• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone sold a car on ebay Motors?

39 posts in this topic

I want to sell my Land Roover Discovery II SUV (and btw -- why does this forum change the word "r-over" to "outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed" ?).

I tried Craig's List and the Chicago Tribune but just got a few of nibbles from people who made appointments to come see it but never showed up to look at it, and then got a guy who tried to do the "I'll pay with a cashier's check" scam (which was nipped in the bud when I told the guy that I would not release the car to him until my bank verified the authenticity of the cashier's check). :frustrated: I realize it's not the best time to sell an SUV but it's a great vehicle and our great danes are too old to jump up into it anymore, so it's not a practical vehicle for us to keep.

Anybody had experience selling a car or SUV on ebay motors? I have all the details and some good pics. Any advice, caveats, etc? Do you have people make appointments to see it or are people just willing to paypal you and come pick it up?

I am aware of the cash-back scams and all that. Just wondering if anybody here has actually done it.

Thanks!

--Steve

My mechanic buys and sells alot of cars on Ebay, I can ask him in the morning when he comes in.

Most of his buyers do drive down and pick up or trailer the cars back but the majority of cars he sells are vintage performance. I know he has sold to buyers in Europe in the past also.

The closest that I've done to what you ask - is sell a tournament style Bass Boat.

After numerous inquiries and low-bid offers, I sold it offline once the auction closed without hitting the reserve.

The buyer lived 3 cities away and drove over for a personal pickup and cash drop-off.

He was one of the ebay auction watchers, so I guess ebay was essentialy Ad space for a week.

I sold our Alfa Romeo duetto and bought our Audi A4, both transactions without a hitch. What do you want to know? hm

The duetto was bid on heavily, one guy in Denmark, and was sniped by a guy in Tuscon. Payment was by cashier's check. It took him about 5 months to pick it up and arrange transport!

The Audi purchase was local (east Bay) and we made an appointment to see it. Shook hands and returned the next weekend with a cashier's check. I wouldn't use PayPal unless it went overseas. A bank wire would be preferable.

The closest that I've done to what you ask - is sell a tournament style Bass Boat.

After numerous inquiries and low-bid offers, I sold it offline once the auction closed without hitting the reserve.

The buyer lived 3 cities away and drove over for a personal pickup and cash drop-off.

He was one of the ebay auction watchers, so I guess ebay was essentialy Ad space for a week.

Which is how it's set-up - No FVF - Same with Real Estate listings.

I sold my old Corvette via ebay...the bidding didn't hit my reserve price, but I was contacted after the auction by an interested buyer. The buyer sent me a bank check for the whole amount, and then arranged to have it shipped cross country. A wonderful transaction for both parties! I recommend giving Ebay a shot...

I sold my old Corvette via ebay...the bidding didn't hit my reserve price, but I was contacted after the auction by an interested buyer. The buyer sent me a bank check for the whole amount, and then arranged to have it shipped cross country. A wonderful transaction for both parties! I recommend giving Ebay a shot...

Excellent.

What year was your 'vette?