• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Like pirhanas on a slab of fresh meat...

581 posts in this topic

Why did the first post have to mention something about the seller? You can think what you want about someone paying 1500 for an Avengers 72....but was it necessary to use the realized price to take a poke at Matt? I think Matt is a nice guy. Pressing is what it is. You can like or dis-like the service he offers, but have a little class when you make a statement like that.

Scott

crying.jpg

Hey Vaporlok......suk it buddy. Every time you post, the more I'm convinced what a loser you are, loser. I don't expect you to have any class whenever you post your witticisms, so that statement about class was not directed at you. In case you missed it earlier in this post, I'll repeat it-----suk it.

By the way.....the crying baby pics are so last year, surely you can do better?

Nah.....you can't.

Scott

bph032.jpg

Vaporsuk,

Wow.....this still is not funny. Try posting it, I don't know....37 more times and maybe it will be funny by then. Loser.

Scott

160_crying_baby_051116.jpg

Why did the first post have to mention something about the seller? You can think what you want about someone paying 1500 for an Avengers 72....but was it necessary to use the realized price to take a poke at Matt? I think Matt is a nice guy. Pressing is what it is. You can like or dis-like the service he offers, but have a little class when you make a statement like that.

Scott

crying.jpg

Hey Vaporlok......suk it buddy. Every time you post, the more I'm convinced what a loser you are, loser. I don't expect you to have any class whenever you post your witticisms, so that statement about class was not directed at you. In case you missed it earlier in this post, I'll repeat it-----suk it.

By the way.....the crying baby pics are so last year, surely you can do better?

Nah.....you can't.

Scott

bph032.jpg

Vaporsuk,

Wow.....this still is not funny. Try posting it, I don't know....37 more times and maybe it will be funny by then. Loser.

Scott

160_crying_baby_051116.jpg

Only 36 more to go Vaporsuk. Come on....you can do it .

the only assumption anyone CAN make is that he does press every book. and he can blame only himself for that because he doesn’t disclose it.

and the fact that he doesn’t disclose makes asking him if a certain book is pressed or not

as Red Hook suggested a mute point in my opinion.

Would there be pages sticking above the cover on a baseball card or postage stamp?

lol

Cards and stamp grading does not allow for bad centering and imperfect cutting in suich high grade, yet comics do.

No, the original poster clearly did not infer that every book Matt sells is pressed. Go back and read it again.

I don't assume every book Matt sells is pressed and I doubt too many people believe that either. But until it is made clear which specific books he is selling have been pressed, then the question will linger about all of them.

Grasp that distinction and you will begin to understand the dilemma facing both Matt and his potential customers.

Anyway, one thing I am sure of.....Matt is smarter than all of us, because while we spend valuable time debating this, all he does is cash the checks! lol (and I don't mean that as an insult.)

He also clearly states in his auctions that the books are "guaranteed unrestored" as if there was no controversy surrounding whether pressing constitutes restoration. It's one thing to not disclose pressing and put the onus on prospective buyers to ask the question, but this statement is deceptive and intended to mislead that the books have not been tampered with.

I agree with an earlier poster that we can always choose not to buy from him -- I never have and never will -- but most of the market is not aware of his shenanigans and they should be so they too can make an informed decision of whether to buy from him or not.

No, the original poster clearly did not infer that every book Matt sells is pressed. Go back and read it again.

I don't assume every book Matt sells is pressed and I doubt too many people believe that either. But until it is made clear which specific books he is selling have been pressed, then the question will linger about all of them.

Grasp that distinction and you will begin to understand the dilemma facing both Matt and his potential customers.

Anyway, one thing I am sure of.....Matt is smarter than all of us, because while we spend valuable time debating this, all he does is cash the checks! lol (and I don't mean that as an insult.)

He also clearly states in his auctions that the books are "guaranteed unrestored" as if there was no controversy surrounding whether pressing constitutes restoration. It's one thing to not disclose pressing and put the onus on prospective buyers to ask the question, but this statement is deceptive and intended to mislead that the books have not been tampered with.

I agree with an earlier poster that we can always choose not to buy from him -- I never have and never will -- but most of the market is not aware of his shenanigans and they should be so they too can make an informed decision of whether to buy from him or not.

