• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Avengers #1 (splash) found at a garage sale

38 posts in this topic

This is cross-posted from Comics General...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1847997&page=1#Post1847997

Avengers artwork found!!

Ok, I guess the cat's out of the bag so I'm free to talk about it now...

I got a call on Wednesday from a local dealer I know who was trying to id an early Avengers page and some EC work. He took pictures with his phone and sent them to me. When I saw the first page to Avengers #1 I totally freaked... as far as I knew that was not supposed to exist. My friend had already made an offer not knowing exactly what the art was and the guy who was selling and his wife kind of freaked. They thanked him and, as any smart seller would do, were going to shop it around a bit. I guess they went to Heritage and found out it was stolen... although the Avengers #1 splash *did* have the Marvel return stamp on the back of it... guess that doesn't mean it wasn't stolen.

The story they told my friend pretty much matches up with what's in the article... garage sale, $1. He also had an old movie poster he claimed (thru research I assume) was worth $4,000.

The other pages were a 6 page Jack Davis story out of Crypt Of Terror #24 -- The Death Wagon.

Here are the pictures I was sent...

42347-2722164263_ORIG.jpeg

42345-2722545262_ORIG.jpeg

42346-2722493974_ORIG.jpeg

I just got off the phone with my friend. He added some interesting thoughts...

Yesterday he called the seller to make a better offer and the seller was on the other line with Heritage. Heritage told him the art was worth $60,000. On exactly what planet is this worth $60,000? After talking with a couple of high-end dealers... folks who would definitely know... we came up with this:

Avengers #1 splash... $15,000 - $20,000 (face it, that page really sucks)

Crypt Of Terror #24 Jack Davis 6 page story... $6,000 - $8,000

Warren Frankenstein pages by Russ Jones... $400 - $800

So on the high side we are just shy of $30,000. Even if you add in Heritage's 20% on the front-end and 20% on the back-end you only come up to $42,000 (close to the $48,000 in the story). So how did Heritage come up with $60,000?

Also, what database did Heritage use to find out this stuff was stolen? I know there are a few web pages out there but, as far as I know, these pages are not even known to exist.

Also, also, Hertiage still has possession of these pages. Shouldn't the cops have these as evidence? Since when does Heritage get to keep stolen merchandise?

So, if I put on my tin-foil hat I begin to smell a rat. I wonder if these will become a feature in a future Heritage auction at some point in the future... ?

Yesterday he called the seller to make a better offer and the seller was on the other line with Heritage. Heritage told him the art was worth $60,000. On exactly what planet is this worth $60,000? After talking with a couple of high-end dealers... folks who would definitely know... we came up with this:

So on the high side we are just shy of $30,000. Even if you add in Heritage's 20% on the front-end and 20% on the back-end you only come up to $42,000 (close to the $48,000 in the story). So how did Heritage come up with $60,000?

Also, what database did Heritage use to find out this stuff was stolen? I know there are a few web pages out there but, as far as I know, these pages are not even known to exist.

Also, also, Hertiage still has possession of these pages. Shouldn't the cops have these as evidence? Since when does Heritage get to keep stolen merchandise?

So, if I put on my tin-foil hat I begin to smell a rat. I wonder if these will become a feature in a future Heritage auction at some point in the future... ?

This is a very weird story to be sure.

I posted this on the other thread too -- but I think that splash would go for WAY more than $15k to $20k. It's a Marvel Silver Age #1 issue splash, and in spite of Loki's giant schnozz being the focal point of the artwork, it has all the Avengers in the side panel. Not a lot of splashes from #1 issues floating around.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out of this. And if the art is stolen, should't the original owner be getting the pages back? (unless they were being sent to Heritage when they were stolen).

This is a very weird story to be sure.

I posted this on the other thread too -- but I think that splash would go for WAY more than $15k to $20k. It's a Marvel Silver Age #1 issue splash, and in spite of Loki's giant schnozz being the focal point of the artwork, it has all the Avengers in the side panel. Not a lot of splashes from #1 issues floating around.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out of this. And if the art is stolen, should't the original owner be getting the pages back? (unless they were being sent to Heritage when they were stolen).

