• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rhino's Chicago Con Report -- with lots o' compromising photos!!!!

57 posts in this topic

Disclaimer: I am swamped at work after being out for 4 days and too busy to do email, and yet I am trying to pound this out during lunch. Please forgive the typos. If I left out any names I apologize. I had fun with everyone, and you all know who you are. :headbang:

The Windy City. The City of Big Shoulders. Chicago....it's my kinda town. :banana:

However, the Wizard World Chicago show is in Rosemont, a business oriented section of asphalt-caked suburbia that bears no resemblance whatsoever to Chicago. But I digress!

I look forward to the annual Chicago show if for nothing else than the escapism from the daily grind; comaraderie with my fellow collectors, fans, and CGC Board friends; watch the constant parade of freaks and geeks; and maybe even the chance to make a buck or two sellin' funny books! :grin:

This year my old friend Matt (aka Razor) and I split a booth and would set up through the whole show, Thurs - Sunday. I also agreed to give Conrad Eschenberg a hand setting up and manning his booth Thursday and Friday until his reinforcements could arrive Friday night. So first off, a shout out to Razor for watching our booth while I hung out with Conrad and his art collectors wet dream of a booth for 2 days. Another shout out to Spud of Spuds Comic Emporium for getting us a booth at the last minute. And a final shout out to Conrad for being an amazing historian and hard-core collector of comics (Pre-Hero rules!!! *cough cough*) and original comic art, as well as to his friend Joe Serpico (aka otherworlds33) and Joe's son who are a couple of great guys! (thumbs u

THURSDAY:

Ok, on to the Con. Razor and I got set up and did our thing. We had a single booth space and Razor had some primo Star Wars statues, busts, and maquettes and many Marvel mini-busts. They proved to be EXTREMELY popular over the course of the show. I brought a mixed bag of comics and Razor had some Bronze and Moderns. We got everything set up.

Here's a pic of Razor at our booth:

DSC02358.jpg

Then I helped Conrad set up once he arrived Thursday afternoon. It was MIND-BOGGLING. He had a veritable MUSEUM of OA. I mean, serious blue chips: FRAZETTA, WRIGHTSON, KALUTA, KIRBY, DITKO, ADAMS, ROMITA, BRUNNER, JONES, etc etc etc. I couldn't believe the stuff he kept pulling out. Vintage page after vintage page. Covers, splashes, complete stories, the Frazetta cover to Squa Tront #4, a Frazetta Double Day frontis, stuff that would just blow anybody's mind. I was in Hog Heaven.

Here's Conrad and another collector (sorry, brain freeze on names, you will find I do this a lot) with a recreation of the cover to FF 49 -- a recreation with Kirby pencils, Sinnott inks, and colored by Stan Goldberg. It's amazing to see in person. And below that another pic of Conrad's booth.

DSC02373.jpg

DSC02360.jpg

Preview night was a little slow but that was ok as it gave me some time to make a couple walks around and see dealers, boardies, and friends:

Flying Donut and Dale at Dale Roberts booth:

DSC02364.jpg

Smilin' Bob Storms at his High Grade Comics booth:

DSC02365.jpg

Nik and Brad (Klozd) at Brad's Booth:

DSC02369.jpg

TheWatcher admires his latest acquisition!

DSC02368.jpg

Joe Sarno and Gary (Moondog) at Moondog's booth:

DSC02370.jpg

It ain't a ChicagoCon without a stop by Superworld to see Ted and his crew!

DSC02359.jpg

Natalie, KingOfRulers, and Jim at their booth:

DSC02380.jpg

THURSDAY NIGHT:

After the show Razor and I went to the Ram Microbrewery and Restaurant and met up with Dan (Flying Donut), Brad (klozd_24-7) or whatever the H*&% his name is), Steve (KingOfRulers), Angelo (theWatcher), Alan (PedigreeMan), StageDoorJohnny (can't remember real name!, but he lives like 2 miles from me, which i just learned that night), and a bunch of other folks who were out and about. We drank beer, ate lots of food, shot the breeze, and it was a good start to the show. Brad consumed the largest cheeseburger I have ever seen in my life (the ol' 96-er??) lol which I have photos of on my phone but haven't downloaded them yet. They will be added.....

FRIDAY

Razor crashed at my place over the weekend and we blew down to the convention center. Busy busy busy as things started to pick up a little. Razor was selling busts and statues hand over fist. My comic sales were a bit slow. But I dropped off some books to CGC for grading and spent the day geeking out. I know what you really want is pics of the freaks and geeks. Well, I am not one to disappoint. But you'll have to suffer through more of my narrative first. lol

FRIDAY NIGHT

Razor had some stuff going on, and I met up with TheWatcher, Steve (143ksk), and Ze-Man to buzz down to Frontera Grill for dinner. We met up with Ze-Man's wife Greta and daughter Ellen, and proceeded to have just a wonderful, fun dinner. Ellen is as sweet as they come, and was completely smitten with Angelo. And vice versa. Greta is a great gal and we shared newspaper industry stories while Ellen proceeded to wow us with her artistic prowess. I believe I have an Ellen OA original colored "My Little Pony" that could be on Conrad's wall in a few years.... lol I also enjoyed chatting with 143ksk about books and his interests in Archies and his budding GA collecting. He had picked up some stunning books, and he and Ze-Man both showed off the spoils of their day's collecting. It was a great night of food, fantastic (and potent) margaritas, and geeking out. Don't git much better'n that.

