the buyer is acting stupid.

And Beanie Baby dealers had direct control over how many Beanies they listed on eBay. Every dealer has direct control over their inventory - a slabbed comic is a product, just like anything else.

I don't want to get into a fight over this, but there are significant differences. There are tons of retail outlets for beanies, including many large chains. I've seen the ladies rush in when the boxes open. Beanies are also produced in their "final form", require no additional modification, and in both cases, are comparable to a seller offering raw Moderns on EBay.

It takes at least one more level of consideration to offer a CGC'd Modern than listing a Beanie. This value-added step to send the goods to CGC is quite an important one, as you can't simply order books in their CGC form straight from CGC.

Don't worry - I don't see this as a fight - just an interesting discussion. The whole issue isn't black and white. But whether you shrink wrap it, slab it, sell it raw or diced, dealers are going to offer what the public will pay for if it's within their power. And I don't fault them for it.

Getting back to the original link posted above, I think if there's any seediness going on it's more with the recent CGC advertising than with the dealers. Again, the dealers are just offering the product. But when there are adds in Wizard showing that slabbed moderns are selling for x-times more than raw copies, that's really adding the fuel to the fire. Don't get me wrong - I love what CGC has done for the hobby as a whole and I still believe the buyer is primarily to blame for inflated modern prices, but I can't say I'm a big fan of that advertising.

Is this guy on this board, or his he one of those overwrought Ebay board guys?

- D.

Total CGC hater - probably darthweasel. Loser still has my Origin 1 CGC 10.0 scan up on his site despite the email I sent him about needing my persmission to post the scan of my book up first.

He brings up some interesting points then totally stuffs his foot in his mouth with ignorant comments (see his archives in May and July regarding Marvel Price variant vs manufactured collectible variant fiasco - this guy truly desevers a JC heartfelt "100% insufficiently_thoughtful_person" comment IMO)

I see he's raggin on Reynold Jay and Peter Dixon this month... woo hoo

He brings up some interesting points then totally stuffs his foot in his mouth with ignorant comments (see his archives in May and July regarding Marvel Price variant vs manufactured collectible variant fiasco - this guy truly desevers a JC heartfelt "100% insufficiently_thoughtful_person" comment IMO)

Whose comment do you think he posted when he apologized for the variant mess?

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/cgc/4.html

that "manufactured collectible-crapola" in tandem had a certain CI flair to it wink.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Still an ignoramus in my opinion, just taking potshots at sellers doing their thing, puffing up his ego until he is a legend in his own mind. Is he educating anyone? Not really. Does his column serve as a public service? NO. Does it warn us against eBay fraudulent sellers and scams? Has he ever posted an XTCI type scam article? It's just an instrument to promote his own agenda and to entertain a bunch of like minded "" who have nothing beter to do than [!@#%^&^] and moan about the money others are making on CGC books. Does he actually think these guys are rich? If they were then I don't think these sellers would be doing what they do and sell on ebay. If I were rich to the point where I wouldn't have to work, I'd be buying these comics up, kicking back with the family and reading them to my son. He makes his colume so anti-seller, it's ridiculous. You want "fair and balanced"? He should post the bid history for a winning bidder of a "crazy priced CGC auction" and malign and mock all his "ill-fated" buys.

Who are you calling an "oxy-insufficiently_thoughtful_person"? Are you channeling JC? tongue.gif

I am calling an "it" - thatbis - the "term" manufactured collectible an oxy-insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Were it a "who" - aka "person" - I would drop the "oxy-". grin.gif27_laughing.gifgrin.gif