• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Retailer Incentive books

12 posts in this topic

Reading the "Jackpot" thread got me thinking about retailer incentive books. I've always liked them for some odd reason, and although I'd never buy a hot one, I have amassed a fairly decent collection of them.

So I figured I'd start a thread to discuss them in general. What was the first one? Which one is the best investment? Which one has lost/made you the most money? Which one has the coolest cover? etc, etc...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The platinum edition Spiderman-1 was the first I recall getting.

The coolest for me were the Comics Greatest World line from Dark Horse. Can't remember why but they were the first to come to mind.

Although it was not intended to be one,the Limited Edition Dark Knight was in effect a Dealer incentive as

the number of accounts exceeded the number of books.I had accounts with three distributors and only recieved two books. Many distributors witheld the book until accounts in arrears paid up. I sold one copy the day it arrived for $500 and sold over 700 raffle tickets for a buck apeice on the second book. What was strange was that Comics Unlimited charged each account full cover for this book whilst Crown gave them free.

My parents bought me Spider-Man #1 Plat. for my Christmas gift the year it came out. I think they paid like $500. Needless to say that didn't turn out well. I hate dealer incentives now.

Eric

Do you still have it?

Did it bring you joy that Christmas?

Can you remember what they gave you the year before?

Are you still sure it didn't turn out so well? thumbsup2.gif

I remember a friend telling me that he had a copy of every variant of Spiderman #1, green, gold, black, bagged, etc, kind of bragging about it. The early 90's were a strange time...

Soon after I was reading Wizard and they mentioned the Platinum version. I had great fun asking him if he had one of those, pretty sure that he didn't devil.gif

The look on his face was priceless. I don't recall but I'd be willing to bet he started hunting for one that same day

If the print run was 10000 and CGC census reports 239 have been slabbed, plus maybe the other grading services have seen a few. At about 2.5% of the print run is that the highest % of a print run of a book (incentive or not) to have been slabbed?

dave h

At about 2.5% of the print run is that the highest % of a print run of a book (incentive or not) to have been slabbed?

*cough* Ultimate Spider-man #1 White *cough*

There are a ton of those out there still, but stll it's 586 and counting at CGC. Can anyone believe there's 112 CGC 9.8's? 893whatthe.gif

If the print run was 10,000 and CGC census reports 239 have been slabbed, plus maybe the other grading services have seen a few. At about 2.5% of the print run is that the highest % of a print run of a book (incentive or not) to have been slabbed?

dave h

Batman 608 - 15/200: 7.5%

link

DAM

Ultimate Spider-man #1 White

I'm pretty ignorant (by choice) of what's going on with current comics. How many of these were distributed?

I guess only a limited print run like a promo or incentive book would have a chance of reaching a high % of books slabbed. That Jackpot Jim Lee Batman book sounds hard to beat.

dave h

Ultimate Spider-man #1 White

I'm pretty ignorant (by choice) of what's going on with current comics. How many of these were distributed?

A ton. Some of my stores had a bundle and they said they could get more. No way is USM White a limited issue, but it still has some ultra-high sub rates for a POS Modern.