• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Hellboy

21 posts in this topic

I'll bring out an oft-used example from the other collectible fields, including comics:

"A first character appearance (as noted in Guides, etc.) must be part of a regular print run comic distributed through the usual channels".

I'd be very surprised if CGC denotes this Con Premium as the 1st Hellboy, as it goes against accepted dogma.

We all know that the real first appearance of Hellboy is worth much more.

insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

San Diego Comic Con 2 is the first appearance of Hellboy - it is a real Hellboy story, unlike a "flashback" story that is in Next Men 21.

San Diego Comic Con 2 is the first appearance of Hellboy - it is a real Hellboy story, unlike a "flashback" story that is in Next Men 21.

But it's not a regular issue available through the standard channels, so it fails the "collectibles first-appearance test".

And I'm not joking. This became a big problem during the early 90's for comics and cards (where companies would try and corner the first-app market with some limited edition BS), and I have read this edict in many places, including Overstreet.

But it's not a regular issue available through the standard channels, so it fails the "collectibles first-appearance test".

And I'm not joking. This became a big problem during the early 90's for comics and cards (where companies would try and corner the first-app market with some limited edition BS), and I have read this edict in many places, including Overstreet.

I would have to agree. Next Men #21 should be considered the first appearance.

unlike a "flashback" story that is in Next Men 21.

The Next Men 21 (pub. dec. 1993) story isn't a flashback though.

Hellboy appears, drawn by Mignola. He interacts with the two kids in a sewer and fights a monster that is threatening them. One of the kids mentions that it's the comic character Hellboy created by Mike Mignola.

It's then revealed that Hellboy and the monster are figments of another character's imagination - she's a comic book fan who works for a comic book company - her emerging powers can make fictional characters come to life. Hellboy and the monster presumably disappear... because they never existed.

So it's an appearance of sorts. Not a flashback story. It's Hellboy... but it's not Hellboy.... oh vey.... my head hurts... sort of like Strange Tales 114 isn't really the first Silver Age appearance of Captain America.

...and San Diego Comic-Con Comics 2 is a first appearance of sorts... but because it was not published thru standard channels it's on par with an ashcan comic or other give-aways that precedes the actual publication thru standard means comic book appearance....

That makes the first true, "in-continuity", actual, bona-fide appearance of Hellboy, published thru standard channels Hellboy: Seed of Destruction 1 (pub. Mar. 1994).

Kev.

unlike a "flashback" story that is in Next Men 21.

The Next Men 21 (pub. dec. 1993) story isn't a flashback though.

Hellboy appears, drawn by Mignola. He interacts with the two kids in a sewer and fights a monster that is threatening them. One of the kids mentions that it's the comic character Hellboy created by Mike Mignola.

It's then revealed that Hellboy and the monster are figments of another character's imagination - she's a comic book fan who works for a comic book company - her emerging powers can make fictional characters come to life. Hellboy and the monster presumably disappear... because they never existed.

So it's an appearance of sorts. Not a flashback story. It's Hellboy... but it's not Hellboy.... oh vey.... my head hurts... sort of like Strange Tales 114 isn't really the first Silver Age appearance of Captain America.

...and San Diego Comic-Con Comics 2 is a first appearance of sorts... but because it was not published thru standard channels it's on par with an ashcan comic or other give-aways that precedes the actual publication thru standard means comic book appearance....

That makes the first true, "in-continuity", actual, bona-fide appearance of Hellboy, published thru standard channels Hellboy: Seed of Destruction 1 (pub. Mar. 1994).

Kev.

I think I need a beer... foreheadslap.gif

Is the San Diego comic con book an original story printed FOR that book or is it a preview story or something else that has been reprinted since in a regular issue? For me that makes all the difference. I dont count preview books (ie Absolute Vertigo being the first Preacher) as first appearances since they arent really anything but a partial story to be printed in a future issue of a real series.

I'd say if it was an original story, then it's worthy of at least some credit as a first appearance. I know its the one I'd want. It's scarcer, it predates Next Men, and it's not some weird non continuity story.

I dont know if any of that made sense. confused-smiley-013.gif

No, it makes sense.

I believe the SDCC Comics (I've never actually seen it) has at least one short story that was printed in black and white. I think it's the one where Hellboy rescues a damsel from the Nazi guy who's head is in a jar and has a gorilla assistant. There may also be a story where Hellboy finds a giant dog at a gas station and blows it up.

Those stories were reprinted in the back of one of the Hellboy TPBs.

There have been original Hellboy stories presented in Dark Horse Presents handouts.

Kev

From www.hellboy.com:

San Diego Comic Con Comics #2

(Dark Horse Comics), August 1993.

Contains a short Hellboy and Anubis one-shot. The "Anubis story" was later reprinted in the Hellboy: Seed of Destruction compilations. Published by Dark Horse. Published August 1993. Produced for the 1993 San Diego Comic Con. This item was a promotional item and not offered for retail sale.

Mike Mignola's Hellboy: World's Greatest Paranormal Investigator

(Dark Horse Comics/Legend), inserted into

The Comics Buyer's Guide #1070, May 20, 1994.

Summary and Notes: "Mike Mignola's Hellboy: World's Greatest Paranormal Investigator, Supplement to The Comics Buyer's Guide." Cover by Mike Mignola; "It was all his idea": Mike Mignola; "Along for the ride": John Byrne. Insert was four pages long and printed in black and white. The story was later reprinted in the Hellboy: Seed of Destruction compilations. Story features Brutus the Gorilla and Herman Von Klempt. Published by Dark Horse for CBG. Published May 20, 1994. Cover price for The Comics Buyer's Guide #1070 was $2.50 USD.

Came out between Hellboy: Seed of Destruction #3 and #4.

Kev

Certainly the Next Men issue will be considered by most (including Overstreet and CGC) as the first appearance. A small minority of people will consider the San Diego promo comic to the be the first. It will be interesting to see what the San Diego issue goes for.

Meanwhile I'm sending my Next Men #21 to CGC. I didn't know they were going for that much in high grade.