I agree Steve,

A panel page from issue number 1 sold almost 2 years ago for $14k. Hell, there are Kirby FF panel pages moving for $25-35k. There is NO WAY the page 1 splash to Avengers 1 with all the avengers rendered is less than triple the price for which a panel page from the same issue sells.

Chris

I would agree with Steve here. I think if the page reaches heritage it will sell for 30-40k or more. Some of the splashes to later issues trade hands in the 25k range and even though they are better laid out or more attractive pages this is the SPLASH to AVENGERS #1. I will have to call my bank about a second mortgage I guess...

Glad to know I was right with my initial assessment. I sooooo badly wanted to post on here and get some opinions but I was asked to keep it under my hat.

I initially told my friend, "$30k+... early Ditko Spidey prices", but I was trumped by several others who shot much lower.

Actually I just had a thought. This might have been KK's artwork. And now images of it have been posted all over the Internet through the local news and now here on the boards.

So it's worthless now.

I'll buy it for a buck.

:grin:

I'm not so sure about the coloring book thing either. What kind of coloring book can you put twice up pages in?

The story told to my friend was they bought them for $1 per page. They were going to give them to their daughter to color (same as they say in the interview).

I'm not so sure about the coloring book thing either. What kind of coloring book can you put twice up pages in?

The story told to my friend was they bought them for $1 per page. They were going to give them to their daughter to color (same as they say in the interview).

Well, no matter where they end up now, at least that disaster was averted.

I can't watch the video at work, but everything about this story sounds weird. And honestly, I'm a bit boggled that Stronguy's friend who's a local dealer didn't know that was the splash to Avengers 1? And didn't recognize EC horror art? Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

I wasn't sure from the thread if people thought this was stolen from Marvel (back in the days) or more recently. In seeing the Avengers #1 splash, I have to assume it was stolen more recently.

Maybe my memory is failing me (every day that goes by, I'm getting older), but I thought the Avengers #1 splash was part of the Tony Christopher collection and, when the collection was sold, that splash went to one of the dealers involved with the deal. If all I remember is true, it would be odd to see it surface at a garage sale.

Additionally, if it's the same page I remember (and I seem to remember seeing it in person), the page had been professionally "cleaned" as some other early Marvel pages were to make the paper look really white.

As far as current value, I'd estimate $40k (more if it were cash + trade). The Kirby market is hot and regular Thor splashes are being priced in the $20k+ realm these days. Although it may not be the best piece Kirby & Ayers ever produced, it is a #1. As others mentioned, that counts for something! There aren't many other splashes from Marvel keys that have surfaced. As far as the Silver Age keys, here's my knowledge of what's out there (someone please correct me if I've incorrectly listed something):

AF #15 - Hasn't Surfaced

ASM #1 - Hasn't Surfaced

DD #1 - Splash doesn't exist (statted off cover?)

FF#1 - Hasn't Surfaced

FF #4 - Hasn't Surfaced

FF #5 - Primary splash was restored (top 1/3 was torn off); Chapter splashes exist

Hulk #1 - Hasn't Surfaced

JIM #83 - Exists and is broken up

JIM #85 - Exists and is broken up

Sgt. Fury #1 - Hasn't Surfaced

ST #101 - ?

ST #110 - Hasn't Surfaced

ST #115 - Hasn't Surfaced

TOS #39 - Exists, but hasn't been broken up

TTA #27 - Exists, but hasn't been broken up

TTA #35 -?

X-Men #1 - Has been complete (not sure if it will stay that way)

I can't watch the video at work, but everything about this story sounds weird. And honestly, I'm a bit boggled that Stronguy's friend who's a local dealer didn't know that was the splash to Avengers 1? And didn't recognize EC horror art? Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

He's a "modern" dealer and also deals in modern art... no clue about Golden/Silver Age stuff. He knew it was an early Avengers splash but didn't know it was from #1, just that it had Loki on it -- dead give-away for me.

I had to look up the EC stuff to figure out the issue and that it was Jack Davis.

I've still never heard of Russ Jones who did the Frankenstein pieces.

This artwork was stolen recently (as within the past 60 days) from the Dallas/Ft.Worth airport.

The movie poster that was mentioned belongs to me and was a lobby card from xxx (sorry I had to remove the name).

The artwork all belonged to a well-known musician and was on it's way to Heritage when it was stolen.