• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chasing a big bronze age comic collection

34 posts in this topic

Update:

The collection was sold to someone else. Apparently I was second in line, and not surprisingly, the first person bought them.

Despite this, I appreciate everyones advice that you gave, it will help me in the future when I try to buy another collection. This will sting for a little while, but I'll get over it.

The thing is, they gave me the impression I would be able to see it, even if there were other parties involved, before they sold it to someone else. The lesson from this is not to expect the average joe to function like an ethical business... or with common courtesy (but... I guess I already knew this).

The thing is, they gave me the impression I would be able to see it, even if there were other parties involved, before they sold it to someone else. The lesson from this is not to expect the average joe to function like an ethical business... or with common courtesy (but... I guess I already knew this).

Speaking as someone who was a show dealer for over a decade you have to know how insanely competitive buying collections can be. I lost dozens of collections because I would not strong arm sellers or bad mouth other buyers.

You might have a situation where the people selling had an asking price and the first buyer met that price. But you might just as easily have a situation where the first buyer waved some greenbacks in front of them and said his offer was good for right here and right now only and when it walks out the door he's not coming back. That threat/promise/tactic works on ALOT of people.

If that doesn't work, alot of guys will begin to discuss how other folks won't pay what he will, etc etc.

In support of most of the really good guys who try and buy these collections I have been lied to by sellers who said they were not selling until "X" date and would entertain all offers up until that date only to have them change their terms and pull the rug out from under most of the people.

There are no ethics really, no standards, just whatever each individual person's integrity is made up of....it's not alot in some cases.

C

Thanks comix4fun. It is really interesting isn't it. The seller was asking $400 for the collection, which was an outstanding opening amount to negotiate from as a buyer. Perhaps the person who ended up buying it offered $450 to close the deal immediately.

fun reading this. I passed on the wherehouse group that I was looking at a few weeks ago. From what i saw the only things that looked good might have been a box of valiants, but it was not worth dealing with the other 10k+ books to get those.

I have found a new one that I am looking at tomorrow. It is supposed to be about 1500 books that was an actual collection. They are suposed to be organized in long boxes. they were acuired by the ex wife when her hubby left 13+ years ago.

Speaking as someone who was a show dealer for over a decade you have to know how insanely competitive buying collections can be. I lost dozens of collections because I would not strong arm sellers or bad mouth other buyers.

You might have a situation where the people selling had an asking price and the first buyer met that price. But you might just as easily have a situation where the first buyer waved some greenbacks in front of them and said his offer was good for right here and right now only and when it walks out the door he's not coming back. That threat/promise/tactic works on ALOT of people.

If that doesn't work, alot of guys will begin to discuss how other folks won't pay what he will, etc etc.

In support of most of the really good guys who try and buy these collections I have been lied to by sellers who said they were not selling until "X" date and would entertain all offers up until that date only to have them change their terms and pull the rug out from under most of the people.

There are no ethics really, no standards, just whatever each individual person's integrity is made up of....it's not alot in some cases.

C

Yep. Exactly.

Sellers can be as unethical a buyers. I've been looking into purchasing a local collection for 3 years, and each time I make my offer, the reply is the same:"I've got a better offer elsewhere". Well, you know what, it's been 3 years and they are STILL there. Do the math.

Don't get into a bidding war with imaginary competitors. Instead, walk away, and let the seller come to you.

The seller was asking $400 for the collection, which was an outstanding opening amount to negotiate from as a buyer.

---------------------------------

You probably should have pounced on that fast, not waited. Even if it was mid-grade and had a chunk of 80s stuff, 20 cents a book sounds pretty good, particularly because it sounds like the 80s stuff was mainstream marvels and such. You could have unloaded the lousy stuff here for 50 cents a book! It's not like we were talking about a collection amassed in '91-'94.

Yes, but I never really got a chance at them. Apparently, I was second in line the whole time.

They told me to call them tuesday night and then I'd be able to come by. I had already planned to be out all day with my kids, so I thought I would quickly call while I was already out, then head over and check the books out. Remember, I was led to believe I basically had an open appointment. My understanding was that I was going to get to see them in the very least.

I called at 7, no answer, called again at 8, no answer, called again at 9, no answer... then again at 9:30 and finally got a hold of the person and they told me they already sold the books.

When I came home I checked my email and they had sent me an email where they said that they sold them at 6:45pm. Had I called at 6pm and been able to arrange a time, the seller gave me the impression in their last email that I was in fact second in line so I would only get a shot at the books if the first person passed on them.

Had I known this earlier, perhaps I could have offered 450 or 500. As I was thinking that I was getting first shot... I thought I would be offering somewhere between 300 and 400 depending on condition... and if they didn't budge, fine I would pay 400.

I guess I should have called them first at 5pm... then every half hour after that... and tried to pry it from potential other buyers... I didn't really want to be that pushy though... but I guess if you are chasing after a collection, you have to do just that and assume you aren't the only party interested in it. Also, who cares if I come across as being pushy, I'll likely never see them again...

Yes, but I never really got a chance at them. Apparently, I was second in line the whole time.

Had I known this earlier, perhaps I could have offered 450 or 500. As I was thinking that I was getting first shot... I thought I would be offering somewhere between 300 and 400 depending on condition... and if they didn't budge, fine I would pay 400.

As you stated in your initial post on this collection...............life goes on if you do not acquire this collection.

I believe your mistake was to assume that you was first in line. Based upon this line of thinking, it appears as though you was planning to low ball the seller on what was already a good price. Especially in light of the fact that FD and some of the other posters already stated that $800 (or double the seller's original price) was a good deal.

You probably also lost the collection because the seller might have known you was planning to bargain him down even further on his price. Seller probably didn't want to go through this hassle and decided to take the first guy who was willing to meet his price.

Sometimes, you just have to take the plunge when the deal looks right. Too much nickel and diming often ends up in collections being lost. hm

As you stated in your initial post on this collection...............life goes on if you do not acquire this collection.

I believe your mistake was to assume that you was first in line. Based upon this line of thinking, it appears as though you was planning to low ball the seller on what was already a good price. Especially in light of the fact that FD and some of the other posters already stated that $800 (or double the seller's original price) was a good deal.

You probably also lost the collection because the seller might have known you was planning to bargain him down even further on his price. Seller probably didn't want to go through this hassle and decided to take the first guy who was willing to meet his price.

Sometimes, you just have to take the plunge when the deal looks right. Too much nickel and diming often ends up in collections being lost. hm

The seller would have had no idea that I may have offered less than 400, we never got that far. You are right though, I should not have assumed that I was first in line. My second mistake was not knowing what to pay. If I was a little more seasoned, I would have just said yes to the $400... or have given them higher, just to lock up the deal. Live and learn.

One of my best buys was some early silver age x-men 2 being the best book in vf.All in all 200 books.Im looking throught them and I asked what they were looking at for them.The woman told me they had a offer of 500.But might offer more if anyone else bid.So im thinking might cost me 1500 or so.But the woman shocks me by saying that they really dont care for the other buyer and 500 will do it.Needless to say I couldnt get my money out fast enough.