• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: BRONZE AGE SURVIVOR SERIES- Round 12

Choose one Bronze Age book to depart.  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one Bronze Age book to depart.

65 posts in this topic

Now now JC, by now surely you should know that everyone votes for different reasons and everyone has a different definition of what is and is not important.

Sure, but all this CGC Cover BS that crops up, where a totally common book is given mis-placed importance due to it's cover alone, is kind of irritating.

I can remember back when people used to actually READ their comics, not just look at covers through shiny plastic. :o

Now now JC, by now surely you should know that everyone votes for different reasons and everyone has a different definition of what is and is not important.

Sure, but all this CGC Cover BS that crops up, where a totally common book is given mis-placed importance due to it's cover alone, is kind of irritating.

I can remember back when people used to actually READ their comics, not just look at covers through shiny plastic. :o

Vince, I agree as a primarily Raw collector who cracks most of the slabs I buy, and this lends a lot of weight to why I think the Green Lantern / Green Arrow Issues should still be here, story is a very important part of those books.

Actually I was the one that said I'd love to have a 9.8 and for the record I never said it should be in this contest. I love the hulk / CA sterenko cover. End all.

I consider it silver and wouldn't put the book into a silver age survivor series either. For a book to be here, there should be some significance to the character's story line or with regards to a new direction or character involvement.

Actually, Gwen Stacy is the most influential person in the life of Peter Parker (at least until that recent ridiculous JMS story) and the VERY FIRST LONG RUNNING MAJOR CHARACTER TO EVER DIE IN COMICS. At least I think that is right. Probably the very first true Love Interest in comics as well. Characters like Lois Lane, Sue Storm were never dealt with in the same way Gwen was. It is a much more important book than AS #122 (especially since the Goblin didn't actually die), and it is the book that forever changed comics and Am Spider-man in particular.

Actually I was the one that said I'd love to have a 9.8 and for the record I never said it should be in this contest. I love the hulk / CA sterenko cover. End all.

I consider it silver and wouldn't put the book into a silver age survivor series either. For a book to be here, there should be some significance to the character's story line or with regards to a new direction or character involvement.

By this criteria, there is no more significant bronze age comic than Amazing Spider-man #121. It shaped the next 20 years of Amazing Spider-man and since Spider-man is the single most influential, popular and significant character in comics during that time, that makes this book the most important. The only book which could challenge it would be Giant Size X-men #1 and Hulk #181.