• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else only collect old blue label CGC books (if graded)

66 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am new here but been in the comic game for a while. I am not so much into the whole "graded books" thing as I like to have the option to open and touch my books (unless of course its a very high grade and/or key) but I do have a nice amount. anyway, But back to the topic. Does anyone else just (try to) collect the older blue label (or red) CGC books if possible?

Is it just me or are the older graded books a lot more accurate in the grade? I see some high grade (9.0/9.2+) newly graded books look much worse then its grade. (Some 9.0/9.2 books I have seen look at best 8.5)

Maybe its just me, but if I have to buy a graded book. it takes me quiet a while to find one that looks to be accurate in grade, if newly graded (last 2-3 years) but not so much with the older labels. Hence the reason why I mostly have older label books! hm

Just wondering if there are many more out there that feel the same way

In my opinion, on the whole, old label books were graded more strictly than new label books. PQ was definitely graded a lot more strictly with old label books. There has been a plethora of "white" pages with newly slabbed books lately, and I seriously wonder how many would have been "off-white to white" at best in an old label. Similarly, I recently purchased some recently slabbed file copies lately that were labeled "off-white" but which looked like they might have been "cream to off-white" candidates under the old label.

I agree. In fact, someone recently posted a book that had been resubmitted to CGC that previously graded off white pages with the old label, but when it came back it had off white to white pages. I think it was The Beyonder.

I agree. In fact, someone recently posted a book that had been resubmitted to CGC that previously graded off white pages with the old label, but when it came back it had off white to white pages. I think it was The Beyonder.

PQ has gone up on almost every old label book I've cracked out to submit for Sig Series. CGC was definately stricter on PQ during that era

I figured I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I have heard, and seen. that the graders a few years back where a lot more strict .and if you put 7 high grade old label CGC books against 7 high grade new label books (same issues, same grades) you will see the older labeled ones look noticeably better on at least 5 of them (regardless of PQ)

however, it doesn't really affect the price too much (on the open market) hm

wonder why CGC loosened up on their grading standards of late (that's if they even did, though it seems that way)

wonder why CGC loosened up on their grading standards of late (that's if they even did, though it seems that way)

I assume you`re asking this question rhetorically, because the answer is blindingly obvious.

I assume you`re asking this question rhetorically, because the answer is blindingly obvious.

No question its obvious, its a shame. but obvious. which is why (at least in my case) if I am buying a CGC book on line. old labels have more value

I find it funny/sad when I run into a early SA key graded 8.0 (new) and you see serious marvel chipping etc. when not too long ago (5 years) this issue doesn't get higher then a 7.0 (which is a grand or more in profit lost/gained)

In my opinion, on the whole, old label books were graded more strictly than new label books. PQ was definitely graded a lot more strictly with old label books. There has been a plethora of "white" pages with newly slabbed books lately, and I seriously wonder how many would have been "off-white to white" at best in an old label. Similarly, I recently purchased some recently slabbed file copies lately that were labeled "off-white" but which looked like they might have been "cream to off-white" candidates under the old label.

That is the way it always seems to go.Both with cgc and pgx.Both were much stricter in the beginning.

That is the way it always seems to go.Both with cgc and pgx.Both were much stricter in the beginning.

Although the old Blue label books were generally graded stricter(in my experience)...the risk of SCS is also greater due to the old inner well. Really need to make sure there's no evidence of post-slabbing damage.

what's SCS?

Although the old Blue label books were generally graded stricter(in my experience)...the risk of SCS is also greater due to the old inner well. Really need to make sure there's no evidence of post-slabbing damage.

what's SCS?

shaken comic syndrome:

prone to happening to older slabs in which the inner well did not secure the book firmly within the slab, thus the books were prone to being damaged despite being slabbed

Or to put it another way, buy the old label because it reduces the odds that the book has been pressed and resubbed multiple times.

Note that I said, reduces the odds. It doesn't guarantee it.

Red

The FF 1 9.6 got that PQ bump too didn't it?