I think the most basic point that all of you guys are missing is this....his graded books, that you assume are all pressed, are in BLUE LABEL CGC SLABS!!! Don't you pay for a restoration check when you have a book graded by CGC?? Is pressing deemed restoration by CGC? Are the books that he is selling flying a purple label? NO, they are not. Obviously pressing is not restoration to CGC, so why in the hell should he have to disclose anything?

Now....where is my crying baby pic??

Scott

I think the most basic point that all of you guys are missing is this....his graded books, that you assume are all pressed, are in BLUE LABEL CGC SLABS!!! Don't you pay for a restoration check when you have a book graded by CGC?? Is pressing deemed restoration by CGC? Are the books that he is selling flying a purple label? NO, they are not. Obviously pressing is not restoration to CGC, so why in the hell should he have to disclose anything?

Scott

We're not missing anything.

a) Again, for the record, I do not assume they are all pressed.

b) Just becauses CGC says pressing isn't restoration, doesn't mean it isn't a form of restoration. Ever hear of independent thinking? I can like CGC's services in general but still disagree with them vehemently on this point. Seeing a book in a blue label tells me most of what I want to know about a book, but unfortunately, because of CGC's stance, it doesn't tell me all I really want to know. That makes me feel less confident in a blue label than you do. It's a lot better than buying raw, but it doesn't make me feel 100% secure, which is the way CGC wants me to approach their product.

c) Matt doesn't have to do anything. He's obviously weighed the plusses and minuses of disclosing pressing upfront, and decided (for now) that he has less to lose financially by continuing not to mention it in his auctions. I'm sure he's aware that there is a segment of the collecting community that won't bid on his auctions because of his reputation for not disclosing the books he does press, and factored that into the equation.

So to spend that kind of money on book from someone who is known to press books is kinda crazy considering it could just be a 9.4/9.6.

Is this still a 6.5? You might think so, but I certainly don't...

americasbest7.jpg

the only assumption anyone CAN make is that he does press every book. and he can blame only himself for that because he doesn’t disclose it.

and the fact that he doesn’t disclose makes asking him if a certain book is pressed or not

hm If only it were a moot point rather than a mute one ...

Then, we could finally achieve world peace and sleep comfortably in the assumption that Matt Nelson is, in fact, the Devil.

hm If only it were a moot point rather than a mute one ...

Then, we could finally achieve world peace and sleep comfortably in the assumption that Matt Nelson is, in fact, the Devil.

"It's a moo point really. It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo."

It was a slabbed 6.5 that I sent to Matt, then re-subbed to CGC.

Well, then, regardless of what CGC thinks, I personally think it's a restored 9.0. Nice book but restored. It should be in a purple label. Obviously, when it comes to restoration, I'm a hardliner.

That said, it's a beautiful book....it's in a blue label (which just goes to show why a blue label is never the whole story), and I wish you years of enjoyment from owning it.

There is just no way I can put this book in the same category as a book that never had any work done on it. I would keep it a 6.5 and never let anyone mess with it. But that's me.

This is definitely a case of the slab not only serving as a means of certification, but as a method of concealment.

Now....where is my crying baby pic??

Scott

Then he should say "guaranteed unrestored pursuant to CGC's definition of that term." The market has not settled the issue and what he's written is simply misleading.

The day Matt discloses pressing in his auctions, is the day you have a comback to Deathlok or anyone else having a poke at Matt.

Well since everyone and their mothers just assume Matt presses every single book he sells, what difference will it make if he discloses or not?

It seems that you have already made up your mind he presses everything to higher grades right, so would it really make a difference or would you buy from him if he did disclose? (shrug)

Nik, that argument is circular, since he won't disclose which one's he presses and which he does not the only alternative is exactly to assume that they are all pressed. This is real chicken and egg stuff. I think Matt opens up his entire inventory to the pressing assumption with lack of disclosure and I cannot defend him on that point because of it.

Taken a step further, what are the odds that the buyer knows the book has been potentially pressed? Rather than asking would person X buy from Matt if they knew the book was pressed, a better measure of consumer happiness or lack there of would be to assess how many people who have bought a pressed book off Matt who did not know it was pressed would seek to have their money returned? You see your point about would you is hypothetical, while the post-buy reaction I feel is a better indicator as the consumer is financially invested, in this case to the tune of 1500, so I think their reaction is a tad more revealing of the consumer mindset.

2c

Is this still a 6.5? You might think so, but I certainly don't...

americasbest7.jpg

regardless, that's still a huge security breach to let those 4 guys waltz in there like that and immediately mistreat that poor phone. :gossip: