• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is your Local Comic Shop's Customer Service Performance?

44 posts in this topic

dcbs comics already at my house. Wednesday releases on my doorstep by noon on thursday. heaven

And then people complain when the stores in their hometowns close :cry:

This thread was definately not intended to be an indictment of every LCS in the country....far from it. There are a whole bunch of great stores around (especially in the south) with stellar service, selection, etc. There is a great store here too....Hot Comics & Collectibles in New Hope. They don't have the biggest selection in the twin cities or anything, but the service is always top notch. Other shops could take a lesson from the guys in New Hope.

It just sucks when there are otherwise cool stores that are ruined by poor (or no) service. Annihilus usually hits 4 LCS's every couple of weeks in the area and has many times made decisions not to purchase something because of the service. There have been many times that clerks have not spoken one word to any customers in the store during the entire visit, including checkout.

Some cool stores with great service in the past:

The aforementioned Hot Comics in New Hope, MN

Golden Age Collectibles (Pike's Place Market, Seattle)

Collectibles, Etc. (Lexington, KY)

Moonlite Comics (Frankfort, KY).....this was back in the mid-90's, moonlite

Comic Quest (Evansville, IN)

Page 3's Game Zone (Pikeville, KY)

*edit....almost forgot the great guys at The Source (Falcon Heights, MN)

There are tons of others with great service. It's just too bad that some of the LCS's don't realize just how much potential business they're losing.

s'ok, I forgot to put the little :baiting: graemlin in for Pirate.

The couple of LCS that have been closest to him have closed over the last 3 years (like 2-3 stores) but I don't think they tried real hard on comics or really even knew much about that area.

To be honest, I remember customer service in the pre e-Commerce Internet days...like in the mid 70s/early 80s. Big chain stores thrived with customer service...died by not having it. Now, it's all about the bottom line...and now with the Internet...a warm body is all you need (and that's optional...in almost all cases they have an Internet store).

Take for example this weekend: I go to buy a specific brand and size shoe...I have to hunt down the guy (he is wearing street clothes) and doesn't ask if he can help me although I do my clueless act (natural for me)...shoe is not available...and they can't do jack about getting the shoe in the size I need...so they direct me to the Internet. :censored:

I go into a store to buy socks...granted it's just socks but it is an expensive mall I'm sure to pay rent in....and they just opened last week...and the lady at the register makes no eye contact...no hi...no go fist yourself...nothing....(I wonder how many pairs they have to sell in a month just to pay the rent and labor).

Being generic here, but I think customer service has for the most part gone by the way of the do do bird.

I've found that most LCS I have visited (I have visited many in many states) simply man the register and make sure you don't steal anything. And even that is a stretch for some of the staff.

You add in the customer service element, the increased costs of just maintaining a brick store front...the ease of most collectors in getting what they need on line...and you have a recipe for LCS downsizings. I won't even go into the target market diminishing over time. Sad but true.

rantrant

OK, my LCS: has its ups and downs. Better than most, but could be better.

dcbs comics already at my house. Wednesday releases on my doorstep by noon on thursday. heaven

And then people complain when the stores in their hometowns close :cry:

This thread was definately not intended to be an indictment of every LCS in the country....far from it. There are a whole bunch of great stores around (especially in the south) with stellar service, selection, etc. There is a great store here too....Hot Comics & Collectibles in New Hope. They don't have the biggest selection in the twin cities or anything, but the service is always top notch. Other shops could take a lesson from the guys in New Hope.

It just sucks when there are otherwise cool stores that are ruined by poor (or no) service. Annihilus usually hits 4 LCS's every couple of weeks in the area and has many times made decisions not to purchase something because of the service. There have been many times that clerks have not spoken one word to any customers in the store during the entire visit, including checkout.

Some cool stores with great service in the past:

The aforementioned Hot Comics in New Hope, MN

Golden Age Collectibles (Pike's Place Market, Seattle)

Collectibles, Etc. (Lexington, KY)

Moonlite Comics (Frankfort, KY).....this was back in the mid-90's, moonlite

Comic Quest (Evansville, IN)

Page 3's Game Zone (Pikeville, KY)

*edit....almost forgot the great guys at The Source (Falcon Heights, MN)

There are tons of others with great service. It's just too bad that some of the LCS's don't realize just how much potential business they're losing.

s'ok, I forgot to put the little :baiting: graemlin in for Pirate.

The couple of LCS that have been closest to him have closed over the last 3 years (like 2-3 stores) but I don't think they tried real hard on comics or really even knew much about that area.

Matt Groenning(sp) of the simpsons fame grew up in this area.He model the comic retailer after the shop in Eugene.And yes I am serious.Wore plain pants(same pair) for 15 years.Greasy hair,the whole nine yards.So if you are ever in Eugene,Or drop in and see for yourself.Its called emerald city comics.