The pics:

Me and Borock at the CGC booth:

DSC02366.jpg

L-R: 143ksk, TheWatcher, Ellen (on Angelo's lap), Ze-Man, and Greta at Frontera Grill Friday Night.

DSC02376.jpg

The Watcher, Ellen, and proud papa Ze-Man

DSC02375.jpg

The Watcher looks on as Ellen signs her OA My Little Pony colorization for him. I expect to see it in your CAF gallery, buddy! lol

DSC02374.jpg

SATURDAY

Ok, ok, here's the moment you've all been waiting for -- THE Freak and Geek show:

Danny (Mutant Keys) and Lord Vader. Never insult the Republic in public, MK!!!

DSC02387.jpg

Slave Girl Leia:

DSC02363.jpg

The Svelte Marvel Family:

DSC02381.jpg

Apocalyps and Lady Death. Apocolypse won the costume show, I heard:

DSC02382.jpg

R2 and Threepio were sold to scrap metal dealers by this bum:

DSC02371.jpg

Don't even THINK of shop-lifting with this guy on security detail.....

DSC02388.jpg

Boba Fett stand guard for a toy booth.

DSC02397.jpg

Superman and Robin nullify the evil threat of HotDogMan:

DSC02372.jpg

Green Hornet and Azrael:

DSC02385.jpg

Magneto and Apocolypse -- sans Lady Death. In fact, I suspect that Magneto may have actually eaten Lady Death.

DSC02384.jpg

Now we're talking.....

DSC02386.jpg

Calling Johnny Drama, Calling Johnny Drama..... :

DSC02391.jpg

Black Canary

DSC02398.jpg

More Star Wars.

DSC02389.jpg

Every Comic Geek's dream: Sword Fight Arena Battle to the Death!!!

DSC02390.jpg

Ah, um.. it's not every day you see a leather outfit like this.

DSC02399.jpg

Keeping the convention safe from crime:

DSC02401.jpg

SATURDAY NIGHT

We packed up the booth and zipped to the forum dinner. Mrs. Rhino met us there (although she had a crazy week, was dead tired and left early -- but I appreciate her making the effort!). It was great to walk in and see books sitting on the mantle like Tec 27, 29, Batman 1, and a host of others. Unfortunately I got so caught up in the dinner I forgot to take pictures!!! doh! It was a lot of fun and it was good to meet so many of the forumites. I was at a table with Foolkiller, Mary Ann, Razor, Conrad, Otherworlds 33, Joe's son, and it was interesting to hear Conrad make predictions on the future of comics and comic art.

Big shout out to Flying Donut for organizing the dinner, and to Ze-Man for eating a bowl of sour cream to benefit the Hero Initiative. There were so many people there: 143ksk, Ciorac, KingOfRulers and his crew, MK, Rdelic, Louise, ArexCrooke, SilverandBronze, CentaurMan, PedigreeMan, and a zillion others. Unfortunately I had to roll a little early as I was dead tired. It was a good time, to be sure, and I look forward to next year. (thumbs u

SUNDAY

The people came with money in their pockets and we had a very busy day at the booth. Got my CGC books back and I was quite happy with them (shout out to Klozd for correctly predicting 5 of the 7 grades!!!), and got a zombie wolvering sketch from Arthur Suydam. Stopped by and chatted with many of the forumites and it seems everybody had a great time, a good show, and much fun was had by all.

Closing shot: Razor gets some great dane lovin' at Casa Rhino:

DSC02395.jpg

SEE YOU ALL NEXT YEAR!! (thumbs u :banana::headbang:

Magneto and Apocolypse -- sans Lady Death. In fact, I suspect that Magneto may have actually eaten Lady Death.

DSC02384.jpg

Magneto takes the cake for the most pathetic costume / physique combo. Ever. Hilariously bad.

Ah, um.. it's not every day you see a leather outfit like this.

DSC02399.jpg

Interesting in a floppy saggy kinda way. Total butter face.

Keeping the convention safe from crime:

DSC02401.jpg

Chris Farley lives as Superman?

Nice report! Thanks!! (thumbs u

StageDoorJohnny is Dennis :makepoint: I should scan and post Ellen's marvelous creation in the OA thread hm

Angelo

doh! Yes, DENNIS. Hey, I'm old. My memory is going! (shrug)

And yeah, I was gonna post my Ellen art later in the week. You can start an Ellen art appreciation thread! lol (thumbs u

Here's Conrad and another collector (sorry, brain freeze on names, you will find I do this a lot) with a recreation of the cover to FF 49 -- a recreation with Kirby pencils, Sinnott inks, and colored by Stan Goldberg. It's amazing to see in person. And below that another pic of Conrad's booth.

DSC02373.jpg

Great report, Rhino!

The collector in the pic is longtime OA collector Richard Martines. A finer gent you will not meet in this hobby. Here is his drool-inducing CAF gallery:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1007

Didn't know that was you Rhino, I was sitting at the CGC booth alot. Is that Donut on the right in the picture, if so he was the one I asked where Paul(silverandbronze) was. lol, had no idea.

Where are the sushi pics? :baiting:

It's Chicago! We ate MEAT!!! Steaks as big as your head....potatoes the size of a football... :makepoint:

Those steaks < Tojo's sushi :whatev: